Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys dont be stupid, your console wont go anywhere. Just install some legit cias to pass your time until GW releases their update and youre golden.

I was thinking the same - no real hurry. SysUpdater is just too unstable.

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer my Gateway (rom) saves to cia?

Reonu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Okay so I downgraded my gf's 3DS and now it crashes with a black screen upon boot, but ONLY if the SD card is inserted. With no SD card, it boots, and I can insert it while the system is on. I'm asumming formatting it would solve the problem but, yeah, I don't want to do that. So... any ideas on what files I need to delete on the SD card to make it work again properly?

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I downgraded my gf's 3DS and now it crashes with a black screen upon boot, but ONLY if the SD card is inserted. With no SD card, it boots, and I can insert it while the system is on. I'm asumming formatting it would solve the problem but, yeah, I don't want to do that. So... any ideas on what files I need to delete on the SD card to make it work again properly?

I think I read somewhere changing the theme might fix it. Try that.

ayanekochan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've got a o3ds on 9.9.0-26U I'd like to try downgrading. I've skimmed the thread a bit but 245 pages is quite daunting to go through. Just to make sure I got this clear, all I have to do is follow the op and use the sysupdater from page 95, and then hope for the best?

I have cubic ninja as my entry point, does that one have high success rates? Especially since we can't update to downgrade anymore...

Reactions: send0r

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've got a o3ds on 9.9.0-26U I'd like to try downgrading. I've skimmed the thread a bit but 245 pages is quite daunting to go through. Just to make sure I got this clear, all I have to do is follow the op and use the sysupdater from page 95, and then hope for the best?

I have cubic ninja as my entry point, does that one have high success rates? Especially since we can't update to downgrade anymore...

Likely end up with softbrick, then 10.5 via recovery if you don't update to 10.3 first. If you must..
Use Julian's SysUpdater 9.9 -> 10.3 (upgrade)
Then SafeSysUpdater 10.3 -> 9.2 (downgrade)
Probably better to wait for GW method unless you can afford to risk it

ayanekochan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likely end up with softbrick, then 10.5 via recovery if you don't update to 10.3 first. If you must..
Use Julian's SysUpdater 9.9 -> 10.3 (upgrade)
Then SafeSysUpdater 10.3 -> 9.2 (downgrade)
Probably better to wait for GW method unless you can afford to risk it

Ah I see. I'd probably have to own a GW cart to use their method right? If they ever release one.

How is the success rate for using sysupdater to upgrade and then safesysupdater to downgrade?

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If your homescreen shows up after removing your sd card (assuming you have a black screen when it's inserted) you need to delete 000002cc/d/e (depending on your region) in your sd card's extdata in the Nintendo 3DS folder
Didn't tried, but hey, you loose nothing trying

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Heya, I think the hashes for this are wrong now:
N3DS 9.2.0-20E:
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e?

mujie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
welcome to the cool kids table
ok so you now have a 9.2 console with the homebrew payload for 10.3 (or whatever you were on) you need to reinstall your homebrew entry point The Homebrew Launcher - 3DS you can use browserhax Nintendo 3DS web-browser exploits to do so

and i would not delete the update folder yet. . . first see if the downgrade was complete https://github.com/ihaveamac/downgrade-check/releases
the 3ds folder itself keep it

btw if this is a n3ds you can use this guide [Tutorial] How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT or [Tutorial] Setting up 9.0 - 9.2 N3DS/XL for rxTools CFW, including emuNAND, coldboot, cia Manager for cfw
and if its a o3ds use this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)

Um... Sorry for the trouble again, but do you know how I can use the downgrade checker? Thanks!

mujie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
. . . ?
you drag the folder to the 3ds folder on your sd card (the folder with the other hbc apps)
then you run it like any other homebrew
With the newer one, there's no 3dsx file... Oh well, I'll just use the one you gave me. Thanks!

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys dont be stupid, your console wont go anywhere. Just install some legit cias to pass your time until GW releases their update and youre golden.

I decided try some legit cias but cant get nasa or fbi work. nasa just black screens or shows half dots. fbi loads but invalid argument errors wont install cia. I'm on 9.9 with ninjhax. Anyone know?

mujie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided try some legit cias but cant get nasa or fbi work. nasa just black screens or shows half dots. fbi loads but invalid argument errors wont install cia. I'm on 9.9 with ninjhax. Anyone know?
All the government initials and I can't tell whether you're serious or not. (I'm new to this whole thing)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the government initials and I can't tell whether you're serious or not. (I'm new to this whole thing)
ok real quick and basic
hax (a hbc entry point)
nand (place where system firmware is)
emunand (emulated nand on your sd card)
.cia (installable 3ds game/app)
legit cia (a cia made from a . . . well just leave it at preinstalled game for now)
fbi/bbm/devmenu/and yes nasa (a .cia installer) note nasa and (a mod build of fbi) may be used on fw 9.3-10.3 to install legit cias only
cfw (cfw (rxtools/cakes/pasta/reinand) allows for a lot of features most notably piracy)

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NASA 1.2 and 1.1 would not load on 9.9 period. NASA 1.0 loads 9/10 times. Find this old version if you are on 9.9 and stop banging your head on the wall.

snappycg1996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old 3DS running 9.5.0-22 at the current moment. From what I've read, its recommended to update to 10.3 before downgrading to 9.2, right? I currently have Browserhax and Homemenuhax installed, and can run legit CIAs.

So basically use sysupdater.CIA to use the 10.3 update, then follow OP to downgrade to 9.2? Any other way or success stories?

EDIT: I read that if I update to 10.3, the browser will prompt for an update. Is this true? Anyway to bypass? Is Browserhax obsolete on 10.3 now? I believe 10.4 is still unhacked, and 10.5 definitely. Of course even on 10.5 with browserhax I can't downgrade lol. So, can I still update to 10.3? Or did Nintendo make that obsolete.

Last edited by snappycg1996,

VexSilver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DSXL ( Majora's Mask ) running 9.9.0-26U. I want to downgrade it to 9.2. Is this possible? I have looked through this thread a bit and reddit, some things are a bit vague. Seems like E was ok doing it? But, things are still a bit unclear for N3ds.

I have menuhax, old ironhax on there, and I do need to remove my Tubehax DNS ( which I assume is the custom DNS we originally did when we messed with Tubehax). I'll keep reading around, but if anyone has a suggestion on my particular 3DS, I'd appreciate.

Edit: So looks like some of you are using a way to upgrade to 10.3 and then go down to 9.2 from there if you are running 9.9.0-26U, but still not a whole lot on my crazy firmware.

Last edited by VexSilver,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?