SEGA will be giving Sonic games longer development cycles to hopefully result in better games

sonic-forces.jpg

SEGA of America hosted a special livestream recently, the first Sonic Official stream of this year, where some of their team discussed Sonic-related news. Aaron Webber was there to answer questions from fans in the chat, with one of the most popular ones being why it's been so long since there was a new Sonic game announcement or reveal trailer. Webber's response was that SEGA used to release Sonic titles on a yearly basis, but the company decided that they no longer wanted to rush games out, and made the choice to give each game a longer development cycle. He also says that the team is incredibly excited about what's in store, but they can't say anything more at this time. The last time a mainline 3D console Sonic the Hedgehog game released was Sonic Forces, back in 2017.

:arrow: Source (response is at 14-minute mark)

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that remake.
More nostalgia- after all it's easier to think and reminisence about the old than it is to innovate. Sigh.
In this case I don't mind. Sonic Adventure has some great elements hidden in it, but it's flawed and hasn't aged well, and flawed games are the ones that deserve remakes the most. And if Sega's gonna nostalgia pander, at least they're doing it with the Adventure era, and not shoving Classic Sonic into games again for the hundredth time.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we just like... get a secondary dev team going with the Mania devs and have them producing lower budget 2D Sonic games alongside the 3D ones?
Doesn't even have to be Mania 2 or Classic Sonic or anything, they could try their hands at a 2D Modern game.

But like, give me more Taxman and Stealth damnit.

Shape

Trophies
Website
codenametiger.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh that remake.
More nostalgia- after all it's easier to think and reminisence about the old than it is to innovate. Sigh.
Actually, in my opinion, Sonic Adventure 1 is super dated but a LOT of elements in it would be pretty innovative for speed-based 3d platformers if they were executed properly in a proper remake.

Example: some of the platforming segments had innovative ideas, like quick turns, which were horribly botched from the game's camera setup.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put chao garden on smartphones.
Have christian whitehead produce Sonic 3 & Knuckles with knuckles chaotix with retro engine.
Combine sonic 1 2 CD 3 and Knuckles Chaotix remastered into one package for consoles. (Include online multiplayer)

Put Sonic Pocket Adventure on Switch. :creep:

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor Dreamcast sales didn't help either, and who knows, maybe the console would've moved a lot more units if Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 had been more polished.
Nobody seemed to mind Sonic Adventure 1's polish when it came out in 1999, critics gave it rave reviews, and it was a killer app for the Dreamcast. They could have spent another year on the game and removed every bug, and it wouldn't have changed the public's positive perception at all in 1999 when it's quality would have contributed to the Dreamcast's success (it would only change how we view it now in retrospect). Adventure 2 is plenty polished from a Gameplay perspective, it's just a question of whether you can get behind it's alternate gameplay styles. Not like it mattered anyway since the Dreamcast version of Adventure 2 could have never been a system seller given it's late release. It was only released on it as a last hurrah for the system and for the fans, like how Samurai Showdown 5 Special was for the Neo Geo.

Reactions: Xzi

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know! Let's make things right!
SEGA - 2020
Chances of that happening are 1 in a million
It's funny how all of sega's other studios put so much passion and work into their games and make classics, but the main mascot of the company- Sonic- gets the worst treatment of all. Streets of Rage? gets a 4th game, a good one at that. Hatsune Miku? gets her first outing on switch. Persona? Persona 5, nuff said. Bayonetta? Gets a port to switch and a third game coming up as well. Sonic? A mediocre game (forces) and a remake.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've not played the sonic racing games then as they are on par as any mario kart game :D
... nah dude the official ones are your average everyday party racer. especially all stars racing transformed
SRB2Kart however... i can get behind that. Ever since i've played that game i can't go back to mario kart 8 anymore

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just tell me that Sonic Mania 2 is on the way.
Aint going to happen, Whitehead's working for another company now
It's called "evening star studios"

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.