Gaming So what do you think of FFIV so far

svnelvn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd have to say the best part of ff4 is auto-battle system, i've always found it a waste of energy to click atk atk atk atk.

it's been bugging me since ff3 ds why SE can't install FMV cutscenes like they did with ff7 and ff8? i would much rather have separate FMV cutscenes than have everything shown at the intro. it would have felt like they are part of the gameplay and not just an intro to impress

oh, can somebody explain to me auto-potion from rosa? what does it do after i use it on to a character? is it permanent?

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got the auto potion attached to Rydia - but it never does anything
unsure.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after playing some more, I'd have to say it's definitely a bit toned down. In the Nintendo Power preview, they seemed to have suggested the difficulty was ramped up, but I'm finding it kind of easy. Yang, especially, is cheap-ass! I love him, but when they bring him in, he's way over-powered. I do like the fact that Edward is actually enjoyable to use as a bard. Having him sing Life's Anthem and continuously heal the party is a boon, for sure.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's great, I wish there were touch screen only controls but that's only because my D-Pad on my onyx DS lite is ruined. I need to replace the contacts soon.

I'm really into it and even if the voice acting is a little corny, it still brings a whole lot more to the experience.

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
Well, after playing some more, I'd have to say it's definitely a bit toned down. In the Nintendo Power preview, they seemed to have suggested the difficulty was ramped up, but I'm finding it kind of easy. Yang, especially, is cheap-ass! I love him, but when they bring him in, he's way over-powered. I do like the fact that Edward is actually enjoyable to use as a bard. Having him sing Life's Anthem and continuously heal the party is a boon, for sure.

In the original petrify was a killer but now you have 4 - 5 turns before your char turns to stone, which makes area's with monsters that cast it much easier. I haven't really noticed any other things done to make it easier and nothing making it harder.

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Despite the hype and whatnot. Hyped into another best FF by 'Another FF Fanclub Group'. I tend to think this game sucks. Yeah, may sound harsh. But I gotta describe it like that...

I started the game, the Intro caught my attention, although like 30 sec laters the lines began to bore the crap outta me. Typical RPG talk...

Saw whole the scene around the castle, again typical RPG bull**** but hell I lived with it. Hoping it would become better.

Did the first dungeon, was small. I can live with random battles, but they must be FUN. I don't find these battles fun at all. It just doesn't work as fluently as it should work. Also it lags!

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
ECJanga said:
Reached the next villages, saw some fire and some ring and another melodramatic scene, oh well, I continue, while hating all the music so far. Sounds so old and crappy and mostly annoying.

It's a faithful remake of an old game what were you expecting? If they changed the music FF IV fans would have a fit!

lcleong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
ECJanga said:
Despite the hype and whatnot. Hyped into another best FF by 'Another FF Fanclub Group'. I tend to think this game sucks. Yeah, may sound harsh. But I gotta describe it like that...

I started the game, the Intro caught my attention, although like 30 sec laters the lines began to bore the crap outta me. Typical RPG talk...

Saw whole the scene around the castle, again typical RPG bull**** but hell I lived with it. Hoping it would become better.

Did the first dungeon, was small. I can live with random battles, but they must be FUN. I don't find these battles fun at all. It just doesn't work as fluently as it should work. Also it lags!

PCU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why tell him to kill him self? He still likes the part he didn't complain about!

And at least he didn't say "I don't like RPG any way".

fenthwick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see any fps drop in battles in my game. It goes fluently with all the effects. However I've seen some dropps in a few cutscenes but that is no probs.

The only problem I have so far is
when Cecil is about to become a Paladin. The damn boss's second encounter is damn hard...*something comes to mind* hm I just've might found a way to kill him
ohmy.gif

Celes cole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ECJanga said:

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
Original FFIV isn't my favourite FF game but I like it more than the original FFIII. Can't really remember anything about FFV, I'm hoping they make it to FFVI and FFVII.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nin10do said:
paying for resting at the inn just reminds of of etrian odessey which i hated.
rofl2.gif

...wait, you're serious? I haven't played too many really recent RPGs, so I can't tell if you're joking or not. But until recently, every RPG had you pay to sleep in an inn. I remember being weirded out at playing one or two where you didn't, but I didn't realize it had become so common that you'd think that paying to rest at an inn is an "Etrian Odyssey thing". Seriously, you have no idea -- on most early RPGs, it was quite possible (even easy) to simply run out of money at low levels, and be too weak to earn more. It, um, added to the challenge, or something.

Next you'll probably say it was weird to have to pay to resurrect your characters individually. (I distinctly remember repeatedly replacing my thief in the original Wizardry, because they kept getting killed by traps and it was cheaper to replace them than to resurrect them.)

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fenthwick said:
I don't see any fps drop in battles in my game. It goes fluently with all the effects. However I've seen some dropps in a few cutscenes but that is no probs.

The only problem I have so far is
when Cecil is about to become a Paladin. The damn boss's second encounter is damn hard...*something comes to mind* hm I just've might found a way to kill him
ohmy.gif
Know what you mean...had to look for a damn walkthrough just to get through that part. >_> I hate those random status effects! Oh, and it was a bit annoying that his level went back to one afterwards.
tongue.gif

Rev Jim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
Some of these comments are laughable.
laugh.gif

Only about an hour and a half into it. So far I love it. At first I didn't care for the graphics, but they're growing on me. I don't know if it is my flashcart, but the loadtimes (can I call them that? loadtimes on a DS WTF) of a second or two to switch areas seem a little weird. Difficulty seems so/so, pretty fair, but not too easy. It's not SMT for God's sake. Just played the GBA version last Summer, so everything has been pretty familiar so far
biggrin.gif

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, ok. I just finished the 3rd dungeon, visited town again and now at the 4th dungeon (mountain really). And I have to take some words back.

Story:
Awesome! When I saw people dying I got happy. Call me evil, call me a sinner, I loved it. People dying! >=)
In the town though, it was kinda lacking again. Also, I hate those 'story in battle' parts. Gotta wait for the whole ATB bar to fill for something to happen =,=

Sound:
After a while it starts to annoy you less. Or maybe it's the fact that I did this dungeon without earphones.

Battles:
I still only enjoy boss battles. (Can't help it, most fun part of any game.) The battles still kinda annoy me.. Especially since Wait doesn't seem to work....

2h 35m and counting....

JBates

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rev Jim said:
Some of these comments are laughable.
laugh.gif

Only about an hour and a half into it. So far I love it. At first I didn't care for the graphics, but they're growing on me. I don't know if it is my flashcart, but the loadtimes (can I call them that? loadtimes on a DS WTF) of a second or two to switch areas seem a little weird. Difficulty seems so/so, pretty fair, but not too easy. It's not SMT for God's sake. Just played the GBA version last Summer, so everything has been pretty familiar so far
biggrin.gif
I played the GBA version a few years ago, and I loved it, so I'm afraid of playing this game and it sucking. I'd like to hear from anyone that's played the GBA version if it's worth it to replay on DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.