Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD will feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series, as DLC

Living up to all the memes and dreams, Atlus's remaster of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne will indeed be featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series. When the game was first revealed during the Nintendo Direct Mini, Shin Megami Tensei series character Raidou Kuzunoha was shown in place of Dante, presumably because Atlus had lost the rights to use Capcom's character in the 16 years that had passed since SMT III's Maniax and western releases. However, that has been proven to not be true, as Dante will be available in the game through the newly-announced "Maniax Pack" DLC, set to be released at launch for 980 yen. The DLC will allow players to select a special New Game Maniax option, which will replace every appearance of Raidou with Dante, from the Devil May Cry series. Currently, the game is planned for a Japanese launch on October 29th, with a western release slated for sometime in 2021.

:arrow: Source

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Awww, I thought you could have both in the same playthrough but I hear Raidou is a better party member than Dante. I hope they make him at least slightly better than Raidou to justify the $10.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is this DLC? What could possibly justify DLC in a 15 year old HD port?

Welcome to modern video game publishing club. If you don't nickel and dime your customers at every corner, then you must go bankrupt.

I get the feeling this wasn't something they set out to do from the start, and that them charging an additional $15 for it is supposed to cover the licensing fees.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is this DLC? What could possibly justify DLC in a 15 year old HD port?
Because they have to pay to license Dante and the cheaper way is to give Capcom a cut of DLC revenue.

Let's say 10,000 people buy the DLC for $10 each. If they give Capcom 20%, that's only $20,000. But if 200,000 people buy the game for $60, and Capcom gets a 5% cut, that's $600K. Of course in the case of the latter it's more likely they'll pay an outright fee or a very small percentage. But even 1% would still be $120,000. The DLC route they're paying less and they're not out anything if nobody buys the DLC.

My guess is the reason they replaced Dante with Raidou is because licensing Dante got expensive.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: eriol33

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
dante as dlc? bruh....... but fine
dante as replacing a character and not along side that character for epic awesome? just bruh
They most likely wanted to keep the remaster as close to the original as possible and not need to script any additional events just so you can have both Dante and Raidou.

Also, great headline.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1