Security/Padlocks/house locks don't make you safe!

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Confession: I knew how to pick locks. These only extend to cheap ass "master" padlocks - you know the ones with the cheap flimsy key? Not too hard, as raking them usually works.

So I was on the internet, looking for cheap ways to bypass a combination padlock, and came around a way to make a padlock shim with the metal from a can. Not too shabby, as I knew what padlock shims were. (They are pieces of metal that you force close to the shackle, and use a tab with release the spring loaded bolt that holds your lock shut.) I make a couple, and now I can wait to try them at home - I think I'd buy a couple of cheap combo locks to try them on campus! (I have a padlock shackled to my desk, and I've forgotten the combination.)

And, I came across something called lock bumping. Same idea as raking, only you bounce the pins with a specially made key, and at the precise moment they let you open the cylinder, you turn, and it catches, and you can easily make the key needed by hand. (If you have a blank/a key that fits.)

The scarey part? Looking at all the locks in dorms/residence, the locks are all of the easily bumped Kwikset brand. My house key also tells me that it's from the Kwikset family as well. (3 distinctive triangles on the top.) Fortunately, the dorms also have a harder to bump Medeco keylock in place - basically, putting more pins in the keyhole at different profile sections, making it impossible to bump without damaging the lock traditionally.

So, why aren't all crooks using a "bump key" to get into your house? It takes skill to learn how to use it, and requires special tools. (The key must fit into the target lock, and that means matching up your keys and stuff.) Apartment complexes will probably be more vulnerable - one key fits into all doors, and it makes noise if you are trying to bump it multiple times. Interestingly, the bump keys themselves aren't illegal in Canada (the popo just need to prove intent), but some states only allow you to carry them if you have a locksmith's license. But still, scary stuff!

Ideas not to be vulnerable to it:
- don't lose your house keys
- don't flaunt money/goods eg. plasma screen televisions/other stuff
- don't rely on one method of security (My house has an alarm and bars on the lower windows - pretty good deterrent because the crooks look for easier ways into the house.)
- destroy your house keys

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
You are a dangerous person...
ninja.gif

By any chance do you think you can pick the lock at Costello's house? Many tempers would be grateful.
smileipb2.png

D

Deleted_171835

A bump key, eh. I have a feeling that this will be useful for several occasions...
ph34r.gif
(no, not what you think)

I have three locks on my door. A deadbolt fingerprint lock by Black&Decker and two manual locks that operate from the inside of the place. Only if the fingerprint reader was able to check whether the user of the finger had a pulse. That would prevent people from cutting off people's fingers.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Reading this will just make me more paranoid. Thankfully there isn't much in the way of robberies where I live.

I always wondered how easy it would be to operate a lockpick gun, the electric type ones, not the manual gun ones.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Revolutionize said:
A bump key, eh. I have a feeling that this will be useful for several occasions...
ph34r.gif
(no, not what you think)

I have three locks on my door. A deadbolt fingerprint lock by Black&Decker and two manual locks that operate from the inside of the place. Only if the fingerprint reader was able to check whether the user of the finger had a pulse. That would prevent people from cutting off people's fingers.

Personally, I'm tempted to make one for the dorm locks - just so I can be all rescue like when my roommates lose their keys. It costs a shit tonne of money to deal with the lost keys in the dorms, and just looking at it makes me tempted to say if my roommate locks another one out of a double room, I can rescue the one who doesn't have the key with a bump key. Also, there are ways to fool fingerprint readers (eg. gelatin moulds of fingers + electrical impulses through it) So, yeah, don't trust your locks and stuff.

I might go and try to duplicate a key now. (Oh yeah, don't bump active locks because they might be damaged, and you might have a lock failure.)

Posts merged

QUOTE(Edhel @ Dec 12 2009, 10:13 AM) Reading this will just make me more paranoid. Thankfully there isn't much in the way of robberies where I live.

I always wondered how easy it would be to operate a lockpick gun, the electric type ones, not the manual gun ones.

There's a manual out there for converting an electric toothbrush to a lockpick gun. Simple, and easy, apparently. I dunno. I never trusted any locking system for more than I can throw it.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
A lock is only good at keeping out honest thieves.
If you've got enough will/skill, there's always a way in.
Yeah, if the thief REALLY wanted to get in, he could just smash a window and get in that way. The door isn't the only way thieves can get in....
rolleyes.gif

D

Deleted_171835

david432111 said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:
A lock is only good at keeping out honest thieves.
If you've got enough will/skill, there's always a way in.
Yeah, if the thief REALLY wanted to get in, he could just smash a window and get in that way. The door isn't the only way thieves can get in....
rolleyes.gif
Metal Bars on the window?
wink.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well no matter what lock you have, your never 100% safe, but lets put it this way:

A crook tries to find the easiest way all the time, the only thing you could do is make his/her life harder, and thus hopefully leading them to just give up.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Maz7006 said:
Well no matter what lock you have, your never 100% safe, but lets put it this way:

A crook tries to find the easiest way all the time, the only thing you could do is make his/her life harder, and thus hopefully leading them to just give up.

Yes, exactly. There are many ways to bypass security things like locks and things. All you can hope for to is make the risk of getting caught larger for the thief than the potential payoff inside.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Revolutionize said:
Metal Bars on the window?
wink.gif

Basic thermite that will take down said bars is powdered rust, aluminium powder and a trigger (usually a strip of magnesium but a blowtorch can do in a pinch).

Back on topic for me at least lock bumping is the classic example of security by obscurity being useless; the method has been known for decades to people on both sides of the fence yet many locksmiths tried to shut it up for years.

If you like that sort of thing then can I suggest:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/

Also http://revision3.com/scamschool/episodes occasionally has things like this.

@Maz7006 I find the phrase to be of use "stopping them getting in is nigh on impossible, stopping them leaving with valuable stuff less so".

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the shim made from a metal can trick before
didnt work for crap as they updated the locks again and left much less room for the shim to slide in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1