Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

frobinson54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I haven't really decided what to do. I'll see. :)

Virtualboy has too little games. And besides, as @ScarletDreamz and @BL4Z3D247 mentioned, there's already one.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and bug reports! :grog:

This emulator is outstanding!! Best emulator on the 3DS by far! Is there any way that you would consider porting a NES emulator to the 3DS? Virtual Console is fine, but I love the extra options in your Snes9x port, and I love the way that you support cheats!! To me, it is really fun to mess around with cheats on classic NES games, and while the Retroarch NES emulators support cheats, they are super buggy and barely work at all.

Thank you for considering my request! :-)

vander263

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Whoa really? that's pretty awesome knowing that every arcade game ported to this system is a arcade-perfect version, it would be magnific :D

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To all who likes the emulator, my pleasure. :) It's been fun working on it since SNES is one of my favorite consoles.

Bug in title screen Super H.Q Criminal Chaser!!! Snes9x 1.0
@bubble2k16

This image is the correct title screen

Thanks for pointing out. I'll look into it. Did it work correctly in v0.80?

Also as someone else pointed before, the cropped options also seem to cut pixels on the sides in recent release, which wasn't the case in earlier ones. I don't think that's working as intended.

The cropped options cut the left/right/up/down edges by 8 pixels each.

Gotcha. I think I see what happens now... 4:3 is 1:1 but stretches the width only so it keeps the vertical aspect of 1:1. Expand to fit 'Pixel Perfect fit' stretches the width and height. So by stretching it to fit the height of the screen you lose the vertical aspect of 1:1 that remains in the 4:3(stretches width only) option. Nevermind @bubble2k16, I think I answered my own question.

No stretch is considered 1:1. 4:3 takes the 1:1 output and stretches the width to give a 4:3 ratio. Yea, it's a little confusing I admit... :) Anyway, just pick the one you like the most. :)

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The cropped options cut the left/right/up/down edges by 8 pixels each.
Why would it crop horizontal pixels as well though? It makes it completely unusuable and a waste of option. Whereas cropping top/bottom or only bottom/only top would be preferable since games such as Chrono Trigger, which have giant black bar on the bottom, would benefit from such a cropping option. But cropping also pixels on left and right makes no sense, cuts off text in games, looks ugly as hell and basically serves no purpose.

Also, still gonna lobby for a NES emulator. RetroArch's Nestopia and FCeumm cores run at silky smooth ~20-30 FPS on O3DS, while QuickNES is horribly hacky and doesn't emulate stuff properly. It can't even do colors in Castlevania games properly, while games like DBZ Gokuden series won't even load. The famous NES de-make of FF7 doesn't work on it either.
Naturally they don't work on official VC either (get "ROM not supported" error).
I assume it's because they all use some special chips or mappers.
So if you ever reconsider your stance, proper NES emulator would be most welcome.

Last edited by Canzah,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No stretch is considered 1:1. 4:3 takes the 1:1 output and stretches the width to give a 4:3 ratio. Yea, it's a little confusing I admit... :) Anyway, just pick the one you like the most. :)
Thanks for the response. Yeah, it was confusing at first. I had to try them all out to see what each option actual did to achieve the outcome. The part that confused me is I thought you found a way to fit pixel perfect to the screen while keeping the 1:1 aspect ratio. But I see it's essentially just a zoomed in 1:1. I'm using 4:3 now as 1:1 is too small of a screen on a 2DS and everything else was too blurry for my liking. Thanks for putting options that can satisfy everyone's preference, that and the compatibility are what makes this emulator so freaking great.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Why would it crop horizontal pixels as well though? It makes it completely unusuable and a waste of option. Whereas cropping top/bottom or only bottom/only top would be preferable since games such as Chrono Trigger, which have giant black bar on the bottom, would benefit from such a cropping option. But cropping also pixels on left and right makes no sense, cuts off text in games, looks ugly as hell and basically serves no purpose.

Also, still gonna lobby for a NES emulator. RetroArch's Nestopia and FCeumm cores run at silky smooth ~20-30 FPS on O3DS, while QuickNES is horribly hacky and doesn't emulate stuff properly. It can't even do colors in Castlevania games properly, while games like DBZ Gokuden series won't even load. The famous NES de-make of FF7 doesn't work on it either.
So if you ever reconsider your stance, proper NES emulator would be most welcome.

A small handful of games may look better (?), since they assumed that the TV was never able to display the leftmost and rightmost 8 pixels. From, example, Energy Breaker did something crazy by clipping the left and right 8-pixels of all its backgrounds, but yet the backdrop color shows through, making it look like this (without the cropping).

energy-breaker-j-b001-bmp.78009

A number of other games leave behind 'buggy' artifacts on the sides of the screens because they assumed that most TVs will cut them off anyway. And old TVs also cut out the top and bottom pixels too. Personally, I never liked cropped pixels anyway. But I figured if I added such an option, I would crop it both ways for games such as Energy Breaker. And instead of 3 other options to crop horizontally only / crop vertically only / crop both horizontally and vertically, and multiply that by 2 for fit and fullscreen, I went for crop (both horizontally and vertically) for fit, and another one for fullscreen.

Yes, an NES emulator will be easier and more manageable. Of Nestopia, and FCE, which is the better performer in terms of speed?

Attachments

• Energy Breaker (J).b001.bmp
    187.6 KB · Views: 917
Last edited by bubble2k16,

vander263

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@bubble2k16, would take a look on Far East of Eden Zero? the compression chip appears to not be emulated, when i try to boot the game it takes me to the compression chip check screen and forces the 3DS to reboot :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, an NES emulator will be easier and more manageable. Of Nestopia, and FCE, which is the better performer in terms of speed?
I believe FCEUX is the fastest of the two.

Seeing is believing...

I know it's from 2013 but Nestopia hasn't been updated since 2008, so yeah. :P

Edit: Oh I see, you meant the 3DS variants. :blush:

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Of Nestopia, and FCE, which is the better performer in terms of speed?

FCE, definitely. Nestopia is all about cycle accuracy, so it's much more demanding in terms of performance. However, FCE is still slow on O3DS, the only usable Retroarch NES emu on O3DS is Quicknes. (Which is not very accurate at all, as others have mentioned)

Last edited by coinblock,

Lerhein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx for this awesome emulator!
anyway i have the last version (1.00) and i cant notice any change on the top screen with the 3D slider all the way up :s
i try with 8 diferent games and nothing .. what im doing wrong?

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx for this awesome emulator!
anyway i have the last version (1.00) and i cant notice any change on the top screen with the 3D slider all the way up :s
i try with 8 diferent games and nothing .. what im doing wrong?

It won't be any different. It's just "on" when you enable the slider.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
FCE, definitely. Nestopia is all about cycle accuracy, so it's much more demanding in terms of performance. However, FCE is still slow on O3DS, the only usable Retroarch NES emu on O3DS is Quicknes.

It's kind of hard to believe there's no decent NES emulator on the old 3DS.
FCE, definitely. Nestopia is all about cycle accuracy, so it's much more demanding in terms of performance. However, FCE is still slow on O3DS, the only usable Retroarch NES emu on O3DS is Quicknes. (Which is not very accurate at all, as others have mentioned)

What's the FPS like for FCE?

Reactions: wielku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol