Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks awesome, will give it a try. Though you might want to make a CIA of it too so CFW users can use it from the home screen.

Reactions: WooHyun

nooby89

A normal member with a stupid alias
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, and I found few issues :
  • Donkey Kong Contry cannot be playable because the game recognize that plays with an emulator... (I tested DKC2 and DKC3 and the problem is not here)
    613445ED-CF1D-7AA0-0DEF8232EFFC01B9.jpg
  • The screenshot toll with home menu make glitched screenshots on all games (check the .png file)
  • The folder selection glitch at the lasts folders

Your emulator is fantastic, don't give up ! :)

Attachments

• scr_1_TOP_RIGHT.png
    scr_1_TOP_RIGHT.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: Michierusama

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
overall, this is pretty nice. sound effects are lagging a tad bit more than i like, but otherwise, its good to see something making snes on o3ds work.

tried tiny toons buster busts loose. title screen graphic seems somewhat scrambled, but it worked fine at 49,9 frames (eu version i guess) till the mode 7 bonus level select where it crashed.
then moved on to demons crest. apart from some effects dipping the frames to 55 or 50, it runs fine, even on the overworld. and unlike blargsnes, you can enter areas on this. a few minor sound effect issues. the earth gargoyles fire breath and the grabbing on to the wall sound are kinda high pitched and weird. but playable so far.

moved on to castlevania, vampires kiss and fzero. both have terrible sound issues, as expected, fzero doesnt run well.

final fight 3 runs perfect as far as i played it, but had sound issues as well. it was at this point that i realized loading a second or third game seems to sometimes mess with the sound, but closing the 3ds lid fixes that, so scratch the sound issue thing from before.

then tried the translated Live a Live and it runs, albeit with scratchy sound effects in some places (like when there's wind sound effects playing, its just a scratchfest)

super surpised magical pop'n worked so perfectly, its almost too fast. and the soundbytes work normally too. the psp had trouble doing this one without graphic issues.

personally, i can live with out of sync sound, if the scratchy stuff gets fixed eventually.

wonder if it would be possible to put the fps display to the top screen as well, allowing the bottom screen to be powered off entirely during gameplay? not actually sure if the 3ds supports doing that, but if it does, that would be nice

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yea, I've seen that for all them pretty much except gpsp. works fine, practically full speed for my games at least

whuat? which gpsp on 3ds and what games did you find that run practically full speed?

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whuat? which gpsp on 3ds and what games did you find that run practically full speed?
the retroarch gpsp installed as a .cia on cfw on O3ds seemed to run the pokemon games full speed (only slowdowns were at times such as when u save, the main menu of emerald, and a couple battle transitions. 60fps everywhere else). I also tried the retroarch snes9x as a .cia on cfw, same 3ds, yet it didnt run full speed. Does this one work better than blargsnes?

Last edited by TimX24968B,

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the retroarch gpsp installed as a .cia on cfw on O3ds seemed to run the pokemon games full speed (only slowdowns were at times such as when u save, the main menu of emerald, and a couple battle transitions. 60fps everywhere else). I also tried the retroarch snes9x as a .cia on cfw, same 3ds, yet it didnt run full speed. Does this one work better than blargsnes?
Old or new 3ds?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just tried secret of mana. runs pretty well, but the menu texts are kinda screwed up?
its already garbled at the new game/continue screen and continues on in menues like the stat screen. i thought it was due to a bad rom, but it's happening in both the us and german version and works fine on zsnes my laptop.

it might be a general problem with that squeezed together half-width font some games use.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey bubble, you are doing a fantastic work! v0.3 improved the frame rate in a lot of games and fixed some graphical glitches.

Donkey Kong Country 2 runs almost at 60fps in all levels (with frame skip 4) yet there are levels where it runs at a solid 60 with frame skip 1. DKC3 runs likes DKC2, 58-60fps with frame skip 4. Super Mario Kart runs faster too, 56 fps with frame skip 4. Super Mario World runs at 60 fps.

I wish you could implement dynarec if you make a cia build of this, it would be a nice speed increase for all games without the need of a high frame skip option.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,
Reactions: Billy Acuña

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I just managed to set up my 3DS with CFW, and as expected the CIA version doesn't quite work. It stops at the CSND initialisation. Any home-brew devs who can help?

By the way I had a look at Secret of Mana. The text is garbled in the menu because the screen is in high-res mode 512x224 rather than the usual 256x224. This emulator currently doesn't support displays in hi-res.

I realized blargsnes on github has a branch uses Ndsp for sound. Will try that!

Last edited by bubble2k16,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I just managed to set up my 3DS with CFW, and as expected the CIA version doesn't quite work. It stops at the CSND initialisation. Any home-brew devs who can help?

By the way I had a look at Secret of Mana. The text is garbled in the menu because the screen is in high-res mode 512x224 rather than the usual 256x224. This emulator currently doesn't support displays in hi-res.

You also can look at implementing DSP driver :)

Reactions: Billy Acuña

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just found a problem on dkc2. In the glimmer's galleon level, when glimmer the fish joins you, the fps drops to 8 and the screen freezes, you can still play because you hear the swimming sound...

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

With Ndsp not only you will improve sound, it will also improve perfomance which means better framerate :)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With Ndsp not only you will improve sound, it will also improve perfomance which means better framerate :)

now that would be nice. though framerate isn't a big issue in most games (and where it is, i guess it's not going to make a world of difference), so performance gains could go towards sound timing.

it does with gpsp installed on cfw as a .cia

could you link me to the exact version you're using? because I've had several gba emus as cia and none of them had 60 fps past the main menu screen

_________

as for further games i tried

Zelda - great, though minor graphic glitch in upper left corner in some dungeons
Earthbound - minor frame drops during some attack animations and at start of battles. minor graphic glitches (like heads disappearing behind background tiles like ATM Machines)
Magical Pop'n - surprisingly the voice effects work well, runs perfectly too
Contra 3: slowdowns during bomb usage, works well in mode 7 levels
Final Fantasy 6 - playable, but wonky framerate during battles / attack animations, terrible sound at least in Narshe.
Secret of Evermore - Some framedips during the story intro, but otherwise runs normal.
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Same text issues (high res mode) as Secret of Mana
Plok - Great. That one didn't work on blargsnes.
King of Demons - Perfect
Treasure Hunter G - minor graphic glitches. if you walk behind a npc sprite , the player sprite wont disappear behind the npc, but the npc will disappear behind player sprite.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice