Homebrew SNES Virtual Console on o3DS maybe?

Esppiral

Trophies
XP
Country
They aren't trying that hard and it comes obvious wen you realize namco has Snes emulation running on O3ds for years.....

8isea9e.jpg

Reactions: tatumanu and MannCo

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O3DS people salty they're not getting 20 year old games on their handheld.
N3DS people constantly looking to validate their $200 purchase of a console with only two exclusives.
Entitlement. GBATemp in a nutshell.
Kinda this. I got my o3DS xl for free, and pirate everything, so I don't mind the exclusives and I'm a happy camper with my hax o3ds.

But Nintendo sure isn't doing a good job on trying to entice me to buy a n3DS. I mean, a shitty port of Xenoblade, and near 30 year old games? They could do better, but they cannot, or they'd piss off 70% of their audience that uses o3DS.

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kinda this. I got my o3DS xl for free, and pirate everything, so I don't mind the exclusives and I'm a happy camper with my hax o3ds.

But Nintendo sure isn't doing a good job on trying to entice me to buy a n3DS. I mean, a shitty port of Xenoblade, and near 30 year old games? They could do better, but they cannot, or they'd piss off 70% of their audience that uses o3DS.
This, i would certainly not be one of the people to buy a n3DS because i found it to be a "Sry that our console sucked, but we fixed it, so buy this, now. Fuck you" from nintendo in the first place... But now it's a thing and a lot of people own it and watching the rather scarce advantages they get for either paying more or in most cases twice the money because they still own a o3ds is just sad somehow. Here we are watching another of the famous temp-flamefest-topics grow over the fact that nintendo somewhat messed up (again) and came up with another "brilliant" idea to make it "worth" for their customers by throwing in emulation, which the Community shats about as "only for a superior device" which at the end of the day isn't all that superior in any sense of the word. Want working SNES emulation on the go, take your Android phone (at this point pretty much EVERY android phone down to HALF the price of a N3DS) pair any controller to it and go to town. The 3DS lineup, while having some decent nintendo games i will someday remember as classics is NOT a lineup of powerfull devices worth the salt they get but just a assortment of gimmicks that feel good for gaming, coming from a company which basically invented my childhood and sometimes manages to recap that feeling with their games, which I give them credit for. But THATs it, the hardware they choose is subpar, they are STILL learning how to Internet and a lot of their marketing choices are flat-out questionable. And this one, despite the fact that they may felt it not feasible on the o3ds or whyever it turned out like this was a bad one too (snes on 3ds gpu not good enough, port the present DShardware out of its sandbox and use that, it WORKED on that before! Dont want the users of your newer fancy excuse of a consoleupgrade crying while the old users feel justified over buying your thing? Totally a thing one could have thought about BEFORE releasing the N3DS or even the old one in the first place. Want people to buy your games digitally, make a normal working DRM store for your consoles with working acounts and redownloads like the concurrency allready did LAST GEN, without artificially bundling a console to a user like a soul to a contract...)

Reactions: Ev1l0rd and Ranomez

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
blargSNES is only proposed as an alternative to O3DS users. AFAIK none of the Retroarch SNES emulators are anywhere near playable on O3DS.

But SNES VC games can't be used on O3DS so I don't really see the point.
They aren't trying that hard and it comes obvious wen you realize namco has Snes emulation running on O3ds for years.....

8isea9e.jpg

From what I read/saw with the game files, those titles doesn't use an emulator for SNES games. That's why they probably could easily change Dragon Ball Z Butouden 2 soundtrack in the Extreme Butoden special edition (which couldn't be done directly on the rom, as I'm pretty sure they don't have the source code anymore, like for most old games).

If they would be a standard SNES emulator, you would have seen SNES VC injection a long while ago.

Last edited by davhuit,

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of these boys and their gross misunderstanding and misinterpretation of hardware documentation, reverse engineering, processing cpu cycles/sync, overhead for audio emulation, the architecture of the 3DS CPU and graphics accelerator, available procedures and subroutines for accessing the 3ds hardware and modules, etc...

