"Funko Fusion", a Funko Pop based action-adventure game, has been announced

The Funko Pop figures have been a popular collectible item to many people for quite some years now, with the wide array of characters that the Funko Pops impersonate ranging from any kind of media and pop culture reference. Funkos can go from anything horror related, to even Disney related, and it goes far beyond just movies, also having video game characters in their figures. It was only a matter of time before the whole Funko Pop craze would make an attempt into the digital world.

Today, a new teaser trailer has been released, announcing an upcoming action-adventure video game featuring the iconic Funko figures from a variety of media franchises, with Funko Pop figurines featuring characters from movie franchises like Jurassic World, The Thing, Back to the Future, Shaun of the Dead and even Child's Play, all seen in events and stages from their corresponding movies.

Funko Fusion's synopsis said:
Funko Fusion is an upcoming action-adventure game where players embody their favorite Funko Pop characters and the worlds they originate from. Explore the worlds and play as characters from Back to the Future, Jurassic World, The Thing, Child's Play 2, and more alone in single-player or in 4-player co-op. Battle enemies, explore vast environments, and solve intriguing puzzles in Funko Fusion from former TT Games developers. Funko Fusion is launching in 2024 for PC and consoles.

The game is currently being developed by a new studio based in the United Kingdom, named "10:10 Games", which was co-founded by one of the original founders and developer from Traveler's Tales and TT Games, Jon Burton, and the game is set to release on 2024 for consoles and PC.

:arrow: Funko Fusion Official Website
:arrow: 10:10 Games Website

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is just because they are everywhere. You want to buy a present for someone, no clue what to buy. You know he likes Dragon Ball, go to a store, the first thing you see is this figure, done deal.
I quite like Dragon Ball, but if someone gave me that figure I'd just try to sell it as it's god awful fugly. However, the Funko Shenron is actually pretty decent.

61wdZuJRxOL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

I don't have a single one of these Funko toys, I'd rather have cash instead. :P

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if some FunkPop lawyer was sitting in his office twiddling his thumbs when he suddenly realized the license they own for producing a character's "likeness" could be used in a video game in some loop-hole fashion, and that they had already paid for it, so it was a free way to make a game with a ton of licensed characters.

Edit: God I hate FunkoPops so much, and I feel so sorry for people wasting their money on that crap thinking they are collectible. As if Limited Christmas Barbies didn't teach them anything...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not much to say that hasn't already been said, Funko sucks for any number of reasons. Amiibos are far better figurines, and it's still only worth collecting your favorite characters, not fucking all of them. The majority of the video is clearly cinematics, what they seem to be going for in terms of gameplay is basically Fortnite. Appropriate that a soulless company would rip off another soulless company, I suppose, but I hope it earns zero profit nonetheless.

Reactions: SonyUSA

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not much to say that hasn't already been said, Funko sucks for any number of reasons. Amiibos are far better figurines, and it's still only worth collecting your favorite characters, not fucking all of them. The majority of the video is clearly cinematics, what they seem to be going for in terms of gameplay is basically Fortnite. Appropriate that a soulless company would rip off another soulless company, I suppose, but I hope it earns zero profit nonetheless.

They can just load their 3d designs into Unity/UE and turn on default physics for a quick cash grab

Reactions: Xzi

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I quite like Dragon Ball, but if someone gave me that figure I'd just try to sell it as it's god awful fugly. However, the Funko Shenron is actually pretty decent.

61wdZuJRxOL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

I don't have a single one of these Funko toys, I'd rather have cash instead. :P

My girlfriend offered me a Funko Tyrion Lannister, one of the very first Funkos it's the only one I have. She does regret it as she can't stand them anymore.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only appeal was for those properties which had zero merchandise. some obscure anime from the 00s that no one has heard of before? there's a pop for it.

I'm never sure how you're suppose to distinguish human characters, though.
More of a slap in the face imo.

"Oh you like this series? We know it doesn't get much love, so we made a $20 hunk of unrecognizable plastic for you that cost us 25¢ to produce."

"You're welcome."

kb7cxWMSrPwL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Not surprising, I'm sure they would rather sell digital toys rather than physical.
There are already several competitors in the stylized digital toy game space already, Lego being the biggest; there's blatant copy Blankos Block Party which uses NFTs as it's hook and even Fall Guys which has been somewhat broken since Epic bought it out.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

hybori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wonder who buys these ugly toys, then I see Youtubers with funko pops stacked behind them as if it looks pleasent to look at

Oh and if you buy monthly lootcrates or something similar expect funko pops to be in dumped in too

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jon Burton has made a long career out of making licensed games and making some side-games for established franchises.

He did Sonic 3D Blast & Sonic R, a Mickey game for the Genesis, Toy Story 1 & 2, and then eventually the Lego games which were such a huge hit that I imagine he’s a very wealthy man by now.

So now he left/sold TT and made something called 10:10 Games which I saw him tweet about a year or a few years ago. And I wondered what he’d do with it — here we are now, a Funko Pop game. I’d say it’s pretty logical for Funko Pop to give it to him since he’s the guy who started the legacy of Lego games.

Nonetheless I wouldn’t say he’s ever made a truly great or interesting game. I think his original strength was as a programmer who found brilliant ways to maximize what the hardware was capable of (like some really creative 3D visual tricks in his Genesis games). But by the 2000’s, that specific skills seems to have lost some of its value, and I struggle to imagine him making anything groundbreaking after that; but he somehow got the Lego license and what he did with it was the perfect storm. I mean those games aren’t impressive at all, but they’re such a simple and pleasant co-op romp and they use all our favorite movie franchises with those agreeable Lego visuals.

Anyway, I still play through Toy Story 2 once a year with my friend. A long-running tradition! All pizza planet tokens in a night. So I can’t knock on that game too hard!

Well, those are some random thoughts about Jon Burton. I’m glad to see he landed a somewhat-noteworthy project here, even though I agree with the majority in this thread that Funko Pops have always been an ugly blemish and a blight on any person who looks upon them. I expect this game to perfectly serviceable and solid in terms of glitches/presentation, but not really much fun.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Combining a low-effort design philosophy put in place to make manufacturing easy and to keep simplicity and consistency between all of your products into a game, you kind of create a similar experience to being in a Walmart. And that's not what any game dev should strive to achieve.

Seriously, these things are fucking ugly, they all look the same, and seeing them in motion is the stuff of nightmares.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't really imagine what the game would be about, but if it's another solid couch co-op you can play with the kids then I think that's a good thing.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I legit like this idea.

Seems like I will enjoy it with my SO like we enjoy the LEGO games... in fact, it's by the same people.

Edit: Weird. Before this thread I wasn't aware of this pack mentality that Funkos suck and etc. They are a toy like any other, and there are plenty that are worse.

Post automatically merged:

funko pops are the epitome of soulless corporate merchandise, literally what is the appeal for a video game of them. It's like making a video game based off of sillybands or pogs or something, there's nothing outside of the merchandise that can be enhanced by having it as a game

Hot wheels/matchbox cars? Tons of appeal for a video game, tons of customization
LEGOs? So much room to work with for a game, you can build anything
Gundam? totally! everyone likes cool robots
but funko pops???? what a waste of talent at traveller's tales

this game would probably be better if it was just the actual characters that the Funko pops represent instead of the expressionless vinyl figures of them
It's one of the only, if not the only, brand in the world to serve as an umbrella for heavily adversarial products. It's a platform in which a Marvel vs. DC can take place.

Last edited by MarkDarkness,
Reactions: Thejax

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.