Homebrew Snes9x RX - A new fork.

Which one is the typography you think should be the main one from now on? (Images on page 22)

• Earthworm Jim 2

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Kirby Super Star

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Super Bomberman 2

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Earthworm Jim

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do we know how much input lag this emu has compared to real hardware or to snes9x running on a powerful machine? I tested it out and it does feel like it has less than the regular SNES9xGX but I don't have real hardware to compare it to.

Reactions: Dakangel

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running into a strange bug. I’m using the latest fork. I was using turbo mode and the game crashed (I was playing the MSU-1 Super Mario RPG) and when reloading the game was incredibly laggy and was unplayable. I copied the SRAM and snapshot to a new ROM of the original Super Mario RPG and it was working fine. Was using turbo mode again and it crashed, and now the same thing is happening again. Any time music plays the emulator stutters and falls very far behind gameplay. Tried this SD card on a Wii and Wii U, both having the issue. Other games are unaffected.

Any idea of what is causing it? Guessing the SRAM might be corrupt but not sure why it worked when I copied it previously. Seems like if I modify the name of the ROM and save files that it might work again though.

Fixed my own issue, using the emulator Reset function worked for both the MSU-1 and regular versions. Good to know

Last edited by trogdon,

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do we know how much input lag this emu has compared to real hardware or to snes9x running on a powerful machine? I tested it out and it does feel like it has less than the regular SNES9xGX but I don't have real hardware to compare it to.

In the OP it lists the input lag as being a frame or less

ConnorTheNugget

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone would like to use it, I managed to make a Wii U forwarder to the Snes Mini EU version (although it should work for whatever version you have) using trudes method.

Overclock patch works when installed to NAND.

Many thanks to @niuus for this mod and themes and also @Trudes for his work on the vWii forwarders :yayu:

Hi, do you have the original theme for wii, not vwii. The snes mini eu/USA theme for Snes9x GX

I've tried looking online but I've had no luck

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Yono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the OP it lists the input lag as being a frame or less
It says "1 frame less input lag" which I assume was supposed to mean 1 frame less than Snes9x GX Wii. Less input lag than actual hardware (2 frames) wouldn't be possible with emulation since emulation will always add some degree of input lag.

However I took the liberty of testing it myself using my CRT's scanlines as guidance with a super slow mo camera, wired gamecube controller, and actually found the opposite of the OP's claim to be true - with GX having less lag on average.

Testing Link to the Past, on GX link's sword animation starts 4-5 scanlines after I press the button, on RX it's 5-6.
Testing Super castlevania, on GX Simon's whip animation starts again 4-5 scanlines after I press the button, on RX it's around 5-6 scanlines.

My TV is 60HZ so 1 scanline = 1 frame (confirmed by measuring the scanlines it takes for Simon's whip hitbox to come out, 12 = 12 frames).

On an original SNES there are 2 frames of input lag, so this means GX is adding 2-3 frames of lag on average, whereas RX is adding 3-4.

I just was wanting to know how the input lag was tested for this to get the "1 less frame" number, or if maybe the information is potentially outdated with the current version of 9xGX.

EDIT: hoping this post doesn't come off as pedantic, I appreciate all of the work emulator devs do, and 1 frame of input lag is not a big deal. I just like tinkering with this kind of stuff so I'm input lag testing Wii emulators just for the sake of it.

Last edited by Yono,

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It says "1 frame less input lag" which I assume was supposed to mean 1 frame less than Snes9x GX Wii. Less input lag than actual hardware (2 frames) wouldn't be possible with emulation since emulation will always add some degree of input lag.

However I took the liberty of testing it myself using my CRT's scanlines as guidance with a super slow mo camera, wired gamecube controller, and actually found the opposite of the OP's claim to be true - with GX having less lag on average.

Testing Link to the Past, on GX link's sword animation starts 4-5 scanlines after I press the button, on RX it's 5-6.
Testing Super castlevania, on GX Simon's whip animation starts again 4-5 scanlines after I press the button, on RX it's around 5-6 scanlines.

My TV is 60HZ so 1 scanline = 1 frame (confirmed by measuring the scanlines it takes for Simon's whip hitbox to come out, 12 = 12 frames).

On an original SNES there are 2 frames of input lag, so this means GX is adding 2-3 frames of lag on average, whereas RX is adding 3-4.

I just was wanting to know how the input lag was tested for this to get the "1 less frame" number, or if maybe the information is potentially outdated with the current version of 9xGX.

EDIT: hoping this post doesn't come off as pedantic, I appreciate all of the work emulator devs do, and 1 frame of input lag is not a big deal. I just like tinkering with this kind of stuff so I'm input lag testing Wii emulators just for the sake of it.
I've always been happy with the Wii emulators lag response, fighters and platformers alike.

That bullet point comes from a specific commit I implemented to the GX emulator back then (2019), which Snes9x RX was the first using it. It's been 5 whole years of changes, well, 6 if we count the year in which I started the RX family (GX emulators were fully dormant in its official incarnations).

BTW, if you're really serious about non-subjective lag tests, you would need a Time Sleuth:

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/time-sleuth-display-lag-tester

Would be cool to know that kind of info someday, a la DF Retro.

Binski48

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there!

I recently got into playing Kaizo Mario World hacks alot on my Wii using Snes9xgx, but since the gameplay is very precise, the idea of using an emulator that knocks off a frame of input lag is very appealing.

