"Pokemon 2000 Adventure", a previously lost Pokemon game, has been preserved by Did You Know Gaming

Screenshot from 2023-09-18 14-07-32.png

Pokemon is one of the most popular franchises to date, and with the popularity, comes a surplus of rumours, gossip, prototypes and leaks that's been a main staple for many fans ever since the franchise's inception way back in the late 90s.

Back when the Pokemania was at an all time high in the 2000s, Nintendo was about to release their latest Pokemon main movie, titled "Pokemon 2000", and to release it in North America, Nintendo contracted Warner Bros. as the main distributor for the movie in the region, all with permission and license to create promotional material for the movie. One of these materials was a 3D game for the franchise now known as "Pokemon 2000 Adventure"

Warner Bros. on its own contract a gaming company at the time known as Cyberworld, who had experience with 3D games for other franchises, and they developed some sort of pseudo-first-person game with a 3D environment with 2D sprites in it, similar to popular games of the 90s like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D, which could be downloaded and ran on a web browser. The game became wildly popular, far exceeding Warner Bros. expectations, and both Nintendo's expectations and contract scope.

To sum the whole ordeal that went through, Did You Know Gaming (DYKG) got in contact with one of Cyberworld's developers, Eddie Ruminski, and he explained the whole situation, detailing that the game had a million downloads in the span of a month, making it Cyberworld's most popular game to date, and Nintendo sent a C&D, with them claiming Warner Bros. breached the contract for the promotional material, effectively killing the project.

The game starts with Prof. Oak claiming there's some problems in the land, and the player should choose between 3 Pokemon teams and a difficulty. Then the player gets to delve and explore the three islands seen in the movie in a 3D environment, with the exploration sometimes being hindered by environmental hazard that your Pokemon team can help you traverse or get past. The main goal of the game is to get each one of the 3 legendary birds' (Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres) Ancient Spheres. Finishing the game also gives the player a ranking at the end, going from Gold, Silver and Bronze. The ranking system, paired alongside the different teams added some replayability to the game, which made it more interesting for Pokemon fans.

Those interested in playing "Pokemon 2000 Adventure" can try it out right now through the archived website for it on Archive.org. Be aware that the game does requires some work and setup to get it working, but the instructions to get it working are fully explained in the Archive.org description for the game. Also, be sure to get the preserved game and spread the word about it around, just in case the game becomes inaccessible yet again due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Thanks to the great work and effort of the people involved in this endeavor, like DYKG, Eddie Ruminski, and developers DoomTay and rufus10, who worked on getting the game working on modern internet setups.

:arrow: Pokemon 2000 Adventure Archive.org Website

TheCodyBurns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a sidenote, I actually had the pleasure of interviewing Eddie (and Neil Marshall) 4 months ago which kickstarted the restoring of the game after all leads had fizzled out!

Eddie actually contacted DYKG after all the devs helped him get it up and running, but its a fascinating story!

For those interested in the initial story

So proud of Eddie for the big DYKG episode tho and happy everyone can enjoy it, now and forever! What a ride. Stay awesome Pokémon fans!

- Cody Burns

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hum... it's a game from 2000, a game over 20 years old... what did you expect?
Srsly? Maybe something like this?

The GUI alone is horrible and ugly. Pokémon Gold & Silver were released in 1999 for the freaking GBC. I wanna see any person who prefers this game over Gold & Silver. And they had a PC to work with. PC > GBC, you know?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The GUI alone is horrible and ugly. Pokémon Gold & Silver were released in 1999 for the freaking GBC. I wanna see any person who prefers this game over Gold & Silver. And they had a PC to work with. PC > GBC, you know?

Tell me you are not serious right now? Please, tell you are not...

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're comparing a promo web game to a AAA release. Lmao.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a sidenote, I actually had the pleasure of interviewing Eddie (and Neil Marshall) 4 months ago which kickstarted the restoring of the game after all leads had fizzled out!

Eddie actually contacted DYKG after all the devs helped him get it up and running, but its a fascinating story!

For those interested in the initial story

So proud of Eddie for the big DYKG episode tho and happy everyone can enjoy it, now and forever! What a ride. Stay awesome Pokémon fans!

- Cody Burns

That's awesome. It's a good time for Pokémon history. I'll be releasing a piece of lost Pokémon media this coming Friday myself.

Last edited by AaronUzumaki,

Alagara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Millenial here, always thankful for First Movie or 2000 The Movie content. Bonus points if it involves relevant for the time pop stars!

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah that's a Remake of the very first Pokémon movie, 2000 was the second one with Lugia and the three Kanto legendary birds.

I did see the remake, it was quite nice but still prefer the original tbh.
It's been so long but brought back memories of when I was a kid and teared up when Ash got turned to stone or "lul Ash is stoned" Still was a good attempt at making it future proof. I can't remember if I've seen the 2000 movie then I'll have to add it to my watch list.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist