Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i will contribute in a more Organized Topic because it has become hard to find Informative posts between the repeated questions that was already been Answered in first page

because someone in this Topic insulted and Trashed my Contribution, i am making the Group Private
if you know what you are Doing and can Help Speed up the Build of a Perfect Clean Sega Saturn Tribute NSP, you are welcome to join the Group

https://gbatemp.net/forums/sega-saturn-tribute.416/
there is no need to join Discord unless you wanted to share Re compiled Assets

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm. The folder name isn't correct for the Collection right? I tried it anyway, but it doesn't work for me - selecting Cotton2 in the front menu gives me Cotton 2. When I use the folder name as per Purple_Shyguy, I get a Error Code: 2002-0001, twice, and then a black screen.

What am I missing please? I'm taking the microSD out and putting in my laptop. Then I make the folder, transfer the BIN and CUE, rename the cue. Then I reboot the Switch and delete the save file, and then start the game. Black screen each time. It'd make my day to be able to play Baku Baku Animal on the go! Please help LOL
Works well for me, I'm currently playing Albert Odyssey. Maybe something is wrong with your game?

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i will contribute in a more Organized Topic because it has become hard to find Informative posts between the repeated questions that was already been Answered in first page

because someone in this Topic insulted and Trashed my Contribution, i am making the Group Private
if you know what you are Doing and can Help Speed up the Build of a Perfect Clean Sega Saturn Tribute NSP, you are welcome to join the Group

I clicked on your link, but get a cannot access error.
May I have access please

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

I also would gladly join if i'm allowed. I'd really like to learn more obaut this stuff. Hopefully i have not insulted anyone but if i have i'm sorry and it has not been intented.

chobochobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Works well for me, I'm currently playing Albert Odyssey. Maybe something is wrong with your game?
Cheers. I opened up the CUE file of Baku Baku Animal and saw how it was 'pointing' to the BIN file. The name was correct but somehow when looking at the file via TINFOIL, the BIN extension was missing. I added the extension back and voila the game loads! It seems to play fine though sound is distorted. I'm guessing that the emulator isn't going to get any updates/ get better, but this is good. Now for an extended play to 'check the game'! Thanks everyone for the instructions.

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well maybe not great but does the job.
For some reason MK colours are very off. I will merge to bin files into one bin and see will that make any difference.
Edit: Nope.

Attachments

• 20211014_184027.jpg
    20211014_184027.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
Last edited by helvetinperkeles,
Reactions: peteruk

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured I was long overdue for learning about photoshop, so I went ahead and used this as motivation.
Unlike the previous post, all of these were made by me, using the same template from said post.
I've only been using PS for the past couple of days, so my apologies for any blemishes or imperfections.

Baku Baku Cover.png
Bug Too Cover.png
Guardian Heroes Cover.png

Guardian Heroes Cover Alt.png
Loaded Cover.png
Noon Cover.png

Sonic R Cover.png
Powerslave Cover.png
Silhouette Mirage Cover.png

Last edited by Levine91,

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be nice if someone made Zebra Engine Standalone or the core that would runs on Sega Model 2, STV arcade and the Saturn games just like Dreamcast Flycast or reicast that runs nomai, atomiwave and dreamcast games :)

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I figured I was long overdue for learning about photoshop, so I went ahead and used this as motivation.
Unlike the previous post, all of these were made by me, using the same template from said post.
I've only been using PS for the past couple of days, so my apologies for any blemishes or imperfections.

View attachment 279745View attachment 279746View attachment 279749
View attachment 279751View attachment 279752View attachment 279753
View attachment 279754
they are great, but think about the 256x256 size icon displayed on switch and what kind of text is readable at that size

no need to keep the ESRB Rating system Logo (KA, M, T), serial number under sega Saturn Font, any small font etc

ill do my covers mostly using the Gold style from Japan
after i finish the library, ill do a few with USA lable, this style needs work if i try to remake it, since you will have to do some cutout of the images to give it the 3D effect overlay on white label
one sad reality: no mater how beatiful detailed the cover is, 80% of the details will be lost on 256x256 size
keep that in mind unless you plan to keep an HD cover Gallery for Admiration purposes!

once you make a Template with layers, you will get used to it and make a new cover in less then 2 minutes
Good Work

Reactions: Levine91

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Would be nice if someone made Zebra Engine Standalone or the core that would runs on Sega Model 2, STV arcade and the Saturn games just like Dreamcast Flycast or reicast that runs nomai, atomiwave and dreamcast games :)
Model 2 has nothing to do with Saturn hardware, it's like one generation ahead (probably more). Saturn does not even reach the Model 1 fillrate. It can do textures, but in other areas Model 1 blows Saturn out of the water. But, again, different hardware. The emulator should have support for Titan Video, but we don't know how to load games.

You cannot play Model 2 on Switch, but weirdly enough, you can play Model 3 on Linux for Switch, someone tweaked Supermodel and it runs surprisingly fine. Of course it would be much better on Horizon.

@stranno youre video was featured on Nintendo Life in an article about this emulator 😎

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...de-a-commercial-switch-release#comment6603578
Tbh, I am happier to see it on Sega Saturn Shiro 😂 I'm a big fan of their podcast.

Last edited by Deleted member 323844,
Reactions: peteruk

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Any idea why Ultimate MK3 shows colours like this? I have tested different roms and single and multible .bin files and same results. Other than this game works great.

Attachments

• 20211014_210545.jpg
    20211014_210545.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 20211014_210753.jpg
    20211014_210753.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20211014_210545.jpg
    20211014_210545.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Road Avenger is an FMV game
i have the physical video card, its useless beyond playing VCD, i thought it enhanced the video quality

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a Lunar Silver Star Complete requires the Video Card.
Honestly don't know what it adds to it.
the games that are already available in PSX with superior Quality is best to be payed there with Retro-Arch PSX Core
we dont need to test every game for the sake of testing, some games are really bad on Saturn, Focus on 2D Games, Figure out which games run with 4 MB and which games refused to run because we changed the settings to play 4MB Supported games

Saturn is the Gold Mine for Shoot Em Ups / 2D Fighting Games and a few JRPG Sleeper Hits, the rest is best experienced elsewhere unless it was a console Exclusive game

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
the games that are already available in PSX with superior Quality is best to be payed there with Retro-Arch PSX Core
we dont need to test every game for the sake of testing, some games are really bad on Saturn, Focus on 2D Games, Figure out which games run with 4 MB and which games refused to run because we changed the settings to play 4MB Supported games

Saturn is the Gold Mine for Shoot Em Ups / 2D Fighting Games and a few JRPG Sleeper Hits, the rest is best experienced elsewhere unless it was a console Exclusive game
most of the 2D arcade fighters like SF/MK, best to use retroarch or MAME, no loading and smaller size footprint.

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Really it's a matter of opinion depending on the game, whether or not the Saturn or PS1 has a superior version.
But that's a different conversation. I don't think anyone is expecting all 1000+ games to be tested, but I also don't mind testing games that are on other systems or less popular than others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.