Satmonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
  • :)To our dear coders of SNES9x gx/rx/tx:
    Snes9xGX do not offer a progressive PAL videomode (576p), i encounter strange problems with some games @ 50Hz PAL mode (576i)
    In example: Targa (PAL prototype /aka Rendering Ranger)
    There are interlace leftoffs/distortions and the 576i mode is more unsharp than 480p.
    Other emulators, like Genesis Plus GX offer 576p videomodes.
    A 576p mode would be a great addition to SNES9xGX :wub:

• 576i demo Video:

• 480p demo Video:

Reactions: Desconocido90

Satmonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Have you tried just using an NTSC TV with an NTSC Wii?
The TV is multinorm capable. The Wii is connected over component YUV. NTSC mode with 60Hz NTSC games working fine. PAL 50Hz interlaced is the problem. If the Emulator would offer a progressive 576 line videomode, then the problem would stay away.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
But why do you need to put your system at 50Hz to play PAL SNES games? The Wii at 480p can play them just fine and at the 50 fps speed.

What is there to gain from 576p?

Reactions: niuus

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Maeson: Simply the right resolution. Whether for the default rendering or the original rendering (240p)

@Satmonk: It's added in my latest version of TX (coming out tomorrow if all goes well). I'll send it to you by PM (don't share it, it's a secret for everybody :P)

Having no component cable, test and tell me here if everything works well

Satmonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
But why do you need to put your system at 50Hz to play PAL SNES games? The Wii at 480p can play them just fine and at the 50 fps speed.

What is there to gain from 576p?

Because there are PAL optimized games like Donkey Kong Country. If such games are ran at 480p (60Hz), the game runs too fast and sound is distorted, but hear by yourself:

@Maeson: Simply the right resolution. Whether for the default rendering or the original rendering (240p)

@Satmonk: It's added in my latest version of TX (coming out tomorrow if all goes well). I'll send it to you by PM (don't share it, it's a secret for everybody :P)

Having no component cable, test and tell me here if everything works well

Veeeeeery greeaaat! You are the best! It is now WORKING fine!
Thank you for your effort, thank you!!!

Here the difference between 576i50 -> 576p25

Attachments

• IMG_20230115_192552.jpg
    IMG_20230115_192552.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230115_192354.jpg
    IMG_20230115_192354.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 9dm9jhy5.gif
    9dm9jhy5.gif
    360.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by Satmonk,
Reactions: Tanooki16

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
...But doesn't the emulator take care of playing it at the necessary speed instead of having to change the machine you're playing on, that is using the emulator?

Like, If I emulate PAL DKC on Snes9XRX, it plays at 50FPS/Hz even when I have my Wii at 480p/60Hz (or rather, 240p/60Hz). I just tried myself, the music played fine on both regions. It is not like playing on a real SNES where the physical differences make it impossible for systems/games from different regions to perform as they're supposed to because of changes on the hardware.

This is emulation. The "speed" of the games is dictated by it. They will check the region of the game and play under the necessary clock speed. Some emulators can let you force a specific region on games, even.

Maybe I'm missing something but I cannot understand this. I mean I'm happy that TX and other homebrew support 576p, it's cool and I did not know a few years ago that the Wii was capable of it, but I've never experienced this particular issue unless whatever emulator is forcing NTSC on everything by default.

Reactions: niuus

Satmonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It is like I said, as soon as I switch to 480p, I get 60Hz. I don't know why the same emulator behave different on your Wii. But for me, I think it's logical, because 480p is a NTSC mode, therefore 60Hz is the right videomode.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think there ever was a 576 progressive scan mode, only interlaced (atleast not for games/ consoles).. I'm i missing something?

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
Ditto for the GameCube this one is supported, but curiously Nintendo has removed this feature on PAL consoles (can be activated with Swiss).
The GameCube SDK didn't support it. Not even hidden support. It was added to the Wii for the sake of the DVD-Video player.

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't taken my GameCube out for a long time, I just know that it was originally supposed to be on PAL consoles, there was even the connector on the first PAL consoles.

I haven't tested it, but I know that Swiss offers it. You mean that even with Swiss it doesn't work?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, so it was for movies? That actually makes a lot of sense, it would have been a nice upgrade from the ps2, as that could look really bad with PAL dvds between the resolution and the interlaced video mode. But we know how that ended...

Thank you for pointing that out, Extrems.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I've merged the PAL 576p addition and Frameskip reimplementation to Snes9x GX and i've made a PR, hope Tantric approves that.

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/pull/1045
You should have read the code from TX in the first place, as Tanooki16 did the implementation a little bit differently. You just copy-pasted what I did in my commit for RX, and I changed some minor things specifically for it. I was going to make a Pull request with the full Tanooki code but you just did it the RX way. Lol.

BTW, you mention a lot that frameskipping is crucial for heavy games now that the option is on the menu, but I think you never knew or noticed that Snes9x was always frameskipping. The last thing you want is to turn it off now.

Valken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BTW, you mention a lot that frameskipping is crucial for heavy games now that the option is on the menu, but I think you never knew or noticed that Snes9x was always frameskipping. The last thing you want is to turn it off now.
Does it happen only in 576p video mode or even in 240p? I use Snes9x RX at 240p resolution with a SD crt TV set and I have noticed (a bit of) frame skipping only in SFX games. Am I right or are just my eyes that are getting old?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*