Hacking Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for Wii (and DS) games

alexmac0052

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
hi, I enter the address 75.127.5.215 for primary and secondary DNS with successful connexion and configure the USB loader GX Mod Cyan for wiimmfi.de and nossl. Works well with the wiimmfi server but ALTWFC get an error 20100 I tried with an ISO of Mario Kart Wii PAL and NTSC. In the test I changed the configuration of the USB loader GX on the private server option and have changed to NoSSL and I've also changed the settings in the game to NoSSL. I got the same error with Tatsunoko vs Capcom & Smash Brawl. Could tell me what I'm doing wrong?
The games I've tried have not changed anything, these are the versions that come with nintendo servers

illisa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there!
Thanks SOOOSOOOO MUCH for creating this project.
I followed the link above and connected to brainslug no problem, everything ran smoothly. I inserted MKW, and for some reason, after connecting to Nintendo WFC for about 30 seconds, Id lose connection and get error code 84020.
What am I doing wrong? Everything is entered in exactly as it says? Do I need special permission on the server??? Whats happening?
Please reply to me at [email protected] , its a lot easier for me to recieve messages and replies.
Thank you!

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, I enter the address 75.127.5.215 for primary and secondary DNS with successful connexion and configure the USB loader GX Mod Cyan for wiimmfi.de and nossl. Works well with the wiimmfi server but ALTWFC get an error 20100 I tried with an ISO of Mario Kart Wii PAL and NTSC. In the test I changed the configuration of the USB loader GX on the private server option and have changed to NoSSL and I've also changed the settings in the game to NoSSL. I got the same error with Tatsunoko vs Capcom & Smash Brawl. Could tell me what I'm doing wrong?
The games I've tried have not changed anything, these are the versions that come with nintendo servers
WiFi save data is not compatible between altwfc and wiimmfi. You need separate saves for each.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
20110 is an error for "servers are closed", meaning the redirection didn't work as nintendo (or gamespy) is sending this error.
I guess 20100 is the same kind of error sent from the server because it's unreachable.

Either your wifi is not working (verify other applications can access internet)
or your router is forcing another DNS than the one provided in the wii settings, thus preventing the URL change in realtime.

In USBLoaderGX, you don't need to set the setting twice.
either set it in the Settings>Loader Settings (the global settings)
or in Games > Preferences > Game Settings (The individual settings)

By default, all games are using the Global settings.

alexmac0052

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
20110 is an error for "servers are closed", meaning the redirection didn't work as nintendo (or gamespy) is sending this error.
I guess 20100 is the same kind of error sent from the server because it's unreachable.

Either your wifi is not working (verify other applications can access internet)
or your router is forcing another DNS than the one provided in the wii settings, thus preventing the URL change in realtime.

In USBLoaderGX, you don't need to set the setting twice.
either set it in the Settings>Loader Settings (the global settings)
or in Games > Preferences > Game Settings (The individual settings)

By default, all games are using the Global settings.
my router gives internet access to all applications, in the loader I tried changing private server options as follows:

1 - Loader: OFF | Game: nossl
2 - Loader: OFF | Game: Global settings
3 - Loader: OFF | Game: OFF (xD)
4 - Loader: nossl | Game: nossl
5 - Loader: nossl | Game: Global Settings
6 - Loader: nossl | Game: OFF

The Loader has only OFF, nossl, Wiimmfi.de.
I tested the Ocarina cheat with usbloader GX without modification of the servers and CFG Loader with the same result.

I need only verify this, but I don't know how to do it
"or your router is forcing another DNS than the one provided in the wii settings, thus preventing the URL change in realtime."

I have recommended this method to a friend in another country and also has problems accessing to the ALTWFC server with a different error 23503. Wiimmfi however using this method works perfectly.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The server is maybe at fault.
I found that it happened once here
Nagato said the server stopped accepting incoming requests.

I don't know how to check the DNS bypass issue, I was just copying another user's comment I found as possible cause for this error.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
@Nagato
I have tested your server now 3 times and always I met a player, that is still waiting for others to fire as many cheated items as possible.

While I'm online, I've loaded the MS status table. And then I saw, that my own record (and also the others) was frequently not shown in the table. It must be a delete+insert issue. This maybe a reason for the long waiting time before connecting to other players.

mm201

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wiimm:

Each of us has different interests and areas of expertise. I don't think anyone on the internet (without an NDA to Nintendo) knows as much about the MKW netcode as you do. Likewise, I believe if I wasn't making Pokémon servers, there wouldn't be any.

There's a huge volume of work remaining to be done on increasing the range of games we can support, and this work mostly boils down to a volunteer who's intimately familiar with how the game works contributing their time to helping make it work. None of the altwfc developers know that much about MKW to try and implement the detailed sorts of anti-cheat you're doing.

It's entirely up to you if you want to contribute anti-cheat to the project. Otherwise, there's no use complaining about a tier 2 feature (anti-cheat) not working in a game we're not prioritizing, especially when we're all still hustling to get tier 1 finished.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wiimmfi server has no cheat protection - we use a tool named "mkw-ana" which can be downloaded from Wiimms homepage to identify cheaters.

einstein95

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The Wiimmfi server has no cheat protection - we use a tool named "mkw-ana" which can be downloaded from Wiimms homepage to identify cheaters.
Could you be a little more specific as to where on the homepage? I visit (what I presume to be) the homepage, yet there are no links as to indicate where to download the software, nor any indication that such software even exists!

EDIT: After a quick Google search, I found it on mariokartwii.com, not the "homepage" of WiimmFi. After reading the description, how does this actually work, considering that most, if not all, in-game network communication is done (afaik) peer-to-peer, not via a server.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(The link is on Wiimms homepage wiimm.de. Not on Wiimmfi.de)

That's it. The Wiimmfi server can not detect cheaters on its own. We (Wiimm, me and some others) have this tool running every time we drive a online race (locally, on our computer, sniffing the Wii's network data), and when we or the tool detects that someone is cheating, we enter his friend code to the server and the server simply blocks this console from logging in. Nothing special on server side, only a console ban of consoles we enter into the "ban list".

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
I told you about the cheater, because it is scary for users who want's to play. My server has no cheat detection, because the clients talk peer to peer. Only my tool mkw-ana, which analyses this peer top peer traffic, can detect some cheats.

About the technical part:
I talk about the MASTER packets of type 3 (that one with the data records for the game table) and the retrieving server MS<number>.

I tell you here the details about MKWii, but other games work similar:
If a user tries match making, the Wii change its role between host and guest frequently. Most it is a guest searching a host. But for a few seconds, the Wii changes its role to host and wait for guests. And only in this time the Wii accept other guests. And here it is important, the the game table shows immediately the host state at database queries. If your sever updates the database delayed (and removes old entries before), the chance for match-making is reduced.

A question:
Do you plan to support another domain on your servers and not only nintendowifi.net?
The background: I have written a game patcher like the Wiimmfi patcher. Using a patched game, there are no needs to use BrainSlug or cheat codes. The only thing is, you have to use your DS server. With an own domain, a DS server redirect is not longer needed. This makes is also easier, if you change the IP in the future. And the best is to use a new domain only for this purpose.

EDIT:
I don't mean the status page, I mean the MS<number> request, that every game do to get data about the other players. mkw-ana can also retrieve such tables and here frequently i missed my own data.

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A different domain can easily be used because the server software doesn't really care about them. All it'll take is a domain name pointing to our IP.

I've never felt the need because changing servers is not a thing that happens very often and I don't like tying patches to only AltWFC. The server software is open so other people can make their own servers and I don't want all the patching tools to be worthless because it patches to a domain they don't control.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
A different domain can easily be used because the server software doesn't really care about them. All it'll take is a domain name pointing to our IP..
That's not true, at least the the nas server (and I think all http servers) won't accept connections made via naswii.test.wiimmfi.de

Response: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not true, at least the the nas server (and I think all http servers) won't accept connections made via naswii.test.wiimmfi.de

Response: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
That just needs a webserver configuration change. Nothing in the actual dwc_network_server_emulator software.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: You infidel.