The Video Game History Foundation has uncovered never before seen Sonic 2 beta content

sonic.png

Out of any video game's development history, Sonic 2's is perhaps one of the most researched and documented of all time. Ranging from meticulously studied beta cartridges, pre-release promotional material, and interviews, fans have spent decades trying to understand every aspect of Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis. Over the years, bits of new information about Sonic 2's development have trickled out, but a new endeavor has seen a ton of never-before-seen content make its way online for fans to enjoy this past week.

The Video Game History Foundation got in touch with two of the former members of Sega Technical Institute, the division of Sega that worked on Sonic 2. Tom Payne and Brenda Cook (née Ross) were both artists who worked on the game, and offered up content to be backed up related to the game's development. Everything provided to The Video Game History Foundation was backed up onto The Internet Archive to be preserved. This includes a demo reel VHS from Cook, which includes a handful of animated frames of a cut desert level, and a screenshot of another cut snow level. Payne's artwork shows art assets that would never make it into the final game, as well as level design chunks and enemies that are only seen or mentioned in beta cartridges for Sonic 2.

The full writeup, as well as a YouTube video going into detail about the preservation are available below, with high-quality backups of all of the documents available to view on The Internet Archive.

:arrow: The Video Game History Foundation Blog
:arrow: The Internet Archive

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't it weird how we will never obssess over cut content for modern games even remotely as much for older games? It meant so much more for older games.

Would anyone care if cut content got revealed for some last gen game? Where as if some cut Pokemon got discovered it would be HUGE

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh okay back on-topic.

Let’s discuss computer games/video games lost rejected piece of media just only related to Sonic the Hedgehog I guess for instance nowadays it’s about time…etc.

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sonic 2 has a special place with me. I was 16 when I got a Genesis for Christmas and finally after over a decade of begging parents to let me have a game console I got one. Sonic 2 came with it. I think it was around the same time that Sonic SatAM was on tv. That entrenched me even more into Sonic. I loved the game. Had a heck of a time beating the second zone Robotnik fight. Absolutely loved Mystic Cave zone.

When remnants of deleted levels were found I was once again enthralled. I lost interest I guess when there wasn't enough information to restore the deleted levels fully. I was really enamoured with the wood zone. When I was 16 I grew up in a place with enchanted old growth forests. So that level would be sort of a portal that merged both love of that place and Sonic 2 together. While there were mods that attempted to "restore" that level, being a purist (I guess), I felt I'd only be satisfied if it was recreated to the original vision as close to exact as possible. Seeing how the zones fit together on the island is so cool. Nice to learn that. It does change Sonic 2 a little for me, but in a good way. Adds depth to the game.

I'm satisfied with the final product of the game, but it is insanely exciting to see as close to restoration as possible of a cut level. I would really love to see and play the best version of the wood zone. I wonder if there is a complete level sketch or layout of it in existence.

Last edited by _Snow_,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a theory of why in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Prototype all Sonic,Tails and Robotnik disappeared mysteriously probably it might be related to real-life event such as Bermuda Triangle they disappeared all like for instance both planes and ships.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The real reason so much content was cut was to get the game out earlier and also to fit it in a smaller cartridge. There was also a lot of fights and misunderstandings due to not everyone speaking English.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a theory of why in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Prototype all Sonic,Tails and Robotnik disappeared mysteriously probably it might be related to real-life event such as Bermuda Triangle they disappeared all like for instance both planes and ships.
Or maybe even Bridgewater Triangle.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...op-genocide-cyber-city-palette-and-art.41661/
Or maybe even Bridgewater Triangle.
It could be as well also for instance Montauk Project,Stargate Project,Bennington Triangle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto