Homebrew SNES Virtual Console on o3DS maybe?

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quoted from @DiscostewSM:

"As one of the contributors to blargSNES, the only reason why it can run many games at 60fps on an o3DS is because it is not only heavily cycle-inaccurate, but it is also using the GPU for hardware rendering. Nintendo is using software-rendering, which is the most accurate, yet, process-intensive method.

Hardware rendering works by rendering each and every map tile and sprite (each split into 8x8 pixels cels, because that's how the SNES works) as a pair of polygons. Each "unique" tile scanned (from left to right, top scanline to bottom of the frame) has to be converted from the SNES's 2/4/8-bitplane form into a 16-bit direct-color, z-order curve format (because the GPU lacks paletted texture support), and stored into a texture cache. Changing of hte palette means any tiles that used the palette in that range has to be reconverted. The lack of paletted textures means that palette effects that show mid-frame can't happen (excludes the "background color). DKC's first level shows this with the trees, though more recent blargSNES builds has the background color gradient working, not the trees. There are other numerous effects that are missing, but we continue looking for alternatives (but RL has been in the way).

In a worst-case scenario for non-hi-res modes, you're looking at around 14.8k polygons per BG per frame when there is scanline alterations being done. Most games use Mode 1, which has 3 BG layers, so a worst-case scenario there would be ~2.66 million polygons per second. Seem like something the 3DS can handle, but take into account that the polygon list has to be generated per frame, which means the list can't reside in VRAM (nor can the texture cache), so it's all running off the main RAM.

Be aware that while we may not care for inaccuracies for free stuff, we do care when it comes to paying for them."

Best Explanation I've ever seen so far.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
retroarch on o3ds does well? since when?
Last time I used it, like in december.

It was fairly good. Most games ran in fullspeed with catsfc (based on snes9x 1.43) catsfc plus was slower.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last time I used it, like in december.

It was fairly good. Most games ran in fullspeed with catsfc (based on snes9x 1.43) catsfc plus was slower.

are you sure you're not talking new3ds? whenever i tried the snes emulators, i didn't manage to get a single game run as well as in blargsnes :/

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
The thing I wouldn't mind is if we were to try make a 'fake' VC for the SNES. So a BlargSNES cia with only one rom to load. We can copy over the banners from a n3ds rom. It's pretty much the same thing.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlargSNES is not as accurate.

N3DS has better hardware.
Obviously.

Yeah, Blarg can run at 60FPS, doesn't change the fact it's inaccurate and technically inferior to the VC emulator.

/thread

Last edited by dankzegriefer,
Reactions: NinjaD

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Blargsnes does run games smoother on o3ds (should be good enough) so to me how blargsnes uses dsp and GPU is technically superior to Snes VC (hint: nintendo shouldve done the same).

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blargsnes does run games smoother on o3ds (should be good enough) so to me how blargsnes uses dsp and GPU is technically superior to Snes VC (hint: nintendo shouldve done the same).
Great.
In your subjective opinion.
Objectively the emulator is more accurate and better than BlargSNES. I do not care if it runs at 60FPS, accuracy on a PAID product is more important than compatibility with your outdated hunk of plastic.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I have a lot of reasons to think blargsnes could handle special chips (on REALLY old hardware) but i will say i actually give a damn about your words.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a lot of reasons to think blargsnes could handle special chips (on REALLY old hardware) but i will say i actually give a damn about your words.
>has lots of reasons
>doesn't state a single one
>brings special chips out of nowhere
suuuuuuuure buddy I believe you

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
are you sure you're not talking new3ds? whenever i tried the snes emulators, i didn't manage to get a single game run as well as in blargsnes :/
Couldn't remember what I used, but I was in CFW, and it was not blargsnes. I'm sure it was CATsfc, the sound emulation was horrible :/ That's a snes9x 1.43 thing I could recognize in a single second

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
you know they can't actually sell a product in that state
uh, Snes9x is FREE. :huh:
the bad sound quality comes from the inaccurate SPC700 emulation, from the outdated Snes9x 1.43.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...