Sega pulls plug on Thor PSP. Coming to 3DS Instead.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega has announced that it's cancelled the PSP version of its upcoming Thor game, telling GamerZines that the game "has been removed from the release schedule."

According to the latest schedule sent over by Sega, the game, which was originally due to launch on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, DS and PSP, will now skip Sony's handheld but instead launch on 3DS as well.

The title is currently in development in-house at Sega and due to launch in the UK alongside the movie on April 29th.
Thor sees the legendary hero using his massive hammer to help save Asgard. The Wii and DS versions will, according to Sega, be "uniquely suited" to either platform.

With rumours of a PSP2 inbound, could this be a sign of things to come for Sony's dying handheld?

Edit: Forgot to put source

Source:http://www.gamerzines.com/psp/news/psp-thor-cancelled-sega.html

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
its a game based on the movie. those games SUCK all the time cept' for a few but 99% of them SUCK! this game thank you for leavin the psp! yea pack up and leave go to the 3ds. instead of shittin on the psp you can do that to the 3DS

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, I wonder why they would take it off of the PSP? I imagine it would still sell.

ripandsip said:
its a game based on the movie. those games SUCK all the time cept' for a few but 99% of them SUCK! this game thank you for leavin the psp! yea pack up and leave go to the 3ds. instead of shittin on the psp you can do that to the 3DS
I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. Could you be more of a jealous fanboy?

NatureMade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As OP stated, this could be due to the inevitable rise of the PSP2. It could also have to do with the recent fact that PSP's have become easily hackable. They must figure they'll be able to generate more revenue on a system that has yet to be hacked.

Honestly, I don't see me buying this game regardless of what platform it's on. ripandsip, while biased as his statement may have been, is right. A vast majority of Movie-games tend to just not be all that great.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not getting it!
laugh.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone cares, I've seen trailers of the game version and it looks like yet another shitty movie tie-in. I don't care what system it goes to, I won't play it.

And if anyone goes "HURR HURR THE PSP SUCKS THAT'S WHY IT'S GOING TO THE 3DS INSTEAD", then whoopdido. It's a bad game.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
ripandsip said:

Heh, typical "I didn't want it anyways ;_;" attitude

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
NatureMade said:
As OP stated, this could be due to the inevitable rise of the PSP2. It could also have to do with the recent fact that PSP's have become easily hackable. They must figure they'll be able to generate more revenue on a system that has yet to be hacked.
QUOTE(Sheaperd121 @ Jan 21 2011, 01:03 PM) Sega has announced that it's cancelled the PSP version of its upcoming Thor game, telling GamerZines that the game "has been removed from the release schedule."

According to the latest schedule sent over by Sega, the game, which was originally due to launch on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, DS and PSP, will now skip Sony's handheld but instead launch on 3DS as well.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't High voltage doing this one? I thought their Iron Man 2 wasnt too bad on PSP/Wii it wasnt good it was just...not awful.

Sega haven't really been that great with the Marvel films, I miss the days when Capcom handheld Marvel stuff and we had amazing stuff like The Punisher.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
In my experience most movie game tie-ins are pretty bad, the only exceptions are Goldeneye and... I'll think of something later. But just because it's on 3DS doesn't mean it will automatically become great, it'll be a shame to see the 3DS buried in shovelware the same way the DS was...

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
jackdanielchan said:
In my experience most movie game tie-ins are pretty bad, the only exceptions are Goldeneye and... I'll think of something later. But just because it's on 3DS doesn't mean it will automatically become great, it'll be a shame to see the 3DS buried in shovelware the same way the DS was...

There have been plenty of great movie tie-in games, but most devs don't take a lot of time on their games because they just want a quick cash grab. Heres a few I can think of at the top of my head... I'd post some more when they come to me:

Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay, Peter Jacksons King Kong (NOT the DS version!)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A) Good movie games died with the Sega Genesis/SNES. Alladin, Lion King, the list goes on.

B) I don't get it, why drop it from PSP to release on DS AND 3DS?

C) What I don't get even more is why companies go to SEGA to make the movie based games :/

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure, almost every single game that came out from SEGA sucks. Well anime games will always sell high, even anime that are punlished in the USA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!