Scene dev Zecoxao teases new $3 modchip for the OLED Nintendo Switch, involves a Raspberry Pi

asddasdsa.png

Scene developer Zecoxao might be known for their contributions to the PlayStation hacking world, but this time around, they've got something major for the Nintendo scene. The longtime scener teased the existence of what they claim to be a $3 modchip for the Nintendo Switch, and which is said to work with Mariko and OLED systems, though not patched Erista consoles. A teaser video was also uploaded, where the modchip itself was revealed to be a Raspberry Pi--specifically, a RP2040 Zero unit, soldered into the Switch board, demonstrating Hekate launching on an OLED unit.

Given the tease of "coming soon", we can expect to see more details about the exploit eventually.

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602079473628856320

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602199810358083587

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
but if you just want free games… there are methods that don’t involve piracy.
Yep, but we're all not into shoplifting or want to leave the house when it's raining to go to a shop to buy a game that might be crap. I've always been a pirate and always will be, probably 90+% of the games I've downloaded will never be played, or have been tried and found to be crap and I've been relieved I never spent money on them. To be fair though, some of the good games that I have enjoyed, I have bought them afterwards so I can play them in the future.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, but we're all not into shoplifting or want to leave the house when it's raining to go to a shop to buy a game that might be crap. I've always been a pirate and always will be, probably 90+% of the games I've downloaded will never be played, or have been tried and found to be crap and I've been relieved I never spent money on them. To be fair though, some of the good games that I have enjoyed, I have bought them afterwards so I can play them in the future.

I too am a real pirate, I will never pay. It’s my principal, nothing will break my integrity.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let the "games" begin as Ninty goes on a crusade to execute its mass DMCA takedown agenda while sending cease and desist letters 🙄😒.
Post automatically merged:

I too am a real pirate, I will never pay. It’s my principal, nothing will break my integrity.
You said that like a real noble man. How honorable 😅😆😂

cai_miao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Took some time to read through the whole post.
I would just say, let it out, casts those TX shit and clones into void...

Abusing ppls will end up attempting making money on this trinket, regardless it got leaked today or not.
But we could possibly take some sort of measures to shrink down the total amount one abusing group could make...

but yeah ppl behind this should be safe after all. if he feels uncomfort, just don't do it.

Reactions: RexSonic

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I did this most recently with cyberpunk.

Took some time to read through the whole post.
I would just say, let it out, casts those TX shit and clones into void...

Abusing ppls will end up attempting making money on this trinket, regardless it got leaked today or not.
But we could possibly take some sort of measures to shrink down the total amount one abusing group could make...

but yeah ppl behind this should be safe after all. if he feels uncomfort, just don't do it.
It's called open sourcing. If the dev decides to release

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I did this most recently with cyberpunk.
I also did this for The Last of US, Crash Bandicoot games, All the Uncharted games, killzone and quite a few others. If I play a game and like it - I'll buy it, but if I play it and it's crap I am just relieved I didn't waste my money. Sniper Elite games are worth the money, same for Sniper ghost warrior contracts 1+2, I've played these loads of times and it's rare I play more than once, but those were definately worth splurging some cash for, I hope they make more in the future.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So GBATemp had real news, but not only buried it, but falsified it in order to do so? How scandalous!

Finally good to have good HB news.

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe we are speaking with one voice. Since I can earn money by myself, I always try my best to buy a new console/handheld machine at day 1 (from PS Vita generation to now) and always pirating games on those machine. Pirating not only allow me to test the game first, but also help me to make decisions if I would like to buy a physic copy of that game. With every games that I enjoy, I always buy a physic copy of that (if not available, I buy digital version instead). It helps me saving tons of money than wasting money into garbage games.

Reactions: mrdude

musashiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so the modchip itself is cheap. I can get it for around $4.6. If they do release the files needed to set it up, that will make all the other expensive modchips obsolete.

I still want to know how it's soldered tho. If it doesn't go to the CPU, I think it will be "safer". OR maybe we can have adapters for the chip that connects directly to the switch? i really hope the installation is more accessible and less risky this time but only time will tell.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so the modchip itself is cheap. I can get it for around $4.6. If they do release the files needed to set it up, that will make all the other expensive modchips obsolete.

I still want to know how it's soldered tho. If it doesn't go to the CPU, I think it will be "safer". OR maybe we can have adapters for the chip that connects directly to the switch? i really hope the installation is more accessible and less risky this time but only time will tell.

There are images around if you wanna go digging enough

musashiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There are images around if you wanna go digging enough
from what I've seen, no micro-soldering is needed but I am not comfortable soldering so I am not sure I can install it on my own—nevertheless, still good progress for the scene. I am crossing my fingers for an easy install kit, but I won't hold my breath.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I've seen, no micro-soldering is needed but I am not comfortable soldering so I am not sure I can install it on my own—nevertheless, still good progress for the scene. I am crossing my fingers for an easy install kit, but I won't hold my breath.
No, everything's still the same, you need to solder the same points on switch motherboard (CMD/CLK/DAT0/RST and sp1/sp2 on SoC ribbon cable).

Btw, sp1/sp2 are much easier to solder than dat0 and clk on oled.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not shoplifting, but simply taking advantage of peoples impatience can double your gaming budget annually, without going in depth here a ton of people don’t claim manufacturers warranty on their gaming devices and accessories. But yea I used to have binders and binders of games back in the PS2 era, now I just simply limit myself to a few games a year, wait for reviews, and make decisions based on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LZ_NvaV5HGE?si=p4H94YGObqOeX23X this brought me joy +2