SNEmulDS Question

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by HEARDATBEAT, Feb 10, 2008.

Feb 10, 2008

SNEmulDS Question by HEARDATBEAT at 9:30 PM (1,402 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. HEARDATBEAT
    OP

Member HEARDATBEAT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Could this great emulator ever have prefect compatibility with SNES game besides the obvious Mario RPG which has that special chip which can't be emulated by the DS

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Probably not. It renders directly to the screen using the DS's 2D hardware, and as such it will always have some graphical glitches. A software renderer would get rid of graphical glitches but would slow it down horribly.

SMRPG isn't the only one with a special coprocessor chip. See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a more complete listing of games that won't run on any SNES emu for the DS.

3. HEARDATBEAT
    OP

United States
    so a game like super metroid can never be emulated perfectly on the DS on any emulator?

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I don't see why not eventually, it's got no special chips or anything. You've got to give the emu coder a chance though. He's porting an emulator across to a system where he doesn't have the official SDK and it's not like you can just nip out to the shops to buy a book on coding for the DS. He's done a pretty amazing job in the little time he's been working on it. Perfect emulation will probably appear at some point, just be patient.

5. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I never knew there were so many FX/DSP games! Although I'm not sure Dungeon Master should be in there as it runs on a copier without a DSP upgrade or a DSP enabled cart plugged in.

EDIT : Actually I was wrong about Dungeon Master, just tried loading it up on the SNES and it didn't run.

6. HEARDATBEAT
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry i didn't mean to sound like i was rushing the coder i was just curious if it was possible

7. rudedoggx

Member rudedoggx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Emulation may not be the best for some games, but has anyone tried to play it with the EZ Flash 3-in-1? The added 256 MB RAM really increases the speed.

8. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    What 256MB RAM?

It has 16MB RAm...

9. DanTheManMS

United States
    In theory, the extra RAM shouldn't really improve speed too much. It's a trade-off you see. Without the RAM, large roms have to constantly page in and out of memory, which causes slowdown. With RAM, you don't have to do that, but external RAM is slower to access than DS RAM by nature. Granted, you've got a 3in1 (fastest slot-2 RAM) while I have a Supercard (slowest slot-2 RAM) so that may play a role, but I haven't noticed any real improvement when using v0.6 Alpha as opposed to v0.5 Beta.

10. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    screw this post

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    8 bits to a byte. 256 Mbits = 32 MBytes. The 3in1 contains 256 Mbits (32 MBytes) of NOR flash, and 128 Mbits (16 MBytes) of RAM.