Hacking Rumors and Guesses about "Xenowii"

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First gen chips have been decent ... and it's possible a first gen Wii chip will be the same. I think we're all getting our hopes a little high at the moment though, with no actual chip or method in sight. Just rumors ...

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've got no idea about console modchips but being able to run homebrew and different region games would be great things, not just fluff, that might not be there in the first version.

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
running wii homebrew will be very hard to get sice the apps have to be encrypted like the wii programs are encrypted with RSA
and as far as i know no one was able to encrypt RSA.

regionfree backuping would be cool my discs are so scratched

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
regionfree backuping would be cool my discs are so scratched
Region free would be cool, but what do you mean for 'backups' because your discs are so scratched.
If you just need to have 'backups' of your games then why would you need cross region playability?
Unless of course you are buying out of region titles which wont play in your Wii and scratching them up for the fun of it..?

indiraider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heres a thought that has been bothering me the past few months...Will we be able to burn GC backups or rips on full 4.7gig disks? My first preminition is yes but i ponder if the wii boots up thinking its a gc game does the dvd drive will play it different physically? For example the drive grabs the disk but its outer edges are different (obsiosly) from a normal 1.5 gig mini disk thus breaking both the wii drive and scratching the backed up copy. What do you think?

addi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well that s not where the rumor is coming from, and everyone thinks that the person who bought the xenowii domain isn´t the xeno team

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Heres a though that has been bothering me the past few months...Will we be able to burn GC backups or rips on full 4.7gig disks? I first preminition is yes but i was thinking if the wii boots up thinking its a gc game does the dvd drive play it any differently physically? Like grab the disk but its outer edges in this case breaking both the wii drive and the backed up copy. What do you think?
that's a good question...
the GBA boots in GB mode when there's a small switch pressed, so the Wii may have a "physical" detection of the disc sizes as well...

but I guess later modchips will have full GC compatibility

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The only physical difference should be in the position where the laser head starts looking for the lead-in. If it doesn't find the lead-in sector on the DVD in the location where it's supposed to be, it simply ejects the DVD. No reason to worry. I've tried putting in movie DVDs, music CDs, 8 cm CDs, photo CDs, everything, to see what it will say, and all it does is spit them out.

indiraider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only physical difference should be in the position where the laser head starts looking for the lead-in. If it doesn't find the lead-in sector on the DVD in the location where it's supposed to be, it simply ejects the DVD. No reason to worry. I've tried putting in movie DVDs, music CDs, 8 cm CDs, photo CDs, everything, to see what it will say, and all it does is spit them out.

But there is a big difference from what you tried did and what the mod is going to do. Sorry my last post was unclear, i wrote it at 3am; I edited it for grammar. What the mod is going to do is say this full sized disk IS a GC disk, so the wii's logic says OK this must be a 8cm (according to wikipedia) disk. What you are saying is you are inserting random disks and its coming up as incompatible but the its before the initial handshake that the mod bypasses.

For example
You-- Put in a full sized dvd or mini cd---wii sees that its incompatible---it treats it like a non working gc or wii disk depending on what size it is

With the mod ----We put in a full sized gc disk---mod tricks the wii into seeing an incompatible media as a gc disk---the wii knows thats its 8cm since its a gc disk it must be that size----treats it like a 8cm disk--then boom

If anyone has a slot loading cd/dvd player in their car they know that mini cds/dvds such as a 8cm gc disk are a big no no they get stuck abd have to be extracted by opening the drive.

I remember reading when the wii came out (i forgot where) that the drive had to be customarily designed by nintendo to handle mini sized media as well. A good example on how the wii takes small media is that you can insert it from top to bottom of the drive with the gc media going to the right place each time. In my opinion this is what is holding back mod makers because they need to rewrite the wii drive's firmware to treat each disk as a full one for back ups. But this can be a problem if you want to play your gc originals on your wii since every disk is being treated as a full sized disk. BTW Ninty is notorious for using both proprietary and physical copy protection on all their consoles but security through obscurity never works.

Slot loading drives only take one disk size usually so there is more to the wii's drive than meets the surface.

G

Gilrad

I would think the proccess would go something like this:
Disc gets inserted, mechanism centers disc if it's a mini disc.
Laser reads the lead-in, determines what kind of disc it is.

Now, if the drive reads gamecube and wii games physically differently, then there could be some problems. Also, problems could arise if the centering mechanism is what is used to determine whether it's a gamecube game or not.

Barring those two possibilities, however, I don't see any problem with the hardware.

nevixa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But even if the Wii checks it physically...than just burn the GCbackups on a 8cm disk. Don't see any problem with that...

indiraider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt that the Wii checks the physical size of a disc to see if it is a Wii of GC disk. To me, it seems more logical that the Wii can see this in the lead-in or whatsoever.

[/quote]

No what im saying it checks the information on the disk to determine physical size.

"Now, if the drive reads gamecube and wii games physically differently, then there could be some problems. Also, problems could arise if the centering mechanism is what is used to determine whether it's a gamecube game or not.

Barring those two possibilities, however, I don't see any problem with the hardware."

Thata whst i suspect what happening

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
No what im saying it checks the information on the disk to determine physical size.

"Now, if the drive reads gamecube and wii games physically differently, then there could be some problems. Also, problems could arise if the centering mechanism is what is used to determine whether it's a gamecube game or not.

Barring those two possibilities, however, I don't see any problem with the hardware."

Thata whst i suspect what happening

Don't you think if it reads if it's a GameCube or Wii DVD it can read a GC DVD without reducing the size ? I think what you're saying is nonsense... If you were right, there would have been problems before...

sun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
guyz..

just to say..
any news about the chip?
now i'm pretty sure it's fake..

no press relase..so..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum