Nintendo says it currently has no plans to release any other Switch revisions beyond the OLED model

oled_model_photo_01.0.jpg

With Bloomberg having spent years reporting on the existence of an upgraded Nintendo Switch unit, and for all those rumors to culminate in the Nintendo Switch OLED model, some fans have been disappointed with all Nintendo has to offer. Beyond that, others believe that the fabled "Switch Pro" still exists, but has been delayed due to a shortage of materials, with some outlets still speculating that the information leak of "4K output" for a new Switch variant means there will be an inevitable Switch Pro somewhere down the line. Nintendo themselves have stepped in to right the rumors and say, definitively, that they have "no plans for launching any other model [of the Nintendo Switch] at this time".

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think it is likely that they are working on a more powerful handheld tablet, whether it'd be a Switch Pro or a successor to the Switch. It feel to me like the OLED version is more a refresh akin to the DS to DS Lite or 3DS to 3DS XL.
It's possible that the OLED version is also for them to get a headstart in manufacturing certain parts (like the OLED screen) to maybe be used on a potential Pro/successor in the later future. Especially considering the whole parts shortage that's been happening worldwide for quite a while now.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Honestly, I think it is likely that they are working on a more powerful handheld tablet, whether it'd be a Switch Pro or a successor to the Switch. It feel to me like the OLED version is more a refresh akin to the DS to DS Lite or 3DS to 3DS XL.
It's possible that the OLED version is also for them to get a headstart in manufacturing certain parts (like the OLED screen) to maybe be used on a potential Pro/successor in the later future. Especially considering the whole parts shortage that's been happening worldwide for quite a while now.
afaik the reports said Samsung wanted to get ride of 7 inch oleds that they had mass produced and had no where to put them and Nintendo did the order with them, so its not liek they are producing or made any request themselves, they just took Samsung leftovers.

Reactions: Ryccardo and Xzi

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik the reports said Samsung wanted to get ride of 7 inch oleds that they had mass produced and had no where to put them and Nintendo did the order with them, so its not liek they are producing or made any request themselves, they just took Samsung leftovers.
Hehe, kinda like how Nintendo took NVIDIA's leftovers with the Tegra X1 chipset. :tpi:

Reactions: Xzi

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hehe, kinda like how Nintendo took NVIDIA's leftovers with the Tegra X1 chipset. :tpi:
that is basicaly ninty method of doing things, they get technology they know it works and was already used, make afew modifications and thats it, they dont like to reinvent the well on cpu/gpus or being themselves the test subjects of new technology. they put nintendo spin on it and print money xD.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Watch next week they announce 3 kinds of Switch "pro" or something, eh
lets be honest here nintendo switch is at 90 million units sold almost, and that is without the oled model sales, does nintendo really need a pro? are they trying to reach 150 millions with this console? they want to dethrone the ds and ps2?

i think in 2023 we will get a switch 2 and not a pro, they already sold well enough that they dont need to make a pro version to keep the switch going, since the switch never really stopped.

Sure if their plans are going to be for like 8 years lifespan then by all means they can release a pro model at the end of 2022.

preferably they can release the pro model with oled and lcd version.

Last edited by pedro702,

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is basicaly ninty method of doing things, they get technology they know it works and was already used, make afew modifications and thats it, they dont like to reinvent the well on cpu/gpus or being themselves the test subjects of new technology. they put nintendo spin on it and print money xD.
I mean, Nintendo did experiment with power on certain things like the N64 and Gamecube and despite them being great consoles didn't sell as big as the PS1 and PS2. Different eras of Nintendo, I suppose (with a lot of stuff behind the scenes). They are a smaller company than Sony and Microsoft, so they're doing their own way which is also why they aren't really competing in the "console wars" since, well, the Wii days.
lets be honest here nintendo switch is at 90 million units sold almost, and that is without the oled model sales, does nintendo really need a pro? are they trying to reach 150 millions with this console? they want to dethrone the ds and ps2?

i think in 2023 we will get a switch 2 and not a pro, they already sold well enough that they dont need to make a pro version to keep the switch going, since the switch never really stopped.

