Hacking SCDS2 worth buying?

matejdro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I see that SCDS2 is awesome with its hardware and features, but i'm not sure if it's worth to buy it. I have 3 reasons against:

1. Developers interest

While card's hardware is great, i guess current homebrew would need rewrite or major changes to run at new hardware. Would card be enough popular to have lots of homebrew made for it?

2. Competition and successors

Two years back i bought eee701 and later found that i made mistake. While computer is still decent, there were at least 2 times better products in just few months for a same price. I understand that electronics are constantly developing, but sometimes is not the best choice to buy first product of certain type, because it can be just trigger for Âevolution of these devices and completely sucks compared to products after few months.

3. 3DS

While i'm not planning to buy 3DS, what will happen to current homebrew? Will developers drop it and continue to more advanced 3DS system?

Main reason for buying that card for me would be running more advanced homebrew and playing videos with more known codecs (i hate that DS codec which only 3 crappy apps can convert to). I don't care much about GBA, because i already have slot-2 supercard SD and GBA itself.

So, it's worth to buy SCDS2?

Vietkid420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JUST BUY IT!
It has more than what u said!
REAL TIME SAVE
REAL TIME GUIDE
REAL TIME CHEATS
REAL TIME Everything
Free Cheat Mode
GBA support
Evolution OS
+more.....................................

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
matejdro said:
I see that SCDS2 is awesome with its hardware and features, but i'm not sure if it's worth to buy it. I have 3 reasons:

1. Developers interest

While card's hardware is great, i guess current homebrew would need rewrite or major changes to run at new hardware. Would card be enough popular to have lots of homebrew made for it?
Hopefully this cart will be very popular as it is the first of its kind ( except for iplayer but non rom support caused less popularity ) and all previous homebrew should work

2. Competition and successors

Two years back i bought eee701 and later found that i made mistake. I understand that electronics is constantly developing, but in my eee case there was at least 2 times better products of the same type just few months later for the same prize. Is ok to rush for first device of this type?
There will bound to be competitors ( There is already a clone ) but with the Supercard team you know they will always e one of the better cards as the DsOnei is till one of the 3 best choices for a Dsi cart

3. 3DS

While i'm not planning to buy 3DS, what will happen to current homebrew? Will developers drop it and continue to more advanced 3DS system?
People will not drop it as such and we don't know if the 3DS will be able to hacked to use homebrew but yes people will move on to creating homebrew for this but why would this affect your DsTwo purchase. The 3DS is set for release 2011 I think and that's for Japan

So, it's worth to buy SCDS2?
Yes if you want all of its features. I pre-ordered it with the special offer for no real reason, I guess I just wanted to be part of the crowd but I'm not regretting it, the more I find out the more it gets better so IMHO it is worth it.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it worth buying? A quick search would yield an answer.
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: GBA/SNES playing while also having DS roms payable, including the richly featured in-game menu with Free Cheat is awesome. Also, you can brag around 'bout your feckin' powerful DS just because this one's got an internal processor and RAM.

Need more?

Vietkid420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Is it worth buying? A quick search would yield an answer.
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: GBA/SNES playing while also having DS roms payable, including the richly featured in-game menu with Free Cheat is awesome. Also, you can brag around 'bout your feckin' powerful DS just because this one's got an internal processor and RAM.

Need more?
free cheat is awesome, look at what it made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnX_kcs2v5I

I order 20 SCDS2 when it was on sale at shop temp! So 80 more for sale left! But that sales is over by now!

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. If they release the SDK for it, then it would be a homebrew dev's dream.

2. Sorry to burst your bubble but technology evolves as well. There will always be a better something.

3. Who cares, it is not even out. If your thinking about the flashcarts for that thing, you as a user will be sitting on your butt for a long time while hackers get first crack at it.

None of the questions are even really related to the SCDS2, except the first one. And the codec question. Lame really, your gropping around the questions you should be asking. Read the features to the SCDS2 on the shoptemp site and the SC main site.

http://shoptemp.com/products/Supercard-DST...e-DSi-p-97.html
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-4934-1-1.html

Then ask yourself is this something you want to have. If you can't answer your own question, then no.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this, but I didn't want to clone this topic.

I am wondering if I should get a SCDS2. Here are my thoughts:

Budget: $175
Want to buy: SCDS2, 3DS, possibly SMG2
Already have: AK2i, DSi, Wii (lol)

Reasons for getting SCDS2: better flashcart experience, Pokemon GBA Emulation

Also, will most problematic games work on the SCDS2, like Bleach Dark Souls?
And does anyone know if the SCDS2 has an update function? As in for the firmware?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could compare the EOS to AKAIO 1.6RC2, or AKAIO in general.

Thanks in advance!

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
We don't know about 3DS support yet so I wouldn't advise buying it if you only plan to use it on 3DS

the SCDStwo Plays most, if not all nds roms

I haven't seen the AK2 Ui so I wouldn't know, but the Ui is very pretty
wub.gif

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought you said you're not planning to buy the 3DS :wtf:
Anyway, I don't think that $175 will be enough. Actually, I'm pretty sure that just the 3DS will cost more.

I didn't have any problems with Bleach: Dark Souls, but I was playing the Japanese version at the time, so IDK.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The DSTwo is a bit cheaper than the CycloDS and has much better in game menu and save state support. As an example, if you bring up the in game menu on the CycloDS in battle (perhaps because you are stuck on a boss) the game will freeze once you go back to it but it works fine on the DSTwo. Also in Revenant Wings, the CycloDS in game menu will always cause the game to lock up on returning but the DSTwo works fine. Same with savestates in Megaman ZX. So you get a cart that is about $5 cheaper (for those in the US, realhotstuff has free shipping and ships from New Jersey) with better in game menu and savestate compatability that works on the DSi (the CycloDS is not DSi compatible). Not to mention the GBA emulator and other stuff coming out.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
I'm not sold with this cheap build and I will wait since we can expect something better soon...

IEdge is an alternative for DSI and it is a budget card for half the price now.

nl255 I've got no freeze from CycloDS with a clean card and latest firmware. Please fill a bug in Team Cyclods forums It could help. Both cards are expensive but one is a solid but three years old card and the other is a premature beta... promising but with a cheap build.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only some games freeze after going to the in-game menu w/ the CycloDS Evo. I have not had it mess-up on any of my ripped games. Not sure where you got your info on the Cyclo, but (to my knowledge) its the most updated card on the market and has similar game compatibility to AKIO and EOS. It took TC a few days to get an update for HG/SS and (if I remember correctly) was one of the first to get it running without issues.

The CycloDS is still a good card and worth the money. Just having a dev team that speaks English and responds to user questions and OS input makes it worth while.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
gumbyx84 said:
Only some games freeze after going to the in-game menu w/ the CycloDS Evo. I have not had it mess-up on any of my ripped games. Not sure where you got your info on the Cyclo, but (to my knowledge) its the most updated card on the market and has similar game compatibility to AKIO and EOS. It took TC a few days to get an update for HG/SS and (if I remember correctly) was one of the first to get it running without issues.

The CycloDS is still a good card and worth the money. Just having a dev team that speaks English and responds to user questions and OS input makes it worth while.

This is from personal experience with a CycloDS and firmware 1.58 final. Final Fantasy 4 worked fine as long as you only used the in game menu from the main map (i.e. not in menus, combat, or FMV) and FF12 Revenant Wings didn't like the in game menu at all. Other games had sound issues with RTS on the CycloDS as well. For a beta cart, the DSTwo seems to have much better RTS and in game menu support (though it is possible that the DSOne is also like that).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: