• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

2022 US Recession. What are people noticing on the ground?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite the considerable efforts of propaganda departments trying to either polish the proverbial turd* (there are always elections coming up, in this case sooner and more pivotal than most and the economy is fairly key in winning those) or not create a self reinforcing narrative (if they run out saying the sky is falling then it will snowball that much faster/harder where those in blissful ignorance... yeah -- you owe it to yourself to watch what way the wind is really blowing and plan your moves accordingly) there are very few that can deny we are in an economic recession these days even if we ignore the generally held definition of two quarters of negative growth in GDP (which the US has seen, and GDP also includes government spending which is dubious to include). GDP is also GDP, inflation (much less the real inflation http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts ) would also have to be accounted for in this and that does not make things better.
Whether reckless money printing, limited resources (generally or artificial courtesy of supply chains), cheap debt (granted that is also money printing), housing crash (granted that is combo of cheap debt and lack of supply), natural disasters, the plague the other year, oversupply of resources (the snap back was mistaken for continuous growth), rise of automation or something else we could unpack but for this I am more interested in the effects.

*the "there are job openings" narrative is largely silly as employment has not yet recovered 2019 levels (normally we don't look that far back and instead do year on year and quarter on quarter but if "stay in your home citizen" was the order of the day then it makes sense to go back. https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/employment-rate ) and most of that was in hospitality (hotels, restaurants and such like), which is on the way back down right now by most metrics (again compared to 2019) you care to ponder with a minor mask for price bumps (businesses and super rich will pay pretty much whatever you ask). It would also be noted many claiming not a recession are also those that claimed inflation would never happen and when that became impossible to ignore then just a small passing fad.

So then have you seen shops with inventory in containers in the car park, have you seen shops locking up not even their valuable goods, bare shelves (another type of anti theft in some cases -- lose 4 packs and you have lost 4 packs, lose 12 and that is worse), has inflation been rather hard, are you seeing masses of motivated sellers in housing/cars/luxury items (to say nothing of banks being rather lenient these days if you have fell behind to attempt to stall out foreclosures which benefit very few, even more so in the US with the jinglemail/ability to walk away), do you work in a shop and find yourself repricing things more than normal and with greater bumps, those with credit card debt rising, even big tech companies are hiring freeze at best and letting people go in far from uncommon so is the job market around you not as rosy as some claim**? More generally it is noted various indexes beyond simple consumer price index are far from healthy -- wholesale price indexes are rather up, industrial orders are down (aka nobody is building new factories/spinning up new lines of things), new housing permits have fallen off a cliff somewhat, rich people appear to be shopping in cheaper shops***, phone companies note people are pushing the bill out a bit where they can, supply in the housing market is rather higher (homes going for longer, exceeding asking price is a different matter entirely where a year or so back it was the norm, layoffs are huge in the house selling business right now), city/state budgets are rather cash strapped even compared to years ago when it was not good (most US cities are all but destined to go bankrupt/need a bailout), new and continuing jobless claims are also not painting a rosy picture of the world.

**the job openings lot also seem to be carefully ignoring that the job losses are a so called lagging indicator in that it is something used to bolster a claim in retrospect after the numbers are in rather than something you do in real time (though real time data is not good either).

***recessions tend to work from the bottom of the pile on up. That is to say the poorest get hit first, then working class, then lower middle class, upper middle class, rich and oh shit the 1% is too big to fail better bail them out.

If you are not in the US feel free to share what might be going on around you too -- as the US goes so does the rest of the world (there are downsides to having your world reserve currency take a knock, not that most other places are paragons of financial good sense). In my case my bank (major world player bank) cancelled my overdraft (not that I ever use it), have closed any number of branches (reduced hours and robots in most others) and instituted a bunch of fees way out of line with anything they previously had in there presumably as protection against those unfunded liabilities (if I used my overdraft and did not have to pay to get a new card when I lost one then that would be money they have to account for, if it is not a possibility then they have more funds available to do things with).

Reactions: Creamu

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a real simple avg Joe on the ground observation, I'm noticing I have to hit up the grocery less if I care about my wallet.

