The Video Game History Foundation has uncovered never before seen Sonic 2 beta content

sonic.png

Out of any video game's development history, Sonic 2's is perhaps one of the most researched and documented of all time. Ranging from meticulously studied beta cartridges, pre-release promotional material, and interviews, fans have spent decades trying to understand every aspect of Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis. Over the years, bits of new information about Sonic 2's development have trickled out, but a new endeavor has seen a ton of never-before-seen content make its way online for fans to enjoy this past week.

The Video Game History Foundation got in touch with two of the former members of Sega Technical Institute, the division of Sega that worked on Sonic 2. Tom Payne and Brenda Cook (née Ross) were both artists who worked on the game, and offered up content to be backed up related to the game's development. Everything provided to The Video Game History Foundation was backed up onto The Internet Archive to be preserved. This includes a demo reel VHS from Cook, which includes a handful of animated frames of a cut desert level, and a screenshot of another cut snow level. Payne's artwork shows art assets that would never make it into the final game, as well as level design chunks and enemies that are only seen or mentioned in beta cartridges for Sonic 2.

The full writeup, as well as a YouTube video going into detail about the preservation are available below, with high-quality backups of all of the documents available to view on The Internet Archive.

:arrow: The Video Game History Foundation Blog
:arrow: The Internet Archive

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am fan of both Sonic the Hedgehog and Jazz Jackrabbit. Next time I can't wait for even more reveals of Jazz Jackrabbit 3D.

Reactions: Jonna

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok? Another cut level in a Sonic game, so what?
There's a good chance that Sonic 2's beta history is a catalyst for how people perceive game preservation, or even romhacking. It's one of the oldest documented development cycles in gaming, with beta dumps and forum threads going back to 1998. There's plenty of people still invested in wanting to know as much as possible about this particular game.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There's a good chance that Sonic 2's beta history is a catalyst for how people perceive game preservation, or even romhacking. It's one of the oldest documented development cycles in gaming, with beta dumps and forum threads going back to 1998. There's plenty of people still invested in wanting to know as much as possible about this particular game.

Most of them had a Sega Genesis and played Sonic 2.

And there are hundreds of those

No. there are hundreds of Sonic fangames but not so many about adding back cut content and or fixing it.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5438/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/400/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1048/

Last edited by raxadian,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Indeed. If you watch the video, the founder of the VGHF mentions that he only got involved with gaming preservation with the interest of Sonic 2 BETA content.

It was this and Zelda: Ocarina of Time that got me involved into gaming preservation.
Post automatically merged:

At this point fans could just make a hack to incorporate fan interpretations of those lost levels.
If you watch the video, they already took Tom Payne's artist work on sprites and blueprints for the Cyber City level and recreated it as best they can from a known Sonic fan developer.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I am fan of both Sonic the Hedgehog and Jazz Jackrabbit. Next time I can't wait for even more reveals of Jazz Jackrabbit 3D.
Sadly we won't. The last time someone tried to do something with the leaked Alpha of Jazz 3D was JazzGruff, and he gave up due to the limited assets in the game.

Fun fact, there was going to be voice acting in this game, and in the game sound files you can hear an outtake of someone (maybe Spazz) saying "oh shit" and "aw fuckin shit."

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice! Such a revolutionary game. I'm glad content of Sonic 2 (which is nothing like Sonic 1) has been found.
Imagine the gaming industry without Sonic 2. A true revolution of the 90s and the 16 bit era.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Any chanced of having a full rom (demo or not) online?
If you are talking about the cut zones shown in the video, there isn't one, and that one in the thumbnail it is just a mockup made for Brenda portfolio that didn't get into the game.

Although there is a playable recreation of Genocide Cyber City, but I'm not sure if it is made on top of the original game as a rom hack or if it is just a pc fan game.

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok? Another cut level in a Sonic game, so what?
if it was mario 64 or zelder this guy would be like "o mai gawd thank you jeebus chirst *cries*"

its good to preserve development related documents and early versions of games, i see people saying that the game would have been a lot better with the cut content which i agree but remember that most of these ideas were used in sonic 3

Reactions: Osha, DS1 and Chary

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sadly we won't. The last time someone tried to do something with the leaked Alpha of Jazz 3D was JazzGruff, and he gave up due to the limited assets in the game.

Fun fact, there was going to be voice acting in this game, and in the game sound files you can hear an outtake of someone (maybe Spazz) saying "oh shit" and "aw fuckin shit."
And LEOTCK including Yrex.
if it was mario 64 or zelder this guy would be like "o mai gawd thank you jeebus chirst *cries*"

its good to preserve development related documents and early versions of games, i see people saying that the game would have been a lot better with the cut content which i agree but remember that most of these ideas were used in sonic 3
I guess in Sonic's case it could be Sonic Twist.
Anyway Tails in this thumbnail is looking more feminine which makes him look even cuter and prettier.
I know that Princess Cyberooski/Tiara Boobowski she was planned originally intended to be Sonic the Hedgehog's feline girlfriend,but some people are comparing her to Princess Daisy from Super Mario Land. So probably I would rather put her in Sonic Triple Trouble.

https://www.deviantart.com/pink-lady03/art/Princess-Sally-s-Prototype-Design-421418623
She's so cute so beautiful. They should really consider it as part of redesign rather than rushing up too much Sonic Twist...etc.
For instance nowadays when you are doing research analysis speaking of what if scenarios...etc.

Madonna Garnett she's also very pretty blonde short haired woman.
Tails brown fur reminds me of Sonic Satam TV Cartoon.
uishETz.png

I love the way of how she looks like or should I say the way she looked like. Michael Kosaka and Christian Senn both did great job piece of work as one of former Sega Technical Institute employees. I love her so much the way she looks like. She’s still looking so adorable.
Also early design of Princess Sally Acorn reminds me of fur color of Lori Jackrabbit.

Last edited by Luke94,
  • Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto