Hacking Sm4shExplorer (Wii U only for now)

deinonychus71

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, now what am I doing wrong?
Dump your game the legit way... the dt files are not supposed to be at the same level as the content folder.

Also releasing a kind of 0.7 version, it doesn't contain everything I wanted to include for this version but since I'm starting work tomorrow, it might be a while since I can work on it again so I figured why not.
If you have issues with it, feel free to use the old version for now.

Changelog:
- Some work on deleting folders to avoid some lock related crashs.
- Fixed the stupid error with export/extract folder, please reset your extract folder in option so that it doesnt go to export anymore. (also clean the export folder)
- Fix illegal extension crash that could happen when keeping some compressed files (or trash files) in the workspace
- Fix resource removal bug
- Sm4shMusic only: Unk3 figured out by BoomShakaLarka, thanks nhb for reporting it.

And now for the ameliorations, please understand that Im only releasing cause Im gonna be busy IRL, they might not be stable for every config/region/whatever:
- Send to SD feature (experimental, tested only with US, see below)
- Open SD folder (if found)
- Pack modded folders: This is mainly to be able to pack new skins (like c07, c08) so that they appear as "packed" files, which will make the game load them much faster. Again, not much testing was done.
- Loading/Build mod/SendToSD are now in separate threads, which means the app shouldn't freeze anymore.

Send To SD:
This feature is made to help newbs copying their mods to the SD without having to worry much about what they're doing. Well on paper it looks like it at least xD
- The program will try to find the path of your game on your SD:
* Loadiine: X://wiiu/games/whateverthatcontainsthegameID/
* SDCafiine: X://fullgameID/
The SD card must be formatted in FAT32 and be a removable drive (that should be the standard...)

- Next, the program will initialize a cache file for your mod folder (export), for your SD content folder, and for the official game content folder. It will ignore the dt files, ls, and movies folder. This operation will take a while, because it's basically calculating a CRC32 of all the existing files to know what will need to be copied where. It also uses the last written date to know when to recalculate the CRC32 or when to just trust the cache.

- If you're on Loadiine, the program will now try to see if any official file exists on the SD. If a previous modded file was found, it will replace it by the original file (except if found in the export folder, cause no need to replace twice)
- If you're on SDCafiine, the program will delete existing modded file on the SD that arent going to be part of the new mod.
- Finally, the program will copy the new mod (export) to the SD, again, only if needed.

So basically, a good way to make sure it works is to try it once, wait for the whole operation to complete, and then try resend immediately. If it works correctly, no file will be copied and the operation will only take a few seconds.
And then if you just modify one file it will only copy the changed files, making Send to SD way faster.
If there's a problem, you can check io.log to maybe figure out what's wrong.

Beware though, it will NOT remove files that doesn't need to removed to make the game works. So if you're using loadiine and you keep some extra old mod files (or csv, texts or anything) in your SD for example, they won't be removed, but they won't be referenced either so it should be fine.

Short term plans:
- Multiple workspaces: I wanted it with this version but I clearly don't have time for now, but basically it would let us activate/deactivate mods, it would be much better to debug one single mod.
- Mod building optimization: Using cache to avoid recreating the exact same packed files everytime.
- RFManager.cs reworking for the new DTLSExtractor
- We recently found the purpose of a flag (flag 0x4000 in the RF resources) that could theorically let us make mods without having to repack the whole packed files everytime or having to extract their whole content.

Last edited by deinonychus71,

deinonychus71

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's in this temporary version? What you mentioned in the change log?
It contains everything in the changelog, I said kind of 0.07 cause I wanted to include at least multiple workspaces, but it will be for 0.08.
Ill do like with 0.06 and have incrementation like 0.07.x to fix bugs that are not new features.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you think you could add some sort of option so certain extensions open with external programs ie msbt reloaded? Or maybe even certain param ones ie Jam's easy CSS editor with the character ui file?
If their owners want to make a plugin for it they can, it's easy enough, but personally I have a lot to do with making the core program more stable and easier to mod with.

Baggy Scraggy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is saving in Sm4shMusic still broken? I just put a lot of work in and I'd like to save it if it is safe. I'm using the 6.4 beta version.

MarinaTentacles

Leader of the Googie Gang
Trophies
Website
marinara.gg
XP
Country
United States
0.07 hasn't given me any issues so far, though I have a suggestion. Mind you, my programming knowledge is limited when it comes to Windows, so bear with me and if it isn't feasible, then just let me know.

Would it be possible to make "save to SD" as a feature that can either:
A - be able to be toggled on/off in options
B - not ask to copy to SD if the SD card isn't present

It's a nit-picky thing, but thought I would drop the suggestion here anyway. I think SmashExplorer is a gorillion times better than BrawlBox, and I loving the SmashMusic plug-in and I can't wait to see what cool stuff you add in next.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone locate the character's victory animations? I made Metal Mario over Dr.Mario added cool stuff. Noises and that walking metal sounds, been working with Metal Mario a lot. He doesn't have a stethoscope so the game crashes when he does one of his victory animation( the one where plays around with his stethoscope) You guys found the victory animation yet?

Pikachuk

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dump your game the legit way... the dt files are not supposed to be at the same level as the content folder.

Also releasing a kind of 0.7 version, it doesn't contain everything I wanted to include for this version but since I'm starting work tomorrow, it might be a while since I can work on it again so I figured why not.

Changelog:
- Fixed the stupid error with export/extract folder, please reset your extract folder in option so that it doesnt go to export anymore. (also clean the export folder)
- Fix illegal extension crash that could happen when keeping some compressed files (or trash files) in the workspace
- Sm4shMusic only: Unk3 figured out by BoomShakaLarka, thanks nhb for reporting it.

And now for the ameliorations, please understand that Im only releasing cause Im gonna be busy IRL, they might not be stable for every config/region/whatever:
- Pack modded folders: This is mainly to be able to pack new skins (like c07, c08) so that they appear as "packed" files, which will make the game load them much faster. Again, not much testing was done.
- Loading/Build mod/SendToSD are now in separate threads, which means the app shouldn't freeze anymore.

Send To SD:
This feature is made to help newbs copying their mods to the SD without having to worry much about what they're doing. Well on paper it looks like it at least xD
The SD card must be formatted in FAT32 and be a removable drive (that should be the standard...)

- Next, the program will initialize a cache file for your mod folder (export), for your SD content folder, and for the official game content folder. It will ignore the dt files, ls, and movies folder. This operation will take a while, because it's basically calculating a CRC32 of all the existing files to know what will need to be copied where. It also uses the last written date to know when to recalculate the CRC32 or when to just trust the cache.

- If you're on Loadiine, the program will now try to see if any official file exists on the SD. If a previous modded file was found, it will replace it by the original file (except if found in the export folder, cause no need to replace twice)
- If you're on SDCafiine, the program will delete existing modded file on the SD that arent going to be part of the new mod.
- Finally, the program will copy the new mod (export) to the SD, again, only if needed.

So basically, a good way to make sure it works is to try it once, wait for the whole operation to complete, and then try resend immediately. If it works correctly, no file will be copied and the operation will only take a few seconds.
And then if you just modify one file it will only copy the changed files, making Send to SD way faster.

Beware though, it will NOT remove files that doesn't need to removed to make the game works. So if you're using loadiine and you keep some extra old mod files (or csv, texts or anything) in your SD for example, they won't be removed, but they won't be referenced either so it should be fine.

Short term plans:
- Multiple workspaces: I wanted it with this version but I clearly don't have time for now, but basically it would let us activate/deactivate mods, it would be much better to debug one single mod.
- Mod building optimization: Using cache to avoid recreating the exact same packed files everytime.
- We recently found the purpose of a flag (flag 0x4000 in the RF resources) that could theorically let us make mods without having to repack the whole packed files everytime or having to extract their whole content.
if sometimes you want to test some experimental features in PAL, you could call me, i've the PAL version, i could help you to test

deinonychus71

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to make "save to SD" as a feature that can either:
A - be able to be toggled on/off in options
B - not ask to copy to SD if the SD card isn't present

It's a nit-picky thing, but thought I would drop the suggestion here anyway. I think SmashExplorer is a gorillion times better than BrawlBox, and I loving the SmashMusic plug-in and I can't wait to see what cool stuff you add in next.
Well thank you :)
And yes, totally, can do that quite easily.

if sometimes you want to test some experimental features in PAL, you could call me, i've the PAL version, i could help you to test
I have a eur Wii U, Ive just been too lazy/busy to test. But if you have a french computer it might help me to know if the send to SD feature works as intended, pm me if you need to :)

Baggy Scraggy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the game crashes on the character select screen what variables should I look into removing in order to fix it? I have modifications for CSP and added slots, but this has never happened before.

MarinaTentacles

Trophies
Website
marinara.gg
XP
Country
United States
If the game crashes on the character select screen what variables should I look into removing in order to fix it? I have modifications for CSP and added slots, but this has never happened before.
In my experience, a bad ui_character_db.bin is at fault. However, I'd go in and "remove mods" from /chr/ as well, because it might be a goofed CSP or something.

Baggy Scraggy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, a bad ui_character_db.bin is at fault. However, I'd go in and "remove mods" from /chr/ as well, because it might be a goofed CSP or something.

I'll try removing the character_db and building a new one then. I hope it isn't the CSPs because Id have to re download a bunch of stuff.

Pikachuk

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well thank you :)
And yes, totally, can do that quite easily.

I have a eur Wii U, Ive just been too lazy/busy to test. But if you have a french computer it might help me to know if the send to SD feature works as intended, pm me if you need to :)
my computer is french,the send to sd works perfectly

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll try removing the character_db and building a new one then. I hope it isn't the CSPs because Id have to re download a bunch of stuff.
the character db is only the layout not the csp

PlasmoidThunder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno about anyone outside the PAL region, but I had to place the CSPs for DLC characters in the region-specific folder (eu_en); also note that they have to go in append/chr.

My CSS crashes were because of one of the chr folders a Shadow Mewtwo costume came with (chr_12), which I guess doesn't like being used on an additional costume slot.

oscat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Changelog:

Send To SD:

Short term plans:
So if I wanted update to 0.7 and bring over my projects, I just need to copy the workspace folder from 0.6?

MarinaTentacles

Trophies
Website
marinara.gg
XP
Country
United States
So if I wanted update to 0.7 and bring over my projects, I just need to copy the workspace folder from 0.6?
Er, you could actually just copy and paste the contents of 0.7 into the current folder for your SmashExplorer. Just let it overwrite any existing files and you should be good.

At least, that's what I did.

nooby89

A normal member with a stupid alias
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The custom music dosen't work for me, I will show you my path file :
Code:
My_Folder/workspace/content/sound/bgm/snd_bgm_galaxy.nus3bank

I go on the Music Plugin, I refresh but nothing appears. :unsure:
Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1