One question..for all my SNES games, I have created single rom loaders following SaulFabreg's SRL tutorials. They basically rely on a custom meta.xml file that will autoboot any rom you like. This way I can launch all my classic games from usbloadergx the same as all my wii games (complete with box art and everything, very time consuming process)

My question is, if I directly replace all my snes9xgx files with snes9xrx, will everything still work? If not, would it be relatively easy to find a fix, or is there alot going on behind the scenes?

Thanks for all your work! This is an awesome project :)

Cheers,

Binski

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi there!

I recently got into playing Kaizo Mario World hacks alot on my Wii using Snes9xgx, but since the gameplay is very precise, the idea of using an emulator that knocks off a frame of input lag is very appealing.

One question..for all my SNES games, I have created single rom loaders following SaulFabreg's SRL tutorials. They basically rely on a custom meta.xml file that will autoboot any rom you like. This way I can launch all my classic games from usbloadergx the same as all my wii games (complete with box art and everything, very time consuming process)

My question is, if I directly replace all my snes9xgx files with snes9xrx, will everything still work? If not, would it be relatively easy to find a fix, or is there alot going on behind the scenes?

Thanks for all your work! This is an awesome project :)

Cheers,

Binski
Yep, you just replace the DOL and that's about it.

A newer version should be out soon-ish, I have some changes in the oven, tested for weeks and ready. Satellaview is getting an expanded mode, and some other stuff is there too.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
BTW, for those interested, I backported BS-X/Satellaview BIOS functionality to RX, so you can choose to use the BIOS or not (which was default RX behavior up until now), since that changes compatibility between a good deal of games, some need it, and some games can't use the BIOS file to work.
As talked about before, this is finally ready for release in 5.3.0! Compiling and uploading is in process.

Also, just saw another option from an idea that I posted some months ago and @Tanooki16 just picked up for Snes9x-Mushroom: you are now able to disable Satellaview BIOS use, surely something that will allow you to know which games benefit or not when I release the BS-X compatibility list that I created for RX 5.3.0.

So most QoL features are already in place:
* Saving "Show Framerate" and "Show Local Time" options for next boot.

* Saving "Super FX Overclock" option. Right now, even though the value is maintained in the config file, it is not applied in-game at next boot, you need to manually select your OC number again for it to work.

* Pressing B in the Main Menu should be able to allow you to cycle between Game List, Settings-Exit button, and the Credits button in the upper corner.

* RX: "Display Virtual Memory" not hiding the value.

* Y-X-B-A mapped to the Right Analog Stick, like when you use the Xbox 360 Controller.

* Turbo Mode/Fast-Forward can be turned off/remapped

* Use Mouse in alternate port.
* Use Multitaps (8-player).
* M.A.C.S. rifle compatibility.

* Reverse Stereo.

* Use Satellaview BIOS if present ON/OFF. (you wouldn't have to rename or delete the file manually)

* Toggle to hide/show the Save SRAM button

Bugs:
* GX / Mushroom / RX: If you press Start/Plus to flip through Cover / Artwork / Screenshot, it will end up opening the game. Press it rapidly/continuously to reproduce the bug. Also triggers with Select/Minus, never found out why. Happens on the Wii U Pro Controller, I think it also triggers on the Wii U Gamepad, haven't played there for a long while.

* Mushroom: activating Satellaview on or off makes the cursor disappear. You have to press right or down to be able to use it again.

Best times for SNES emulation on the Wii and Wii U.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
New release is up! (5.3.0)

[5.3.0 - September 28, 2022]

• Upgraded Satellaview (BS-X) engine to latest Snes9x to date.
    This furthers up the game compatibility, by making use of the Satellaview
    BIOS. Though the file is optional, you'll want to use it for titles that
    make exclusive use of its functions. Some of the titles now playable are:
    - BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Saga
    (Episodes 1 to 4)
    - Chou Aniki - Bakuretsu Rantou Hen
    - Konae-chan no Dokidoki Penguin Kazoku Event-ban
And a lot of the digital magazines available that were distributed through
the Satellite's service can be read in its original language now,
as the BIOS embedded font is mostly used for these.

Check the instructions on where to place the BIOS file by reading the new
Satellaview section, in the readme.
  • MSU-1 refinements.
  • Fix for compiling error.
  • Updates for the Spanish language.
  • Other tweaks.
Notes:
  • The Wii U Channel is now a forwarder, which means you install it, and then use whatever special build suits your preference, by unzipping it to your SD card.
  • Special Logitech F510 Controller for Xbox 360 (use XInput mode) separate build.
  • Special Mad Catz SE FightStick for Xbox 360 separate build.

Last edited by niuus,

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The timing is perfect! If you want the BS-X BIOS disabled is now compatible.

To be tested as usual because I don't have the tools to compile RX, but everything should work fine.

PS: as there is no more room for a button in the menu, I put it in the video settings.

Attachments

• Snes9xRX-Disabled-BS-X-BIOS-Startup.zip
    34.6 KB · Views: 26

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The MD5 and SHA-1 values of the BIOS, whether patched (using BIOS of the correct value according to the project's instructions) or downloaded directly, are different from the ones your README is suggesting.
Placeholder fixed!

The timing is perfect! If you want the BS-X BIOS disabled is now compatible.

To be tested as usual because I don't have the tools to compile RX, but everything should work fine.

PS: as there is no more room for a button in the menu, I put it in the video settings.
Video settings? Shouldn't that be Settings > Menu?

Last edited by niuus,

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I confused it with FCE (which has the GameGenie setting), with Snes9x it's ok ^^

So it's done (there is even the icon, which you can easily change if it doesn't fit). Test it and tell me

Attachments

• Snes9xRX-Disabled-BS-X-BIOS-Startup-v2.zip
    40.4 KB · Views: 32

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto