Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

vander263

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you have video filters enabled? Go to settings, and then video to check. In some Retroarch builds I've noticed LQ2X was enabled by default, which is quite performance demanding.
Nop, there isn't any video filter enabled, and appears that every new realease the emulator was WORSE, the new gui is terrible.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Latest "nightly" is up.

Some important stuff:
1. Speed hacks implemented for most, if not all, SA-1 games. The idea is that the speed hacks put the SA-1 emulation to sleep, and wakes it only when required.

Some of the games that benefit:
---- Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius plays full speed at 60fps unless things get busy.
---- Super Mario RPG, runs yet a little faster, but still not full speed at some areas.
---- Marvelous is quite playable, except some areas where it slows down.
---- Dragon Ball Hyper Dimension is playable.
---- Other SA-1 games that enjoyed the speed hack treatment are: Bass Fishing, Daisenryaku Expert WW2, SD Gundam Next, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby Superstar, Super Robot Taisen, Panic Bomber World, Power Rangers Zeo, Masters New Augusta 3, J96 Dream Stadium, Shining Scorpion, Pebble Beach New, PGA European Tour, PGA Tour 6, SD F1 Grand Prix.

Generally, there's improvement in the performance on Old 3DS so that the games are more playable with slowdowns here and there (the Old 3DS is really underpowered, but hey, we already know that right?). Whether the speed hacks impacts any game's timing so that it may cause it to freeze, that's still not quite known yet. The option to enable/disable the speed hack so you can disable it on the New 3DS is not implemented yet.

Note: SD F1 Grand Prix has some display / timing (?) bugs that also exists in Snes9x v1.43.

2. SuperFX "too fast". I've borrowed some code from Snes9x v1.51 to get it to run at the "slightly more accurate" speed. I'm not sure how it really performs. Fellow forummers may want to test Starfox to see if it runs better.

3. SPC7110 decompression fixed. Again borrowed some code from Snes9x v1.52 and hacked together the SPC7110 decompression. So now this version of Snes9x based on v1.43 doesn't require graphics packs!!! Best part: Tengai Makyou Zero (Far East of Eden Zero) boots! Thanks to @vander263 for pointing out. But there are some potential problems with save states not working well with this game.

4. Super Chase HQ's introduction is fixed. Thanks to @angelhp for pointing it out.

5. Critical bugs related timing issues when using cheats are fixed.

.3DSX version: Download
.CIA version: Download

As always, feedback is welcome. :)

Last edited by bubble2k16,

vander263

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@bubble2k16, Tengai Makyou Zero doesn't go past SPC7110 check mode, now it completes the check and it's all ok, but it's stopped there, and the emulator is running normaly.
EDIT:Forget it, it have a dual check, so i have to reset it two times to get on the actual screen, thankyou :D

Last edited by vander263,

MannCo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great, Kirby Super Star and Dream Land 3 works really well on the latest nightly!

Amazing job. Thanks! :yay3ds:

Last edited by MannCo,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Latest "nightly" is up.

Some important stuff:
1. Speed hacks implemented for most, if not all, SA-1 games. The idea is that the speed hacks put the SA-1 emulation to sleep, and wakes it only when required.

Some of the games that benefit:
---- Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius plays full speed at 60fps unless things get busy.
---- Super Mario RPG, runs yet a little faster, but still not full speed at some areas.
---- Marvelous is quite playable, except some areas where it slows down.
---- Dragon Ball Hyper Dimension is playable.
---- Other SA-1 games that enjoyed the speed hack treatment are: Bass Fishing, Daisenryaku Expert WW2, SD Gundam Next, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby Superstar, Super Robot Taisen, Panic Bomber World, Power Rangers Zeo, Masters New Augusta 3, J96 Dream Stadium, Shining Scorpion, Pebble Beach New, PGA European Tour, PGA Tour 6, SD F1 Grand Prix.

Generally, there's improvement in the performance on Old 3DS so that the games are more playable with slowdowns here and there (the Old 3DS is really underpowered, but hey, we already know that right?). Whether the speed hacks impacts any game's timing so that it may cause it to freeze, that's still not quite known yet. The option to enable/disable the speed hack so you can disable it on the New 3DS is not implemented yet.

Note: SD F1 Grand Prix has some display / timing (?) bugs that also exists in Snes9x v1.43.

2. SuperFX "too fast". I've borrowed some code from Snes9x v1.51 to get it to run at the "slightly more accurate" speed. I'm not sure how it really performs. Fellow forummers may want to test Starfox to see if it runs better.

3. SPC7110 decompression fixed. Again borrowed some code from Snes9x v1.52 and hacked together the SPC7110 decompression. So now this version of Snes9x based on v1.43 doesn't require graphics packs!!! Best part: Tengai Makyou Zero (Far East of Eden Zero) boots! Thanks to @vander263 for pointing out. But there are some potential problems with save states not working well with this game.

4. Super Chase HQ's introduction is fixed. Thanks to @angelhp for pointing it out.

5. Critical bugs related timing issues when using cheats are fixed.

.3DSX version: Download
.CIA version: Download

As always, feedback is welcome. :)

Mario RPG runs at 60 fps when there are no NPCs or Enemies in the overworld :).
And to think that you said at some point that it would be impossible for the O3DS to play SA-1 games at a playable speed :rofl2:

The 3D broke in this update tho, the images aren't being Aligned correctly .

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
SuperFX appears to have been broken in this build, causing all 3d objects to flicker constantly. The 3D slider is also not working correctly, as @AtlasFontaine pointed out, the images are not aligned.

Oops. I reverted the implementation of the 3D slider and the SuperFX emulation. Apparently Starfox needs the original timing hack in Snes9x v1.43 more than I thought it needed. :(

Also implemented the RetroArch-style 3D slider. Push it a little higher, and you get a super bright screen with the parallax barrier disabled.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Mario RPG runs at 60 fps when there are no NPCs or Enemies in the overworld :).
And to think that you said at some point that it would be impossible for the O3DS to play SA-1 games at a playable speed :rofl2:

The 3D broke in this update tho, the images aren't being Aligned correctly .

Yup I said something to the extend that it was impossible. I just never tried it. :rofl2:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Where is the newest cia?

Same link as the one I posted above.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tested the 3D, it is fixed and working very good :) But now the max fps count is locked on 58.8 for every game instead of 59 or 60

58.8? Hmm hadn't noticed. Will have a look when I get back tonight. Thanks for pointing it out. By the way does the 3D implementation work exactly the same way as RetroArch?

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
58.8? Hmm hadn't noticed. Will have a look when I get back tonight. Thanks for pointing it out. By the way does the 3D implementation work exactly the same way as RetroArch?

TBH I haven't used the 3d on Retroarch, but now I noticed that If i don't move the slider fully, the screen gains a lot of brightness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go +2