Gaming Shining Resonance {PS3} English Patch - Nearly Complete

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OldSchoolGamer86 Star Ocean I&F, Tales of Vesperia(Also Berseria) are already fully patched on PS3. I have them. One thing to note is that the Star Ocean Patch was only released as a full game not a patch to apply. It is a little wonky as it was done by hand. It would be better to rip the PS4 text assests and over write them. I may do that after this. The other issue is that I had a graphical bug that made a certain map unplayable, in the version I got and it took me about a week playing with the games files before I was able to fix that. At least once I passed that I got about half way through and didn't experience any issues

OldSchoolGamer86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ah, thats interesting. Very strange how you say they released the SO "patch"...thats a pretty new way to go about it for me,

I did know about Vesperia being FT'd already as well as Berseria at the VERY LEAST(wasnt at all aware of much anything else as I mostly follow the PSX/PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, and PSP Fan Translation scene and am new to both this and the Vita scene(Though I know of Innocence R as I I love the "Tales of" series to death ESPECIALLY the 2D games as well as Early 3D...but as Zestria and Berseria were both Immensely different from any other Tales games and for other reasons such as Bamco disbanding the long loved Tales Team, as far as I am concerned those games dont exist and what I consider REAL Tales ended with Xillia 1+2 which were great! So Berseria's translation doesn't interest me, but OTHER games I am not aware of on PS3 that never released in ENG here do interest me a great deal now that I have a way to play them if I can ever get room on the small HDD(filled with PSX games) and some PS2 that im gonna have to remove as they cause my console to get the red blinking light in like 10-15 mins or less after start as I have a 160GB PS3 thats original style but as bare as possible for that model...I am after a better model PS3 though.

Thank you for that information and I will try to look around and see if I can find Star Ocean I&F at the very least as I was helped with Vesperia but I have no clue of it will even work as of how I had to obtain it.

Thanks again, and bet of luck with finishing up that sweet Shining game project!

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any download link?
Not yet. The issue is that with the backported files, some items are higher quality and thus bigger file sizes. None of the current Open Source CPK patchers have fully identified the binary headers and for that reason can only patch byte perfect updates. I spent a while identifying the unknown header values and other missing data points so that I could write a tool to allow for any size patching. The last bit of the tool I am working on is pretty complex. Progress is being made though.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup its a ported multiplat now its was one of the 1st few jrpg's on the Switch. The games that are stuck on the ps3
are Tales of Graces f and Xillia 1-2 . They don't need translation, but Bandai is missing a milking opportunity here

zerodown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why it's stuck?
There remaster Shining Resonance Refrain on many platforms with new characters

Is Shining Resonance Refrain a remaster? I thought it was a sequel or spin off. Apparently the research I did when I read about the title was superficial, thank you.

Yup its a ported multiplat now its was one of the 1st few jrpg's on the Switch. The games that are stuck on the ps3
are Tales of Graces f and Xillia 1-2 . They don't need translation, but Bandai is missing a milking opportunity here

there are other RPGs stuck on PS3;
•Time and Eternity
•The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum
•The Guided Fate: Paradox
• Disgaea D2

Last edited by zerodown,
Reactions: k7ra

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RebootRevival

Any new status update mate?
I have been working on it when I am able to. Little news was available so I just straight up avoided this page for the last 5 months. Life happened and some 3 months went by where I had no time for projects. One of the issues with the patching portion is with data types. Most CPK tools have objects with 7 or 8 properties using a different data type but otherwise the properties are used as 1 thing, the same way, depending on the location. You might have a uint property being used in one place and a ulong being used in another place. For quick and dirty code thats fine but its annoying having 7 properties pretty much be the same thing. And it seemed to be the constraint with patching in other programs.

One of the first things I did when I started this was rewrite that so 1 property was used in a way that any of those data types could be applied as needed. I had some issues getting the read access off that property though which ended up causing a lot of "Reflection" to get the values. Worked but I hated it. Eventually This caused problems with the Patch process too. I can now report that as of today, I have resolved this read access issue and there is no longer any reflection in the codebase. I now have a path forward to finish the patching.

I have also made the code public on github if anyone is interested. Its not pretty at the moment. A lot of old things, partially phased out things, things needing meaningful naming, some things that were just testing out etc. When its fully complete it will be nice. That patching section is empty right now because nothing was working with the issues from above. I have some ideas to clean up some of the repositories and a few other areas that don't make a whole lot of sense anymore too, but I think for now I will leave them as is and finishing the patching portion.

https://github.com/JFG99/CriPack/tree/Rewrite-Repo-Structures

Last edited by RebootRevival,
Reactions: RedL

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those not watching the GitHub.... I know this is an OLD post. But I have been working on this on my own, trying to do something with CPK tools in Open Source that has never been done. So its a very difficult task. I have made tremendous progress this past week. Solving multiple issues that have bugged me since day 1. I am going to continue working on this. PS3 is my main console for play and collecting and I have a number of games I'ld like to see a translation on and this tool will help. No guaranteed date yet, but I have assets ready to go. I just need to complete the updates to make Patching easier. I have started the patching effort in the current branch which has led me to back track and fix a few issues, but again LOTS of changes have been made this past week. Good changes.

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update on progress.

I made a lot of changes to how the archive structure is captured in code. This has made a huge difference in gathering, accessing and manipulating details for patching. As of this morning, the patching process does successfully merge records and tracks all the changes for files being patched in.

It does not currently(by design) track location changes for files that are not patched. In an effort to get a working base that tracks patched records and merges correctly, I am currently just dumping unchanged data into the merge file rather than actually processing it.
Tracks everything that needs tracked as of 12/24.

Plan for the weekend:
I need to extend the portion that dumps unchanged data so that it can capture the details as it does with the patched files. Then update the header records to point to the new locations. Both of these seemed almost impossible a few months ago and now they Update header values with new sizes details and file locations. Should be fairly simple.

Reactions: RedL

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping for a Christmas miracle and having a successful patch for Christmas, but it didn't work out. I was a lot more busy today than I expected.

I am able to back track and write everything I need to. Patching on my machine for a 5GB file takes about 2 minutes. But I have 2 remaining bugs. The file addresses are off by 0x800 which is exactly the size of the Archive Header so I'm trying to figure that out. Second. Despite run time values appearing fine, the footer table ends up being written in the wrong location.

Once those get clear up, I should be able to run some tests and release first patch.

RebootRevival

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bugs are fixed with the patching tool. I got a successful patch with all meta updated. The new archive reads correctly in the CPK Tool and locations are accurate. Will be running some game play tests over the next few days and addressing any issues in game.
To soon. There is one situation in which the tool switches between writing original data, patched data and back to original data. The switch back to original data has a minor issue with positions and offsets. That seems to be the only remaining issues.

As a side note for anyone seeing this and wanting to use the tool. I believe it works as of now from a data view perspective, in limited circumstance. CPK Archives have a variety of headers and directory structures. Shining Resonance makes limited use of those header types and 0 directory structures, so not everything that could be implemented, is. In other words YMMV.
Post automatically merged:

Figured out the issue and got it resolved. Play testing game and found that some of my old patched files are missing or in various states of accuracy. But things are looking good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: