Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really it's a matter of opinion depending on the game, whether or not the Saturn or PS1 has a superior version.
But that's a different conversation. I don't think anyone is expecting all 1000+ games to be tested, but I also don't mind testing games that are on other systems or less popular than others.
ill be spicific then, Lunar silver star stories and Grandia 1 which has an English Translation is best played on PSX
the only reason i like Castlevnia on both consoles isn't the extra levels or remixed music (its the fact that they changed the game play style for Maria on PSP port

anyway, i am not the one Testing!

if you wanted my opinion: i am only interested in adding 20games or less on my switch from saturn library
i have already tested them and now waiting for a solution to remove success/city connection wallpaper and cotton/Guardian force name from the NSP

also mr Bones Doesn't work so thats half my motivation lost there!!

Last edited by ZER-O,

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any idea why Ultimate MK3 shows colours like this? I have tested different roms and single and multible .bin files and same results. Other than this game works great.
For what it's worth, Tempest 2000 has colour issues as well. But it's not unique to this version of the emulator (SSF), the exact same thing happens on the PC version of the emulator too:

The below circle should be a dark blue that fades to black in the middle, but instead it's grey:
1634251712518.png

It should look closer to below:
1634251870094.png

I'm sure there's an option in the ini that would probably fix it, but no idea where to start. I tried playing with the gamma settings but it was getting VERY tedious :(

Reactions: hippy dave

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have found another of those "magic numbers" in the INI.

It's the BlockClock thing. Full compatibility on SSF uses 32, while emulator uses 450. Seems like the lower, the higher requirements. Dead or Alive does not work on 450, it just throws a black screen right away. I haven't checked all the range, but 250 makes the game boot and works fullspeed (32 crawls). But, again, it probably could be higher.

Kudos to xYuunax for posting the profiles.

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have found another of those "magic numbers" in the INI.

It's the BlockClock thing. Full compatibility on SSF uses 32, while emulator uses 450. Seems like the lower, the higher requirements. Dead or Alive does not work on 450, it just throws a black screen right away. I haven't checked all the range, but 250 makes the game boot and works fullspeed (32 crawls). But, again, it probably could be higher.

Kudos to xYuunax for posting the profiles.
Most ssf.ini I found don't even have BlockClock that high.. I was kinda suspicious with that number being so high. But I will keep this in mind as I keep testing ;)

chobochobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I've been playing Baku Baku Animal a whole lot. Nostalgia-city as they say. This was the only videogame I could ever convince my sisters to play - we used to have versus marathons. I've been waiting to play it on a handheld for ages. I waited ages to play it again - I got a Saturn about 10 years ago just to play it again, then waited for every emulator to run it. As luck would have it the Saturn is one of the more difficult systems to emulate, and Baku Baku Animal is one that doesn't run well, on say the Yaba - it only runs on mednafen. For a while I had it on a laptop with a controller. I seriously considered getting a Steam Deck just to play this on a handheld, but then it's not released/ open for preorder in my region yet. It was a surprise to read about the Zebraengine emulator. Kudos to the OG for finding out about the emulator. Thanks everyone for helping this newbie figure out how to make it work. Cheers.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't open your Sega Saturn Tribute Private Group, dude (ZER-O). Due to having oops to me. :(
i am going to close the Group, because everybody got the wrong idea
this is the Topic to discus Sega Saturn Tribute thanks to Levine91 and his Patience to show everyone how its done

i am not sure what are the Random PM request to join expecting to find in my Private Group that isn't shared here, are you looking for properly made custom nsp with downloadable links? you wont find any

my Private Topic is for Contributing and researching with users who contribute info or assets like:

JRoad

cucholix

shadow256

stranno

Thanks to Them they made it possible for everyone to Inject their own Custom Images and compile the Game

*modsnip*

Last edited by DinohScene,
Reactions: Thorhax

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well i'm more than happy what i've got now and very big thank you to all who helped me. I have already learned cool new things and the fact that i can now play one of my favourite games with my Switch is just awasome thing. If we get someday to the point where we can have even more detailed custom games that will be cool. But if not well thats life. Cheers for now 🍺

Reactions: kite21

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The last two videos from my tests. All compatibility reports in my previous posts, or in the video comments.

I have played around ~100 games. ~85% of them work flawless, no issues at all and fullspeed with OC (haven't tested without it). In the rest of the games there are some minor playable games with issues (Virtua Fighter Remix). The rest of the games do not work at all (some Core/Crystal), crashes after menus (Time Warner games) or in the first stages (Croc o Deep Fear). I haven't tested all regions and there's still lots of values to test, so some of them could be fixed in the future.

I could make one more extra video, with translations, hacks and fixed games.

Sidnei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can the OP be updated with the instructions to create separate NSPs for each iso with album art so newcommers don't have to sort through this entire thread.

it would be amazing. I used the script and managed to create nsp, but the game doesn't start on the switch. I can only play by modifying the folders, without using the script, but the game keeps the image of Cotton 2.

i am using a translator, i apologize for the english

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

kof_k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The last two videos from my tests. All compatibility reports in my previous posts, or in the video comments.

I have played around ~100 games. ~85% of them work flawless, no issues at all and fullspeed with OC (haven't tested without it). In the rest of the games there are some minor playable games with issues (Virtua Fighter Remix). The rest of the games do not work at all (some Core/Crystal), crashes after menus (Time Warner games) or in the first stages (Croc o Deep Fear). I haven't tested all regions and there's still lots of values to test, so some of them could be fixed in the future.

I could make one more extra video, with translations, hacks and fixed games.

Great videos! Amazing job!
I tested the Japanese version of Croc and passed the first stage, but not at fullspeed. 👍

kof_k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Check the second level if you can. It hangs there, in the very beginning, after a few platforms in a row, with a chasing enemy in top, once you enter the door there.
No problem, I'll check it out here. One question: Would the stage in question be 1-2? I went to 1-3 and have no issues

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_152515.jpg
    IMG_20211015_152515.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...