SMG Update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bestperson, Jul 29, 2008.

Jul 29, 2008

SMG Update by bestperson at 2:37 PM (1,302 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. bestperson
    OP

Member bestperson Advanced Member

United States
    I have a wasabi modchip in my wii. Before I got the modchip I bought SMG and I updated when I put the disc in and it asked for an update. I played the game all the way through and beat it. I then got the modchip and gave the game to my friend to play and I got a backed up copy of SMG. Now when I put this backed up copy in it says it wants to update again. I'm running 3.2U and I tried running the back up through GeckoOs and it acts like it is loading up but then just freezes at a black screen. What should I do? Should I patch the image with brick blocker and regionfrii?

2. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    what version of SMG is it. US, EU, or JPN.

3. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    If the game's the same region as your Wii, then you should have no problem if you update.

4. bestperson
    OP

United States
    the nfo claims it is NTSC-U, which is what my wii is, but how can I verify this? Why does it want me to update again anyway if I already did the update with the official disc?

5. Condukt365

Newcomer Condukt365 Member

United States
    So you're saying you downloaded an ISO off the internet? For shame.

But all shame aside you can use RegionFrii or another program that can change a disc's region code to verify it.

6. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Two ways:

1) Use WUM to open the ISO and check what region the disc is...

2) Use WiiBrowser to extract to extract a file named boot.bin from the game partition (not the update partition) from the disc. Open this in a hex editor and look at the start. The forth byte (or 0x003) will be your country code.
    P/Z = PAL
    E = NTSC-U
    J = NTSC-J

7. bestperson
    OP

United States
    thanks for the help. I'll try this out tonight.

does anybody have any idea why geckoOS froze up on me? Could I have done something wrong, or does GeckoOS not work with every game?

Is it weird that it even wants to update? Shouldn't the update already be there from when I played the original game?

8. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Yes - 3.2 is much newer than SMG is...

It's more likely that it's wanting to update news/weather channels. So it's either from another region - doesn't see any news/weather from that region and wants to install them.... or maybe you have removed the ones from your own region.

I wouldn't stress about it personally - updates off discs which are older than the menu you're already running will just give you dupe channels.

With regards to gecko OS - could have been a bad burn.... could be a video mode incompatibility. Cross-region games don't always work - SMG NTSC-U works fine in my PAL wii though (in 480p).