Hardware Scanlines on N3DS XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you have to lift the motherboard? I'm going to try this.
No I just unscrewed the back I kind of bundled my wifi antenna and tapped it down to my back plate in a way where it didn't cover anything, make sure you lift both L/R trigger pads with your nail or tweezers before lifting the back completely off be gentle.

Pereb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No I just unscrewed the back I kind of bundled my wifi antenna and tapped it down to my back plate in a way where it didn't cover anything, make sure you lift both L/R trigger pads with your nail or tweezers before lifting the back completely off be gentle.

Not seeing any change even after lifting the mobo and re-seating the ribbons under it.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it came back today and the effect is even stronger when I tuned on my console im not sure what causes this could it possibly be the battery?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@hundshamer do you have any idea what could possibly cause this?

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would've guessed the ribbon cable. Try turning it on with pressure on the tabs to make sure they are being held in tightly.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just take out the motherboard and build your own 3ds case that fits to the size of an amazing vita screen and use that vita screen as the top screen lmao. Honestly now that I think about it this is possible, bc people hook up mobo's to better screens all the time to build their own portables/raspberry pi emulators.

Edit: this was just a joke at first, but then I thought this could actually be possible for people who make portable mods all the time. It'd be a custom 3ds with a great screen.

Last edited by Robert McCoy,

NintendoFan06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what are the advantages and disadvantages of the IPS and TN screens on the New 3DS? Ghosting, trailing, scanlines, motion blur, etc.?

What can be calibrated on the 3DS and what cannot?

What does the potentiometer affect with the GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance Advance SP AGS-101, DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL?

Last edited by NintendoFan06,

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
IPS is better than TN

My New 3DS XL has TN screens while my friend's New XL has an IPS top bottom TN and the differences on our top screens is immense.

His top screen produces richer and more vibrant colors compared to the dull color reproduction on mine. The super stable 3D effect on his doesn't have ghosting. His top screen overall looks higher in quality than mine.

If you have a TN screen and you wanna know what the graphics of the game you're playing would look like on an IPS display, grab your phone real quick and point the camera on your 3DS's screen do not take a pic (must be the back camera for this to work). Once you do so look at the screen on your 3DS while still pointing the camera on its screen and then after a second or two look at your phone's screen.

See the immense color differences between your 3DS's screen and the image of the 3DS's screen on your phone? That's what the game would look like if you were to play it on IPS screen. Simple as that.

It's kinda sucks to get TN

Reactions: NintendoFan06

NintendoFan06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought. I actually have a Majora's Mask New 3DS XL that I got on launch day (February 13th, 2015) from Target. It has an IPS Top / TN Bottom. I could see how the bottom TN screen turns white when viewed from an extreme angle, while the top IPS screen stays the same.

I purchased the Pokemon Red & Blue New 3DS from GameStop, and it had dual TN screens. I was shocked at how worse the colors were on the TN screen, so I returned it. I took dozens of comparison screenshots if you're interested in seeing them.

Are IPS screens on the DSi XL and New 3DS (XL) supposed to have strong scanlines? My Majora's Mask New 3DS XL has them, but they're practically invisible unless I look extremely close at the screen. I also noticed that my bottom TN screen has the checkerboard pattern like all TN panels are reported to have, and they're also practically invisible unless I look extremely close at the screen.

One last thing: I've heard that there are actually two or more kinds of IPS panels being used for the New 3DS (XL). Is this true? Is one better than the other? Sharp was the company that supplied the LCD screens for Nintendo's GameBoy, DS and 3DS line. I heard Nintendo changed companies to Japan Display, who are supposedly responsible for the IPS screens.

Last edited by NintendoFan06,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Laughing face + 2
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    finally, a zelda game where you play as zelda
    it only took 40 years
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @The Real Jdbye, They finally got the naming convention right.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now lets rename all of the old Zelda games to The Legend of Link. Lol.
    they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDGBTssUI