Smash Switch to be Showcased in June

SmashLogo.jpg

Finally! For the first time ever, we will get to see what the newly announced and unnamed Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Switch will look like! And this will be no later than in June prior to E3!

On June 11-12 in Los Angeles, an invited group of players will gather to play Super Smash Bros., and qualified teams will compete in Splatoon 2, as Nintendo hosts an event featuring high-level gameplay on these two games for Nintendo Switch. This will be the first-ever exhibition tournament featuring the recently announced Super Smash Bros. game coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018.

Additionally, this will be the first world championship for Splatoon 2 after the game’s launch. The gathering will be a celebration of fun for all ages, and will highlight Nintendo’s unique approach to competitive play. The event will be just one of Nintendo’s activities at the E3 video game trade show, which runs June 12-14 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Additional details about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced at a later time.

Are you excited for the reveal? Will it be a port or an entirely new game? Only time will tell... but stay tuned as we cover the E3 event live! In the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts and guesses below!

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox
:arrow: Nintendo E3 event

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, all of them have been "ports" with extras since GC times. It's a fighting game! Do you want Arms views or something?
Let's not muddy the waters. They're sequels, even if relatively little changed from game to game. CoD is a prime example of a game they change even less in but still release yearly sequels.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully having it coming this soon will mean we're getting a Smash 4.5 instead of 5.

People are gonna complain, then think and realize the potential of having Smash as GaaS.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully having it coming this soon will mean we're getting a Smash 4.5 instead of 5.

People are gonna complain, then think and realize the potential of having Smash as GaaS.
I mean, I basically expect it to be Smash 4.5, it's the same engine and probably several game modes returning, but they'll call it Smash 5 anyway.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep smash 4 just looks like hd brawl it has a few stages from brawl as well so it feels like its just brawl with some new stages in hd.
If your brawl and sm4sh feel the same, then you either have a much better version of brawl than I do or a much worse sm4sh cause there's no way we are playing the same games.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't expect them to show off gameplay that soon. Maybe a short trailer at E3.
This makes it seem like the game is close to completed already. Either it must have been in the works for quite a while, or it's just a port, but I hope it's not the latter. I'm ready for a brand new Smash, already got kind of bored of Smash 4.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm really hoping the Link reskin is proof that this isn't just another wiiu port.
I just don't get it, what the hell is wrong with a port? Why do everyone care that much?
Sm4sh is completely cool. Just combine all stages of the 3DS and Wii U, add some new stages and characters (Splatoon, BotW Link, even Banjo?), add a nice story mode and call it Smash Deluxe.
Seriously that would be even better than a new game because it would very likely have MORE content than a new game where you start with a smaller roster of characters or at least stages and have to pay for upcoming DLCs to get anywhere near Sm4sh's amount of content.
What would be so great about a new game? New mechanics? Everyone can fly now or turn into a yellow pig? I just don't get it.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't get it, what the hell is wrong with a port? Why do everyone care that much?
Sm4sh is completely cool. Just combine all stages of the 3DS and Wii U, add some new stages and characters (Splatoon, BotW Link, even Banjo?), add a nice story mode and call it Smash Deluxe.
Seriously that would be even better than a new game because it would very likely have MORE content than a new game where you start with a smaller roster of characters or at least stages and have to pay for upcoming DLCs to get anywhere near Sm4sh's amount of content.
What would be so great about a new game? New mechanics? Everyone can fly now or turn into a yellow pig? I just don't get it.
But now imagine my situation - I have played hundreds of hours of smash 4 - meaning a port would have close to zero new content for me.

For the people that skipped it on the wiiu/3ds sure it would be cool, but not for people like me.

Is it so much to ask that companies don't rerelease the same games over and over?

Reactions: nintendoom

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would answer like this: With a new game we have the chance of brand new mechanics and most important: Fresh ideas. Imagine how you would draw a picture if someone already painted half of it. You couldn't be that creative anymore. It's a new chance to see even greater things in the series. And I know we all would love that. :-)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't expect them to show off gameplay that soon. Maybe a short trailer at E3.
This makes it seem like the game is close to completed already. Either it must have been in the works for quite a while, or it's just a port, but I hope it's not the latter. I'm ready for a brand new Smash, already got kind of bored of Smash 4.
If they're "previewing" it in June, then my bet is a fall release date, which would be plenty of time since the last character release for Sm4sh. All we're gonna get in June is a couple versus matches showing off some new characters, I'm sure they won't go into singleplayer modes and all that.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're "previewing" it in June, then my bet is a fall release date, which would be plenty of time since the last character release for Sm4sh. All we're gonna get in June is a couple versus matches showing off some new characters, I'm sure they won't go into singleplayer modes and all that.
Yeah, my guess is it'll be a fairly locked-down "floor demo" type thing running that was built specifically for the competition and their E3 show floor. If we are to assume that it is in fact a new game, Sakurai is going to want to stay fairly tight-lipped on new features until HE wants to reveal them

Reactions: Xzi and x65943

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't be a port, it'll be made for the switch...but I can't imagine it'll be terribly different regardless. Every new game feels more like a finer and finer polish. But to be honest, I don't really care if it's a port or new. It'll be made to be shiny and fun. Lookin' forward to this. Here's hoping isabelle becomes playable (yeah, you heard me)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8