There's a reason blargsnes doesn't run accurately or reliably on o3ds, yet cores contained within the libretro libraries handle things on the order of magnitudes better

Last edited by ArtemisM,
Reactions: kiwiis

Ranomez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
This, i would certainly not be one of the people to buy a n3DS because i found it to be a "Sry that our console sucked, but we fixed it, so buy this, now. Fuck you" from nintendo in the first place... But now it's a thing and a lot of people own it and watching the rather scarce advantages they get for either paying more or in most cases twice the money because they still own a o3ds is just sad somehow. Here we are watching another of the famous temp-flamefest-topics grow over the fact that nintendo somewhat messed up (again) and came up with another "brilliant" idea to make it "worth" for their customers by throwing in emulation, which the Community shats about as "only for a superior device" which at the end of the day isn't all that superior in any sense of the word. Want working SNES emulation on the go, take your Android phone (at this point pretty much EVERY android phone down to HALF the price of a N3DS) pair any controller to it and go to town. The 3DS lineup, while having some decent nintendo games i will someday remember as classics is NOT a lineup of powerfull devices worth the salt they get but just a assortment of gimmicks that feel good for gaming, coming from a company which basically invented my childhood and sometimes manages to recap that feeling with their games, which I give them credit for. But THATs it, the hardware they choose is subpar, they are STILL learning how to Internet and a lot of their marketing choices are flat-out questionable. And this one, despite the fact that they may felt it not feasible on the o3ds or whyever it turned out like this was a bad one too (snes on 3ds gpu not good enough, port the present DShardware out of its sandbox and use that, it WORKED on that before! Dont want the users of your newer fancy excuse of a consoleupgrade crying while the old users feel justified over buying your thing? Totally a thing one could have thought about BEFORE releasing the N3DS or even the old one in the first place. Want people to buy your games digitally, make a normal working DRM store for your consoles with working acounts and redownloads like the concurrency allready did LAST GEN, without artificially bundling a console to a user like a soul to a contract...)

That's pretty much all the truth there is related to the o3DS and n3DS and Nintendo atm.
Although I am saying that being myself a n3DS XL owner and also one that just bought his console about a month ago I did buy it for about 120$ new, sealed and with warranty (which was about the same price I could have bought a o3DS XL also) but I am still really disappointed in Nintendo for quite a lot of reasons:
  1. First reason would be that a new n3DS in any store in my country has the price about 1.5-2X the normal price that it is in other EU countries so I had to buy an out of country one, fortunately there are a lot of people bringing them here unofficially at really good prices, even lower than a new one would be in other countries but that does mean I would have to pay to ship mine to France if I ever needed warranty (like I'll risk doing that and loosing *hax).
  2. The second and most important reason is the fact that all of their services are disabled in my country, which includes their store, sure I can and did make my account set to an other country but that does still not allow me to buy things using the store (it ofc won't accept my card) and I am quite against piracy being a (to be, as I didn't yet release anything) software developer myself (well not against in the way that I criticize anyone for doing it, it's your choice and you are free to do it but I try my best not to do it myself) and I did buy cartridges for all the games that I installed as .cia on mine but I still can't buy cartridges for the VC things or the 3DSWare and DSiWare things which means I am forced to pirate those if I really want them.
  3. The third reason is pretty much the reason why I really needed to install a CFW: you can't install the games from the cartridges to the SD Card, as I said I did buy all of them but who on earth would carry all those cartridges with him at all times to be able to play his games (note also that I bought them but some didn't yet arrive as I had to buy from other countries), if they would have allowed that, perhaps even linking that cartridge to your console so only you would be able to boot it after I might not have installed a CFW (well I probably still would have to make my DS flashcard work for the same reason and also for homebrew).
  4. And the fourth reason, once again related to piracy, is the fact that they released those GBA and NES VC titles only for the ones that used the Club thing and that does mean that anyone that would want to play those is left with no other option than pirating them.
  5. And the final reason and this is pretty much just a rant on my side as everyone else does the same except Sony: region locking, like really, I am learning Japanese so ofc I want to and can play some Japanese games or games in Japanese even (or at least the game with Japanese audio and English text-undubs) so if I can afford buying the game from Japan (or ebay or whatever) why not let me? (not to even speak about how some games get "censored" releases for EUR and US so perhaps I really want to play the original version instead)

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

SwaGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
blargSNES is only proposed as an alternative to O3DS users. AFAIK none of the Retroarch SNES emulators are anywhere near playable on O3DS.
This sounds absurd but RetroArch (pocketsnes) could handle Super Mario Rpg (WITH SOUND,bugging quite much of course but better than nothing,while without sound it's playable,around 45-55 fps) while blargsnes couldn't even load it,now,blargsnes is good but it's probably abadoned because of irl issues happening to the developer s. it's not likely to be enhanced anytime soon (Note:o3ds user)

Last edited by SwaGoat,
P

PaiiNSteven

This sounds absurd but RetroArch (pocketsnes) could handle Super Mario Rpg (WITH SOUND,bugging quite much of course but better than nothing,while without sound it's playable,around 45-55 fps) while blargsnes couldn't even load it,now,blargsnes is good but it's probably abadoned because of irl issues happening to the developer s. it's not likely to be enhanced anytime soon (Note:o3ds user)
It can vary, actually. I was curious a while ago, so I did a speed test. Turns out PocketSNES can run the best; 40-45 fps on Super Mario World. All the others were either at or below 30 FPS.
Pure speculation, but it would be really cool of there was a blargsnes core for retroarch.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love my day-one N3DS and the Retroarch cores but I also maintain my O3DS in order to know what's good for the non-N3DS owners I know. Also for me there's something strangely comforting about having a use for the original launch machine I migrated from.

Anyway I was harsh on Blargsnes because none of the ROMS I first tested with it worked. I literally thought "Damn - how broken is this? Sorry O3DS pals - there's no playable SNES emulation for you, unfortunately". But then I discovered the compatibility list and realised that a handful of fantastic games actually run excellently - well, more than adequately anyway. Sure, you're never going to be certain that all the background layers and sound channels are there and a tonne of the more demanding and interesting games do not play at all but I still think it's a marvellous piece of work with enough compatibility for it to be an essential addition to every homebrew enabled O3DS.

Of the 200+ playable games a lot of undeniable classics make the cut:

- Super Castlevania IV
- Axelay
- Breath Of Fire I & II
- Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
- Contra Spirits
- F-Zero
- Earthbound
- Donkey Kong Country
- Parodius
- Gradius III
- Super Metroid (+ hacks)
- Kiki Kaikai I & II
- Hagane
- Legend of the Mystical Ninja
- Ninja Warriors
- Wild Guns
- Super Mario World / Allstars
- Mega Man X
- Prince of Persia
- Rampart
- Space Megaforce / Super Aleste
- Shadowrun
- Umihara Kawase
- Terranigma
- Twinbee
- UN Squadron
- Thunder Spirits

...and that's just the SNES games that I personally to my taste / interest.

Judging from Nintendo's dripfeed approach to virtual console releases the N3DS won't ever get an official list of SNES titles as varied and large as that chunk of the Blargsnes ones I've listed, and it's a miracle that they mostly run at full speed (albeit with some hacky witchcraft). It's a shame that a a lot of system classics like Super Mario Kart, Assault Suit Valken et al probably won't ever run on an O3DS but none of the SNES library should be running at all.

We should be hella thankful.

Reactions: Hoppy

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If retroatch was ever optimized to run on 3ds hardware instead of just being ported over then things might have been different but since retroarch is on 3ds, people have just accepted that instead of trying to make emulators built specifically for the 3ds hardware.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what it this :O ?
J Legend Retsuden, a compliation pack of famicom and super famicom games. Based on what some people have said though the game does not use emulation, otherwise the 3ds community would have snes/other rom injects a long time ago.

SwaGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It can vary, actually. I was curious a while ago, so I did a speed test. Turns out PocketSNES can run the best; 40-45 fps on Super Mario World. All the others were either at or below 30 FPS.
Pure speculation, but it would be really cool of there was a blargsnes core for retroarch.
What you said is true actually, I tried to play Donkey Kong Country on PocketSNES and the sounds were horrible and the gameplay quite laggy if you ask me,on blargsnes,the game was fullspeed (it looked like at least,I've only played the wii vc edition and it was probably the same) but for some reason DKC2-3 wouldn't start,even if it said the src has loaded

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P