My bank has also closed my local branch and reduced hours elsewhere

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually striking while the market is in freefall and trying to get a house at the moment. Primarily because the covid era of city folk buying out rural houses is long over and houses are not moving nearly as fast as they once were. In fact aside from seeing a general lower than expected price on some houses now some homes that have been on the market for more than 30-60 days and were already on the lower end price wise are seeing even bigger cutdowns in price as much as 10k to 20k+ off some properties. That makes things hopeful considering that on the other end of things my apartment lease is going to try and jack up rent by 300-500 more a month now. This just makes the time for moving out and getting a home all the more desired.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Despite the considerable efforts of propaganda departments trying to either polish the proverbial turd* (there are always elections coming up, in this case sooner and more pivotal than most and the economy is fairly key in winning those) or not create a self reinforcing narrative (if they run out saying the sky is falling then it will snowball that much faster/harder where those in blissful ignorance... *the "there are job openings" narrative is largely silly as employment has not yet recovered 2019 levels (normally we don't look that far back and instead do year on year and quarter on quarter but if "stay in your home citizen" was the order of the day then it makes sense to go back. https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/employment-rate ) and most of that was in hospitality (hotels, restaurants and such like), which is on the way back down right now by most metrics (again compared to 2019) you care to ponder with a minor mask for price bumps (businesses and super rich will pay pretty much whatever you ask). It would also be noted many claiming not a recession are also those that claimed inflation would never happen and when that became impossible to ignore then just a small passing fad. yeah -- you owe it to yourself to watch what way the wind is really blowing and plan your moves accordingly) there are very few that can deny we are in an economic recession these days even if we ignore the generally held definition of two quarters of negative growth in GDP (which the US has seen, and GDP also includes government spending which is dubious to include). GDP is also GDP, inflation (much less the real inflation http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts ) would also have to be accounted for in this and that does not make things better.
Whether reckless money printing, limited resources (generally or artificial courtesy of supply chains), cheap debt (granted that is also money printing), housing crash (granted that is combo of cheap debt and lack of supply), natural disasters, the plague the other year, oversupply of resources (the snap back was mistaken for continuous growth), rise of automation or something else we could unpack but for this I am more interested in the effects.
https://vocaroo.com/12ktSffXCov1
So then have you seen shops with inventory in containers in the car park, have you seen shops locking up not even their valuable goods, bare shelves (another type of anti theft in some cases -- lose 4 packs and you have lost 4 packs, lose 12 and that is worse), has inflation been rather hard, are you seeing masses of motivated sellers in housing/cars/luxury items (to say nothing of banks being rather lenient these days if you have fell behind to attempt to stall out foreclosures which benefit very few, even more so in the US with the jinglemail/ability to walk away), do you work in a shop and find yourself repricing things more than normal and with greater bumps, those with credit card debt rising, even big tech companies are hiring freeze at best and letting people go in far from uncommon so is the job market around you not as rosy as some claim**? **the job openings lot also seem to be carefully ignoring that the job losses are a so called lagging indicator in that it is something used to bolster a claim in retrospect after the numbers are in rather than something you do in real time (though real time data is not good either). More generally it is noted various indexes beyond simple consumer price index are far from healthy -- wholesale price indexes are rather up, industrial orders are down (aka nobody is building new factories/spinning up new lines of things), new housing permits have fallen off a cliff somewhat, rich people appear to be shopping in cheaper shops***, phone companies note people are pushing the bill out a bit where they can, supply in the housing market is rather higher (homes going for longer, exceeding asking price is a different matter entirely where a year or so back it was the norm, layoffs are huge in the house selling business right now), city/state budgets are rather cash strapped even compared to years ago when it was not good (most US cities are all but destined to go bankrupt/need a bailout), new and continuing jobless claims are also not painting a rosy picture of the world.
https://vocaroo.com/16wXSowjkUHf
***recessions tend to work from the bottom of the pile on up. That is to say the poorest get hit first, then working class, then lower middle class, upper middle class, rich and oh shit the 1% is too big to fail better bail them out.

If you are not in the US feel free to share what might be going on around you too -- as the US goes so does the rest of the world (there are downsides to having your world reserve currency take a knock, not that most other places are paragons of financial good sense). In my case my bank (major world player bank) cancelled my overdraft (not that I ever use it), have closed any number of branches (reduced hours and robots in most others) and instituted a bunch of fees way out of line with anything they previously had in there presumably as protection against those unfunded liabilities (if I used my overdraft and did not have to pay to get a new card when I lost one then that would be money they have to account for, if it is not a possibility then they have more funds available to do things with).
https://vocaroo.com/1jiiaubfDxrz

Thank you for creating this thread.

When do you think will we see the great fall? Some say it will be in october, is this your impression as well?

Would you recommend filling the freezer with meat?

Is a war an attractive option for the weird nerds in power that would have a legitimacy crisis if things grew really ugly?

Thank you very much.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed the prices of everything from gas to food and rent are all skyrocketing due to corporate greed. It's the root of most of these problems.
Is it corporate greed? Barring a few blessed industries (usually those dealing with rich and corporates) then most profit margins I see out there right now and price raises are at or under what inflation and manufacturer price indexes might dictate. Food also has other troubles from fertiliser (which is a few select wartorn areas for much of it, what little remains then being spread thinner/costing more), bad years in many places (which leads to lower exports/net imports which also mean prices inside the US go up) and increased shipping costs.

If I was going to look at anything then the US printed a fuck load of money in the last few years ( http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/money-supply-charts ), which to many is the classical definition of inflation rather than CPI but different discussion, and that is now winding its way through the economy as it takes a bit of time to truly show (not to mention they have not truly started selling yet as much as not buying).

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed the prices of everything from gas to food and rent are all skyrocketing due to corporate greed. It's the root of most of these problems.
So you are saying that every corporation, mom and pop shop and landlord are all price gouging in unison?

You do know that the only entity that has any control over inflation is the federal government and the central bank, right? Corporations do not control monetary policy. Mom and pop shops do not control monetary policy. And for sure, your landlord does not control monetary policy.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gassed up yesterday at $3.41, which isn't terrible all things considered. Apart from the cost of some food and some oddly specific school supplies, I haven't noticed anything too crazy recently, but it has been all over the place since COVID started. Notably, the cost of some basics (like bread) has pushed me to actually start baking my own again, so there's that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Getting increased reports of banks silently lowering credit limits, preventing large withdrawals (usually a prelude to expecting a run on the bank), staggering deposits (put 25000 in and you might get 5500 or something that day and it going up day by day until the full amount is reached as opposed to whatever half hour lag for the sake of a computer), stopping services normally considered essential/basic like cashiers notes, the overnight repo market (short term loans companies and banks give each other if they need some short term cash) is basically a farce at this point and is going round and round and round, repo in the sense people normally mean it (as in repossession) are going up as well, car prices might be heading down (bad thing if you massively overpaid and get it taken back because you lose your job), hiring freezes and firings from companies big and small in proper roles (it is not 5000 21 year old baristas but heads of household type deals with serious wages).

Anyone had anything interesting on those fronts?

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So-called wealth created out of nothing, money is just printed paper with nothing backing it, your wage today can only buy less and less

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rent should go down, im kinda expecting a housing crash sooner or later then housing should be cheap af
Landlords are wary now of renting their houses/apartments to tenants in fear they may not pay each month and even physically steal items when they decide to leave.

They need to make money and tenants need a place to live.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...