Hacking Semi Brick Problems?

renae2469

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have looked everywhere and not sure where to turn so I decided to post. I am a total noob and have a soft modded 4.2u wii. I tried installing the dark wii theme using menuify but after the install it restarted and the system menu comes up for about 2 secs then whines and freezes. So I tried changing back to the 4.2u system menu theme using menuify and it did change it back but it still whines and freezes after 2 secs. One guy in a forum had me put the bootmii file on the root of my sd and when I turned on the wii it took me to custom ios 2.0 and not sure what to do after that. I still have access to hbc and priiloader so another guy had me disable all options in system menu hacks and turn it on but same thing. Not sure where to go from here. I can still play my games through maintenance mode by holding + and - on black screen at startup..in fact that gives access to everything but the message board which I don't need. I just want to get my 4.2u system menu back and I will never do that again. Also, I downloaded the syscheck 2.0.1 but I wasn't sure how to put on my sd card and use it in the wii. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does this mean I semi bricked my wii? Sorry I dont even know if put this in the right place.

EmbraceFiction

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You can boot up PriiLoader;

Then go to the HBC. There you can access Dop-Mii, which is probably your best bet of re-installing the System Menu.

Another option is using BootMii.

renae2469

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had heard that dopmii could fully brick my wii so I haven't tried that yet. How do I use the bootmii option? I have a copy of my nand bootmii and system menu 4.2u. How do I use these or is this the wrong method? If you guys can help me please make sure it is step by step cause as I said I'm very new at this...... Thanks for everything so far!

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes these programs have the ability to brick your wii if you do something careless. If you remove your system menu ios for instance you can brick your wii, if you do that through wad managers you can brick your wii. If you install a system menu and do not have the required ios you can brick your wii. If you change your region and don't know what you are doing you can brick your wii. Wii Mod warns you if you try to do some of these but these apps can't prevent you from bricking your wii, so read and know what you want to do. It sounds like all you need to to is reinstall your system menu. In Wii Mod on the main menu look in the top right where it says "Current IOS" if it isn't 58 then you should goto the IOS Menu and install IOS 58 and reload the program from the homebrew channel. From the main menu click system menu. Select your system menu (in this case 4.2u) and install it.

renae2469

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for your help. Please let me know how to thank you on this site. If I do what you recommend above will I lose priiloader? And why is the bootmii option not working? Did the 4.2u system menu take away the bootmii/boot2 option? Once I do restore the system menu to 4.2u will I have to redo the entire softmod on my wii? If this doesnt work and I completely brick it can it be fixed? I know its alot of questions but I really want to understand the implications of what I'm doing. If I mess it up I'm just going to get another one any way but I'd sure like to save those $. Thanks again.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you will lose priiloader, you can reinstall that after though. No, the 4.2u system menu did not take away the bootmii/boot2 option (that is based on what boot1 version you have which is based on when your wii was made, you can learn more at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Boot1). No, once you restore the system menu to 4.2u you won't have to redo the entire softmod on your wii? If you use Wii Mod and it doesn't work it shouldn't brick your wii, it would more likely fail, give some error number and fail as a whole. If however you unplug your wii or have a power out during the process you will brick your wii if you don't have bootmii installed as boot2(which it sounds like you are unable) or don't have a backup with a hardware infectus chip(which you probably don't).

renae2469

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok I'm definitely going to follow your advice and use wii mod but I have looked everywhere and can not find an installation guide. I downloaded the files and there is a wiimod_v1_7 folder inside. Inside that are two files 'card' containing an apps and a wad file and then there is a src file containing a wiimod file. Can you tell me how to install this or point me to a good guide please? Thanks agian for all your help.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't be installing the program, just running it. But to run it you need to put the app folder on your sd card. The final location should be "SD:\app\wiimod\. Inside the wad folder is the config file for the program but it isn't required to run it's just if you want to tune the running of the program. Once you have that on your sd card, put it in your wii, bring up the homebrew channel and run it.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
EmbraceFiction said:
Flaming is not necessary.

Try to be mature, will you?
sure wasn't that horrible...

at least you should've kept the information in there so that ppl would actually learn and use the correct way to fix theming bricks instead of reinstalling the SM

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lulwut said:
EmbraceFiction said:
Flaming is not necessary.

Try to be mature, will you?
sure wasn't that horrible...

at least you should've kept the information in there so that ppl would actually learn and use the correct way to fix theming bricks instead of reinstalling the SM
I don't know what you said but what would you have suggested for renae2469 to try to fix the broken system menu,? renae2469 had already tried fixing the theme issues with the tool made for changing themes, tried disabling anything in priiloader that might have been doing it and it wasn't very likely a problem with IOSs. Installing SM while a dangerous thing to do if you have a working wii and no reason to change SM. But if your wii is already semi bricked because of a messed up SM, reinstalling the SM while dangerous is worth the risk. So I ask what would you have suggested what would have been the "correct way"?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*