• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

So, uh... the gas prices

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Batteries do not transfer power, they store power. Power lines transfer power.
No shit Sherlock. Solar panels and wind turbines generate an excess of power back to the grid, which would ultimately be a good thing if we had the storage capacity to handle it, but we do not. Power lines are not capable of transferring energy from the Midwest all the way to the Northeast without severe degradation.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I live in the real world where they do. Wishing them away will not accomplish much.

I think student loans should be backed by the universities and the billions they receive in endowments, which are tax free. Then they will have skin in the game and not offer stupid degrees to people leading to jobs at Starbucks.

Instead they are taxpayer backed and people can't even claim them in a bankruptcy. Thanks Obama.

Ok but then you're against student loan forgiveness, which could absolutely bankrupt both these for profit colleges and these predatory loan companies that freely manipulate teenagers into a lifelong debt they can't hope to even begin to pay back through reasonings like price jacked interest, piss poor educational/career management on behalf of the recruiter or even outright misinformation and misleading.

You're a special individual, aren't you?

Oh, who am I kidding. I've seen enough of your vitriol to know you're a conservative Republican on a mission to destroy the livelihoods of anyone who isn't a rich white male.

Funny, because Sponge-Brain Shits-Pants shut down drilling leases on public lands on his first day in office.

OTOH, there are no serious gas bills in Congress right now. If there were, they would have included it in the Increase Inflation Act.

Hey guess what? Trump was in office for four years and didn't sign off on Keystone either.

Reactions: Xzi

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No shit Sherlock. Solar panels and wind turbines generate an excess of power back to the grid, which would ultimately be a good thing if we had the storage capacity to handle it, but we do not. Power lines are not capable of transferring energy from the Midwest all the way to the Northeast without severe degradation.
I'm glad that we all understand the basics.

Oh, I take it that none of you realize that all plastics, including those installed in EV's, are derived from fossil fuels? So that means we will have to continue drilling until we develop an alternative to plastic.

Not sure if any of you know that when windmills are done killing large birds of prey like the endangered golden eagle, they are disassembled and buried in landfills since fiberglass is unrecyclable.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok but then you're against student loan forgiveness, which could absolutely bankrupt both these for profit colleges and these predatory loan companies that freely manipulate teenagers into a lifelong debt they can't hope to even begin to pay back through reasonings like price jacked interest, piss poor educational/career management on behalf of the recruiter or even outright misinformation and misleading.
If you take out a loan for a degree that does not ensure you make enough money to pay it back, then you received a shitty degree. Blame the colleges for even offering it.
You're a special individual, aren't you?

Oh, who am I kidding. I've seen enough of your vitriol to know you're a conservative Republican on a mission to destroy the livelihoods of anyone who isn't a rich white male.
You want poor minorities with no college degree to pay for the degrees of rich privileged white leftists with a master's in gender studies. Before you call me a racist, make sure you understand your position on this topic, because it is obvious that you don't.
Hey guess what? Trump was in office for four years and didn't sign off on Keystone either.
Keystone was being built until Brandon shut it down, along with oil/gas leases on federal lands.

bUt DrUmPf!!!!! :rofl2:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I take it that none of you realize that all plastics, including those installed in EV's, are derived from fossil fuels? So that means we will have to continue drilling until we develop an alternative to plastic.
A. Not exclusively a downside of EVs, it's a downside of all car manufacturing, so would you prefer more public transport? Because we'd be in agreement there.
B. We can start using more recycled plastics at any time, and some manufacturers already do.

Not sure if any of you know that when windmills are done killing large birds of prey like the endangered golden eagle, they are disassembled and buried in landfills since fiberglass is unrecyclable.
Braindead nonsense you picked up from Trump. There are parts of the country where we should avoid putting up wind turbines because they fall within migratory paths of certain species, but there's still plenty of other land to build on besides.

Do you actually care about reducing the cost and environmental footprint of energy generation or not? Because you seem dead set on defending the current unsustainable way of doing things.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trader will only ever hold a position that negatively affects corporations if they tell him to first.
Dude would make a great corporate punching bag.

But back on topic, kinda expecting a housing crash, Should be dirt cheap in a few years for me to get a house and start planing my new mini theater to watch all of the sonic movies. NTM new gas prices are now down to 3.50 in my area. Waiting a bit untill it gose down to 2.xx before i get a car

Reactions: LainaGabranth

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A. Not exclusively a downside of EVs, it's a downside of all car manufacturing, so would you prefer more public transport? Because we'd be in agreement there.
B. We can start using more recycled plastics at any time, and some manufacturers already do.
Not all plastics can be recycled currently. So you are relying on yet another technology that we don't have to make a switch to green energy. This smells of you just want poor people to suffer so you can feel good about yourself.
Braindead nonsense you picked up from Trump. There are parts of the country where we should avoid putting up wind turbines because they fall within migratory paths of certain species, but there's still plenty of other land to build on besides.
Yet, that doesn't happen.
Do you actually care about reducing the cost and environmental footprint of energy generation or not? Because you seem dead set on defending the current unsustainable way of doing things.
Let's see how Europe fares this winter without natural gas. If chopping wood is your thing, then by all means, have at it. I live in a place that never gets cold, so I don't have to worry about it.

I know the green energy industrial complex is not serious because nuclear is never mentioned as an alternative. What you will create is mass death.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not all plastics can be recycled currently.
You are in favor of slowly phasing out car-centric infrastructure to be replaced by public transport then. Good to know.

Yet, that doesn't happen.
So you think turbine manufacturers just really fucking hate birds for some reason? And always build in migratory paths on purpose? Looney conspiracy territory for sure.

Let's see how Europe fares this winter without natural gas.
Sounds like you're cheering for human suffering and implying we should be giving a war crime committing psychopath exactly what he wants, not a good look.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But back on topic, kinda expecting a housing crash, Should be dirt cheap in a few years for me to get a house and start planing my new mini theater to watch all of the sonic movies. NTM new gas prices are now down to 3.50 in my area. Waiting a bit untill it gose down to 2.xx before i get a car
Here's hoping. The recent overvaluing of property in my area is starting to redpill me on decomodification of housing and if they keep raising my payments they're gonna make Ted Kaczynski look reasonable.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP

I've got bad news for you, expect gas prices to spike back up to over $5/gal in the second half of November. Price always go down in an election year and spike up after. Gas being as expensive as it is right before an election is concerning.

IMO housing prices will likely go down in areas that didn't get hit hard in the 2008 crash (CA, NY). But other areas will see a small blip, and maybe be down 10-15%. But when prices are going up that much per year does it matter? The stock market has been massively over inflated due to all the free money from the Fed. Now the rich are fleeing and moving to buying properly to rent out. There's a reason Black Rock and the like are buying up houses everywhere.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got bad news for you, expect gas prices to spike back up to over $5/gal in the second half of November. Price always go down in an election year and spike up after. Gas being as expensive as it is right before an election is concerning.

IMO housing prices will likely go down in areas that didn't get hit hard in the 2008 crash (CA, NY). But other areas will see a small blip, and maybe be down 10-15%. But when prices are going up that much per year does it matter? The stock market has been massively over inflated due to all the free money from the Fed. Now the rich are fleeing and moving to buying properly to rent out. There's a reason Black Rock and the like are buying up houses everywhere.
Evidence?

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are in favor of slowly phasing out car-centric infrastructure to be replaced by public transport then. Good to know.
Where did I even mention public transportation? Besides, it doesn't work everywhere either.
So you think turbine manufacturers just really fucking hate birds for some reason? And always build in migratory paths on purpose? Looney conspiracy territory for sure.
Are you arguing that 10's of thousands of birds are not being killed my windmills every year?
Sounds like you're cheering for human suffering and implying we should be giving a war crime committing psychopath exactly what he wants, not a good look.
Nobody forced Europe to buy all of their energy from Russia. In fact, Trump warned them that it was a bad idea. Those chose, unwisely and now poor Europeans are suffering.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do understand that gas prices are down because the Strategic Oil Reserves are being drained right now. It is the lowest it's ever been since 1984. When that runs out, prices will, what did Obama say back in the day, oh yeah, necessarily skyrocket.
Thanks for the evidence good sir, ill be on my way.

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In my region gas doesn't come (but yet again, having a somewhat tropical weather, It's not needed that much, since winters are pretty warm themselves), but fuel prices did go high as well. Luckily though, I use an electric scooter to move around the city though, although I wish I could use my car more.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Where did I even mention public transportation? Besides, it doesn't work everywhere either.
I mentioned it, when you pointed out that all car manufacturing requires the use of a lot of plastics. Avoiding the transition to EVs doesn't reduce our use of them, so clearly you prefer another alternative.

Are you arguing that 10's of thousands of birds are not being killed my windmills every year?
Sure, I'll argue against that since it sounds like a number pulled straight from your ass. Next you're gonna tell me that solar panels instantly barbeque any/all birds that pass over them.

Nobody forced Europe to buy all of their energy from Russia.
And they don't. Which is why European leaders have been saying for months now that it'll be a bit of a spike for a winter or two, but not nearly as bad as the reactionaries are claiming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated