Hacking Official ShadowNAND

Which path would you like ShadowNAND and SaltFW to have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
They are? but i tried to insert my american New Super Mario Brothers 2 cartridge on my European 2DS before the shadowNAND + SaltFW setup and it showed that nothing was inserted in the slot, now it runs 100% fine
IDK about ShadowNAND changes, NSMB2 isn't region free though.

Tephie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Last edited by Tephie,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are confusing region free and region changed.
Some cartridge are region free like Pokemon. But that is something different from CFW region free which is a patch applied by the CFW. With it you can read CIA and Cart from all region on your zoned console.
Region changed is when you change the zone of your console.

Most CFW have a region free patch allowing you to play a game no matter where it came from.

Last edited by Redferne,

Tephie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You are confusing region free and region changed.
Some cartridge are region free like Pokemon. But that is something different from CFW region free which is a patch applied by the CFW. With it you can read CIA and Cart from all region on your zoned console.
Region changed is when you change the zone of your console.

Most CFW have a region free patch allowing you to play a game no matter where it came from.
I see so SaltFW must have this region-free patch then
but some games work and some doesn't, like i posted there above

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Installed and running Luma no problems it seems :) I renamed the ShadowNAND_Installer.bin to arm9loaderhax.bin, once installed what has become of the arm9loaderhax file? I assume I keep it for booting? thought it would just trigger the installer each time with it there.

Reactions: Shadowhand

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
It is as brickproof as possible. It has similar brick chances as installing regular A9LH.
Nah nah sorry man, I meant that its missing the alt payload in his install, and there's no backup payload he can load now, so, he's limited.

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, is there a tutorial which introduces the installing progress of shadowNAND + Luma? :-)

just curious, havent been online here for weeks :D

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, i already have a9lh + luma, was just curious to get ShadowNAND :-)
Thank you for your link to the ShadowNAND Guide :-)

magusss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, explain me this. If i use shadownand, i will need SD card just to to install cias (it implies boot without SD) ? My saves and games will really be stored on internal memory? I'm having some SD problems here, and need to lower the SD constant reading and need...

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, explain me this. If i use shadownand, i will need SD card just to to install cias (it implies boot without SD) ? My saves and games will really be stored on internal memory? I'm having some SD problems here, and need to lower the SD constant reading and need...
No.
Most savegames would be stored on the game's cartridge. (Some games store it on the SD even with a cartridge)
However if you installed the game as a CIA (or loaded it from the eshop) you obviously dont have a cartridge. In that case it will be stored on the SD Card.
Gamed downlosded from the eshop or indtalled as CIA are saved on the SD Card as well (unique encrypted).
If you remove the SD Card you'll not have access to these. (Or themedata or any extdata).

They can't be stored on the NAND because the NAND would not have enough size to store it.
There are different NAND chips used with different sizes for 3DS systems.
The biggest NAND chip is 1888MB.
In case of a 2DS the actual NAND partition etc requires 942MB (N3DS requires 1238MB - and O3DS only has NAND chips below 1000MB).
This would give you about 900MB space with for a 2DS with the biggest NAND chip (let's call this "best case szenario).
And this would barely be able to hold 1 Game in this "best case szenario".
For comparison a Monster Hunter Game requires 1.5GB.

Not even talking about the accessability changes required to make it work.

This simply installs a small CFW setup onto the NAND so you have the most basic patches.
If you are a pirate this is not useful for you.
It's just nice to have if you forget your SD Card and have game cartridges. Then you can stil play.
Or in the case of the 3DS' SD Card reader breaking or something like that.

TL;DR: Savegames and Games are not stored on your NAND Chip. You still require a SD Card. But you are able to boot without an SD Card and play Cartridge Games.

Last edited by Zan',

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi