Hacking Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for Wii (and DS) games

Lemzy101

just likes playing around with homebrew.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
About 80% chances are Project M team are going to use their own server. Well, their new version is going to be released in December 2014, which means the online features will be unusable unless they make their own server. However, it won't hurt to tell them.

On the other hand, I think we should avoid telling well known Nintendo blogs. There are chances that someone is going to tell Nintendo, or it's going to be posted in Nintendo's official blog. We don't want to create the risk of getting 'cease or desist' from Nintendo.

You've got a point there, maybe we could spread the info via well known home-brew communities or by implementation in popular Home-brew apps (HBC, Usb Loaders,Wiihacks, Ocarina, Wiibrew?) but not too mainstream?

Subzero100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is a joke right? if Nintendo finds out about this they are going to tear you a new one, and why would anyone one want this when every game is full of hacks.

guitaristtom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really hope people were able to grab the packets for Pokemon Battle Revolution...I tried using both Dolphin (3.5, 4, and that modified one on here) and non of them worked at all...I even dumped my Wii's nand hoping that would work.

I really enjoy playing online on that game and I hope it is able to stay alive...

eN-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's basically no possibility for Nintendo to shut down the custom server. It contains no original Nintendo code (how would it, we don't have the sources), the wiimmfi-patcher aswell contains no Nintendo code, modifying games we own is legal and after all, what reason should they have to put any effort into taking down that server when they know that even on the original servers there were no more than maybe 3,000 players online at a time and that this number will be dramatically lower on the custom server just because it is such an insider thing and takes some effort that many Wii owners would never be able to successfully do?

No, there is really no reason to be afraid IMO. Not to forget the power of the community - if Nintendo takes down that custom server in which many community members have put a lot of work into, a whole lot of people even who didn't use that server would be very pissed just because that would be such a dick-move from Nintendo. Bye Wii U, welcome PS4 ?!

And after all, it wasn't even Nintendo who wants to take down the servers but GameSpy stopping their business. So please stop making everyone remain silent about this, we need to spread the word ;)

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Red Joker

GBATEMPer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It seems I have failed capturing the data. WireShark isn't capturing anything. My Android isn't rooted, either.
Sorry for the trouble I've caused yesterday Toad King.
Best of luck, guys.

Red Joker

GBATEMPer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
There's basically no possibility for Nintendo to shut down the custom server. It contains no original Nintendo code (how would it, we don't have the sources), the wiimmfi-patcher aswell contains no Nintendo code, modifying games we own is legal and after all, what reason should they have to put any effort into taking down that server when they know that even on the original servers there were no more than maybe 3,000 players online at a time and that this number will be dramatically lower on the custom server just because it is such an insider thing and takes some effort that many Wii owners would never be able to successfully do?

No, there is really no reason to be afraid IMO. Not to forget the power of the community - if Nintendo takes down that custom server in which many community members have put a lot of work into, a whole lot of people even who didn't use that server would be very pissed just because that would be such a dick-move from Nintendo. Bye Wii U, welcome PS4 ?!

And after all, it wasn't even Nintendo who wants to take down the servers but GameSpy stopping their business. So please stop making everyone remain silent about this, we need to spread the word ;)
Should I spread in Mario Kart Wii's GameFAQs (Linked to Gamespot) message board, after the server is fully done? They will be thrilled.

EDIT : Looks like someone has already posted it in GameFAQs. Which links to wiimm's thread.

I've researched online about Nintendo's policy. As long as we don't charge money (Nintendo will be pissed) for the servers, we should be safe. ... As long as Nintendo doesn't tell us to "Move to Wii U and 3DS."

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are servers still up? Maybe there is a possibility they might be up until the end of the day?

Also was anyone able to look at Ghost Squad? I know it's a niche game but I really love my rail shooters.

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we stop the legal speculation here? Unless one of you is actually a lawyer specializing in intellectual property in which case go ahead.

GaymanAndRobots

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a problem connecting to the custom server. I have enabled the net adapter,deleted previous save files,in putted the new dns code and booted up Mario Kart Wii through Brainslug. But when I go to Nintendo WFC it gives the "unable to connect, confirm internet settings" error. So, what must I do to connect to the new server?

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone in the community still doing dumps who I could maybe skype with and get some assistance doing it correctly?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i still help using the dolphin emulator? just too much RL BS going this week end.

i hope it's not too late for games that we could not get data for.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think i can get packets for games that are not on NWC with dolphin anymore is that right?

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some last minute things I did.

Successfully posted my "pimped rabbid" to the worldwide contest in Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party.
Connected to the Leader-boards in Reload.

Sat in the Tetris Party matchmaker for a few minutes waiting for a game... Never got one.
I have to work today, but if the servers are still up it's real simple to capture packets if you have unlimited 4G data on your phone.

Don't use Shark, it's very buggy. Instead use an app called SniffDroid. It places a widget on your home screen. Then put your phone in Wifi Hotspot mode (unprotected to make things simple), go to your Wii, create a new wireless connection and choose your phone's hotspot, do a connection test and DON'T ACCEPT THE UPDATE when the Wii asks!

Now press the record button on your phone's capturing widget, and play your WFC games while your phone captures. When done, disconnect and press "stop" on the widget. You will have the capture file in /mnt/sdcard/sniffdroid/ on your phone.

The end.
~makarios~

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm never tried the phone version of Wireshark (didn't know they had one actually). I ended up using a new DD-WRT router mirroring everything to a PC with Wireshark to capture all I could. Glad you got some packets for Tetris Party, wish I could have dropped by would have tried that one. I manged to capture a few leaderboards and got items listed on them, so it should be a good capture. I just now have to filter this stuff down to just the Wii. But at least I know I have good captures.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: