Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
That's insanely cool,i wish i could help :(, and how is Kirby Super Star with this experimental hack?

Not really good. Kirby SS is a busy game. I was trying Spring Breeze. It went at about 55 fps (with about 10-20 frame skips). It does drop to about 40-48fps if things get really busy, and if your helper appears. Games that use more of SA-1 will perform poorer for obvious reasons.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that's why I find it surprising that we have better options in the slower DS. :unsure:

Yeah, it's bizarre and a testament to the work people put into the old DS emulators. It has a highly functional, full-speed NeoGeo (many of the games at least) and Genesis/MD one too, without need of a special flashcart CPU.

Last edited by ArtemisM,

vander263

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Neogeo one it's not full-speed, i would be if NeoDS ran on TWL mode without graphical problems on TWLoader, but on NTR mode it run at 40 - 50 fps on Garou:Mark Of Wolves and Metal Slug X, so not to enjoyable, but NitroGrafx some other's run really good at full speed.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
And that's why I find it surprising that we have better options in the slower DS. :unsure:

Well, the DS had some things the 3DS does not have access to with regard to NES emulation. One being 2D hardware. That relieved so much processing on the DS, allowing the CPU to do actual CPU stuff. It's why even the GBA could do NES emulation well (minus the squished screen).

Reactions: bubble2k16

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So does that mean the DS had a similar advantage for doing NeoGeo games, due to 2D hardware?
The 3DS could really use a native NeoGeo emulator worth using, especially considering the resolution. Most Neo Geo games were 320x224.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, the DS had some things the 3DS does not have access to with regard to NES emulation. One being 2D hardware. That relieved so much processing on the DS, allowing the CPU to do actual CPU stuff. It's why even the GBA could do NES emulation well (minus the squished screen).

And SNES emulation to some extent. I, of all people, should know this. :shy:

That does mean that while the GBA and NDS firmwares execute the ARM codes natively, it actually has to emulate the GBA/DS 2D with software in that case, I suppose.

By the way, did you experience crackling and pops in audio in BlargSNES? Seems like some games send KON / KOFF to the DSP frequently to stop and start sound samples that causes the sudden change in waveforms giving all these pops. It seems even more apparent when using Gaussian Interpolation since it smooths out the waveform that any sudden change makes these pops really obvious and annoying.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not sure if I will be able to find out the underlying problem with the shaking ground. Sounds difficult. :( As for out of this world, what are the sound problems? Haven't really played this before on a working emulator.

For Out of this World, all digitized sounds are missing it seems.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I Wish it was possible to divide the payload between ARM9 and ARM11 processor

Don't really know how we can execute code in ARM9 as of now. But at least ARM11 has two cores, which we use to divide workload for this emulator, just like BlargSNES did. The first core handles the sound output, the second core handles everything else.

vander263

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tested Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Picodrive on my O3DS, i'm very dissapointed with the level of MD emulation on the system, the game running below 50 fps, how can a SNES emulator like this one that runs SA-1 games always above 53 fps with pretty good sound quality, and a basic MD emulator runs a game that didn't even have a special chip on it's cart run horrible and with TERRIBLE sound, @bubble2k16, when you get bored of the SNES emulator, please do a good Mega Drive one, you are the only hope we have :D

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I tested Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Picodrive on my O3DS, i'm very dissapointed with the level of MD emulation on the system, the game running below 50 fps, how can a SNES emulator like this one that runs SA-1 games always above 53 fps with pretty good sound quality, and a basic MD emulator runs a game that didn't even have a special chip on it's cart run horrible and with TERRIBLE sound, @bubble2k16, when you get bored of the SNES emulator, please do a good Mega Drive one, you are the only hope we have :D
Picodrive is likely doing software rendering, where it plots each pixel. SNES9x for 3DS utilizes the 3D hardware for rendering.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Indeed, RetroArch cores for 3DS aren't good enough and doesn't give a good emulation quality lile this one. So if you decide @bubble2k16, you can start from NES, Megadrive or even a hypervisor for GBA on 3DS.

Enviado desde mi SM-J111M mediante Tapatalk

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country

Do you have video filters enabled? Go to settings, and then video to check. In some Retroarch builds I've noticed LQ2X was enabled by default, which is quite performance demanding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg