SNES9x for Old 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bubble2k16, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Chris_Highwind

Chris_Highwind GBAtemp Fan

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Mooresville, NC
    It seems like now would be a good time to say that if you don't mind less stable builds, the latest nightly would be a good choice for many hacks and translation patches, as it implements a lot of emulation tweaks that make them playable, but this is just based off of experiences.

EDIT: Also, between the emulators on the 3DS/N3DS and PS Vita, 1.10b runs SMRPG the best, with the slight hiccup that the in-battle boxes don't have the dimmed backgrounds, and item and special attack names are colored differently depending on the battlefield. However, I actually find this glitch kinda neat, if only to go around the game seeing which battlefield gives the items and special attacks which color, and otherwise is still perfectly readable (though I've only gotten up to the first star, and I had loaded a save from after the intro in Bowser's Castle)

Last edited by Chris_Highwind, Feb 19, 2017
  2. angelhp

angelhp GBAtemp Fan

Nov 30, 2014
    I find this in
    Bad graphics : Lagoon

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks for your hard work @bubble2k16

Last edited by angelhp, Feb 19, 2017
  3. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Does changing the palette options help?

Great, thanks for pointing out! So far this is the only game I know of that use Mode 0 for drawing backgrounds, and Mode 0 has never been tested until now. You've helped to uncover a bug with the palettes. I've just fixed it and pushed it up as a nightly build. Thank you! :grog: Please get the latest build and try it out. :)

.3DSX: Download
    .CIA: Download

BL4Z3D247 and angelhp like this.
  4. angelhp

angelhp GBAtemp Fan

Nov 30, 2014
    Thanks !!
    very fast ......:grog:

5. mqk9999

mqk9999 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    United States
    @bubble2k16 The 3D slider implementation is now perfect. You have no idea how much of a QoL improvement this is for some people :D (or maybe you do since we whined about it for ages)

6. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    :lol: I agree it does look good, but only when I look close enough. Under normal circumstances, it doesn't make much of a difference to my aging eyes -- when I have to look at the screen far away, the sharp mode and the bright mode doesn't make much of a difference to me (except for the brightness). :rofl2:

zeldaism and Michierusama like this.
  7. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    I noticed that for Battletoads too. I haven't done an investigation, but I believe it's some in-frame palette change effects that the game uses, and as you may already know, this emulator has problems with that since we are using the 3DS GPU. It's something we can't run really fix without impacting performance.

I've tried my best in the latest nightly build to fix the BSX emulation, by porting some BSX code over from snes9x-sx2. I can actually get the BSX BIOS to boot now and you can walk around in the nameless town or whatever it's called, but I still couldn't get a number of games to boot - BS Zelda, BS Dragon Quest (gets stuck), etc. I tried booting those games directly, and through the BIOS, they either crash, or get stuck, or the BSX BIOS decides they are corrupted and removes them.

I don't really know what's wrong. I suppose that's the furthest I can go with BSX emulation, until someone familiar with BSX comes along to help.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  8. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Thank you for explaining in detail what is going on with those games.
    Really appreciated :)
    I wiill try to search if someone can help out with the BSX emulation, it's the least I can do.

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Be sure to test Equinox regarding Mode 0 (I can't right now). It's used for the title screen.

10. angelhp

angelhp GBAtemp Fan

Nov 30, 2014
    Equinox run well

Michierusama likes this.
  11. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    I think I'm not the only one that is extremely happy with how far along this emulator progressed, it really shines as a beacon of what emulators should be in terms of effort put into them especially considering the hardware limitations of the O3DS platform.
    Now if only someone made a NES emulator of similar quality :P

DrkBeam, XRaTiX, zeldaism and 4 others like this.
  12. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    I just did. Seems like there are some small color problems when the clouds appear. :(

Something interesting I noted. BS Dragon Quest can actually run... if you leave it running long enough, at least in my Citra emulator. Apparently, it freezes for a long time at the map, but leave it there for a few minutes, the game eventually starts. There's also the week 1 Castle in the Rain (for those of you who know what I mean), again if you let rain fall long enough, a few minutes or so, eventually the game starts. Seems like it's waiting for some 'live' event... well because that's how Satellaview games worked. They were generally based on the Satellaview's unit's "real-time clock", or may have been dependent on some voice-acting/orchestrated music broadcast over the Satellaview radio.

ShadowOne333 and BL4Z3D247 like this.
  13. Chris_Highwind

Chris_Highwind GBAtemp Fan

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Mooresville, NC
    Enabling the palettes makes the item and special attack names the proper color, but there's still no dimmed backgrounds. I'm ok with it, though.

14. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Ok v1.10 is out. I don't expect many more updates from now on... unless there are bugs that needs fixing, or some compatibility problems that are relatively easy to fix.

v1.10
    - Implemented SA-1 sleep speed-hacks on the following games. These games run faster and some are able to run at 60 fps on the Old 3DS when things on-screen aren't too busy:
    Super Mario RPG; Kirby’s Dreamland; Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius; Kirby Super Star; Marvelous; Super Robot Taisen; Panic Bomber World; Dragon Ball Hyper Dimension; SD Gundam Next; Power Rangers Zeo; Daisenryaku Expert 2; Masters New Augusta 3; Bass Fishing; J96 Dream Stadium; Shining Scorpion; Pebble Beach New; PGA European Tour; SD F1 Grand Prix;
    - Fixed mode 7’s CLIP_10_BIT_SIGNED formula to use the original Snes9x’s formula. This fixes Super Chase HQ’s mode 7 intro.
    - Imported SPC7110 decompressor chip code from Snes9x 1.52. Now Tengai Makyou Zero (Far East of Eden Zero) can boot after 2 restarts, and in-game graphics appears without problems.
    - Fixed important bug in cheat engine so that it doesn't not increment the 65816 processor's clock cycles when enabling/disabling cheats.
    - Fixed the problem of the menu not using the correct font when the emulator first boots up.
    - Added one more mode when using the 3D slider for a sharper image.
    - Major refactoring of code.
    - Fixed SA1 MMC's memory map code by copying it from Snes9x 1.54.2. Now Super Mario World hack VLDC 9 boots.
    - Fixed Mode 0 rendering bug. The original bug was there since day 1 and with this fix, Lagoon's title screen looks right.

Attached Files:

Last edited by bubble2k16, Feb 20, 2017
  15. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Will update as soon as I get home!
    Thank you so much for your work! :D

zeldaism and Michierusama like this.
  16. ajfoucault

ajfoucault Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Maybe I am using the wrong ROM, are you using the headerless one? or the one with a header? What's the right CHECKSUM number?

I am using Lunar IPS to patch them, could that be what I am doing wrong?

17. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Super Mario RPG's intro cutscenes won't get below 50 fps on o3ds. Amazing work! Thanks a lot :yay3ds:

Sent from my 1DS with A9LH using Discord Nitro

Michierusama likes this.
  18. Stellar Bull

Stellar Bull Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2014
    Could you post a screenshot of it? It's your project and your time and effort, I don't expect you to work on anything you don't want to, but I'm just curious to see how it compares to bilinear.

19. coinblock

coinblock GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    @ajfoucault: I'm using the headerless ROM, I believe.

@bubble2k16: Thank you so much for the latest update! Before you stop the updates though, would you please be able to add an option to change controller ports? The official SNES VC has this, and it's nice to use when playing some 2-player games like Super Mario World.

20. georgejane8

georgejane8 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2015
    United States
    I love this - I use my 3DS just to play SNES on the go now!