Sure if their plans are going to be for like 8 years lifespan then by all means they can release a pro model at the end of 2022.

preferably they can release the pro model with oled and lcd version.
It's been more than 4 years since it first came out and more games want stronger hardware these days. It's getting rougher for the Switch to handle as games get bigger and more complex in this current generation. I love my Switch a lot and I use it almost every day, but it is very noticeable how its specs holds back on getting bigger third-party titles on to the system. Sure, we've got some very impressive ports like DOOM, Wolfenstein, The Witcher 3, etc., but there's definitely some limit to how far they can go in porting bigger games.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I mean, Nintendo did experiment with power on certain things like the N64 and Gamecube and despite them being great consoles didn't sell as big as the PS1 and PS2. Different eras of Nintendo, I suppose (with a lot of stuff behind the scenes). They are a smaller company than Sony and Microsoft, so they're doing their own way which is also why they aren't really competing in the "console wars" since, well, the Wii days.

It's been more than 4 years since it first came out and more games want stronger hardware these days. It's getting rougher for the Switch to handle as games get bigger and more complex in this current generation. I love my Switch a lot and I use it almost every day, but it is very noticeable how its specs holds back on getting bigger third-party titles on to the system. Sure, we've got some very impressive ports like DOOM, Wolfenstein, The Witcher 3, etc., but there's definitely some limit to how far they can go in porting bigger games.
but the jump to get bigger games running would need to be something more than a pro model, you really need a switch 2, becuase pro model like ps4 pro and xbox one x arent made to get exclsuive games but to run the base games better, and what you want is to make games not possible on switch to be switch pro exclusive, and that wouldnt work very well and alot of fans would be pissed imo.

nintendo could unlock more switch power if they want, in this new mariko and up chipset the switch uses really low power and heat, so theey could unlock the cpu and gpu to be bigger values in the fw if they wanted it, like modders show that the switch can handle just fine with 50% more cpu power and gpu, they could make the switch get a 50% power boost by sacrificing battery life easily on the old models and newer models would only loose abit of battery really.

its all on their hands, a system update can turn a regular switch into a switch pro.

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the jump to get bigger games running would need to be something more than a pro model, you really need a switch 2, becuase pro model like ps4 pro and xbox one x arent made to get exclsuive games but to run the base games better, and what you want is to make games not possible on switch to be switch pro exclusive, and that wouldnt work very well and alot of fans would be pissed imo.

nintendo could unlock more switch power if they want, in this new mariko and up chipset the switch uses really low power and heat, so theey could unlock the cpu and gpu to be bigger values in the fw if they wanted it, like modders show that the switch can handle just fine with 50% more cpu power and gpu, they could make the switch get a 50% power boost by sacrificing battery life easily on the old models and newer models would only loose abit of battery really.

its all on their hands, a system update can turn a regular switch into a switch pro.
Eh, I think you're overestimating how much power the chipsets can give out, but whatever. I don't exactly know any of the actual technical knowhows of the Tegra X1 chipsets, but I think it wouldn't be that big a jump in power to make it become a "Switch Pro" with just higher clock speeds. Plus, there's stability in mind with those higher clocks, so there's just a lot of stuff to work around to make it actually work especially in a small form factor tablet where heat can easily generate.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why in the world would they reveal that they're about to release a Switch Pro anytime soon (if they are) while they are just releasing another model with old hardware? No one would buy the OLED model in that case. So obviously they have "no plans" currently.

Reactions: Xzi and Jokiz

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why in the world would they reveal that they're about to release a Switch Pro anytime soon (if they are) while they are just releasing another model with old hardware? No one would buy the OLED model in that case. So obviously they have "no plans" currently.
I don't think anyone said they would reveal it "soon". Perhaps much later down the line like another year or two or more.
We know that Nintendo has a history of saying they have "no plans" for a revised console and then later on in the near future they'd release a revised console. It's why some people still believe that Nintendo does have plans (for a potential Switch Pro), but they just aren't going to reveal it any time soon.

Reactions: lordelan
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, like, with "pro" meant a switch 2 or something like that.
Am saying this since all these videogame companies are a buncha liars, they just say whatever's works best for them.
Iirc ninty lied many times before when it came to consoles revisions or what, and not just for that.
Right here, they be saying "no other switch revisions coming" or what, but who's to say they just ain't be lying to make people buy whatever switch model it out there now, rake up on the cash, and in like a month they reveal "Switch 2" or something?

Never believe what a company tells you. It's always lies.

Ajlr

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Also they said there are no plans for more Zelda ports/remakes/remasters this or next year other than Skyward Sword HD, BOTW 2, and Zelda G&W. Yeah I know Nintendo is deceiving us in terms of big announcements.

Reactions: Friendsxix

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Bold move admitting this when Valve is getting praise for a competing handheld.
Yes, I announced a better version of my older console. I think it would be a great idea to announce an even better one right now.
I'm surre it's gonna be okay and the older console will still sell like crazy....

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Not surprised, The Switch is getting old. The new model will keep the Switch going for at least another 2 years probably.
By that time I guess it's about time that Nintendo will announce their next generation console (Which may or may not also be a hybrid)

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
By that time I guess it's about time that Nintendo will announce their next generation console (Which may or may not also be a hybrid)
Honestly, with their sales numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does release a "Pro" model (which is just X1 at full clock speed) in two years. Coast for two more years after that, then finally announce Switch 2 when the hardware is so cheap they can still make a profit with a low price point.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, with their sales numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does release a "Pro" model (which is just X1 at full clock speed) in two years. Coast for two more years after that, then finally announce Switch 2 when the hardware is so cheap they can still make a profit with a low price point.

Maybe, but I don't think they will. At least not if they have something new and better that will ramp up their sales even more.
but we'll see. I sort of hope that they will make another hybrid using a newer Tegra chip that is a worthwhile upgrade and still backwards compatible with the Tegra X1 chip.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but I don't think they will. At least not if they have something new and better that will ramp up their sales even more.
but we'll see. I sort of hope that they will make another hybrid using a newer Tegra chip that is a worthwhile upgrade and still backwards compatible with the Tegra X1 chip.
Well there is Tegra X2, but I don't think it's the right form factor, it's mostly used in cars. It also doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over X1. So unless Nvidia announces something soon, there's no way it's gonna be cheap enough to put in a console that costs $350 or less in two years. Unless Nintendo wants to take a loss on each unit, but I very much doubt they will.

Going back to home consoles is an interesting prospect, but I think the only way people would be cool with that is if the console had a very appealing and unique hook/gimmick. And even then they'd want a decent amount of power in it as well.

Last edited by Xzi,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Well there is Tegra X2, but I don't think it's the right form factor, it's mostly used in cars. It also doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over X1. So unless Nvidia announces something soon, there's no way it's gonna be cheap enough to put in a console that costs $350 or less in two years. Unless Nintendo wants to take a loss on each unit, but I very much doubt they will.

Going back to home consoles is an interesting prospect, but I think the only way people would be cool with that is if the console had a very appealing and unique hook/gimmick. And even then they'd want a decent amount of power in it as well.

There is also Tegra Xavier T194

Last edited by DaniPoo,

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't they say the exact same thing after the launch of the Switch Lite? Although I'm willing to believe it this time. Three variants is usually where Ninty maxes out before moving on to the upgrade. Think about it- Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Light, then the color. GBA, GBA SP, GameBoy Micro, then the DS. DS, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS. 3DS, 2DS, New 3DS, Switch. Switch, Switch Lite, Switch OLED.. then, uh.. stalling until the sales dip deep enough to justify a successor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system