Some questions about DARKCORPs / NeoGamma

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found v1.1 from dust and thinking to play around. Sorry that in case these questions have been answered somewhere.

1. I heard that DARKCORPs is the only way to load backup directly via disc channel. Is it true?

2. Does it require modchip?

3. NeoGamma can load backup via neogamma channel only (but not via disc channel). Is it true?

4. Does it require modchip / darkcorps ?

5. Is DARKCORPs still safe to use today (in terms of chance of bricking and game compatibility)?

6. Is v1.1 the latest and safest version?

Thanks dude.

===========Here is the summary from inputs below===============

MethodPrerequisiteCompatibilityLoading MethodReading SpeedChance of BrickingMedium/PlatformLast Update
ModChipDMS/D2? Series/D3 Drive ChipGoodDisc Channel6xAlmost impossibleWii and GameCube Disc2008
NeoGammaDMS/D2? Series/D3 Drive ChipGoodNeoGamma Channel3xVery LowWii, GameCube Disc and image from USB/SD2010 (R9 beta 56 MOD), 2017 (R9 beta 56 MOD R4)
DARPCORPsDMS/D2? Series/D3 Drive ChipGoodDisc Channel3xLowWii Disc2010 (v1.1)
SoftChipDMS/D2? Series/D3 Drive ChipGoodSoftChip Channel3xLowWii Disc2009 (R102)
Gecko OSDMS/D2? Series/D3 Drive Chip, DARKCORPsGoodDisc Channel3xLowWii Disc?
Force cIOS249 by PriiloaderDMS/D2? Series/D3 Drive ChipFairDisc Channel3xVery LowWii Disc?

Last edited by boris1,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First of all: I personally wouldn't recommend DARKCORP since it is a heavy modification and at least potentially problematic. It replaces all IOS with patched versions (most likely with signing bug). I've read there might be problems. The older CIOSCORP is known to prevent the HackMii Installer from working and even with the latest version of DARKCORP there might be problems installing Priiloader.
I have to mention that I failed getting DARKCORP installed when trying so no information from own experience.
=====

1. There is another way: Setting Priiloader to force all disc games to use cIOS 249. Works only for older games. Newer games check if they are running under the correct IOS and will throw Error 002 (even from legit disc)
2. Success in backup loading depends on the drive. Newer drives have the compatibility to standard DVDs removed. The drive simply can't read them no matter what. On older drives no modchip is needed. Be aware that software-only DVD backup loading is limited to 3x speed instead of 6x without a modchip.
3. Yes, I wouldn't know how Neogamma should interact with the Disc Channel
4. Same as 2: Success depends on the drive. Neogamma works without DARKCORP and will prevent newer games from throwing Error 002
5. No idea. It is an aggressive modification and I would only try it on a Wii with BootMii in boot2 (and backup the NAND before)
6. Don't know.

===========

Consider ModMii instead. Much safer in any case.

Good luck and have fun!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
the main issue with darkcorp is that it overwrites pretty much all stock IOSs with custom ones; and other apps that rely on stock IOSs may not behave properly. The most prevalent example of this is the hackmii installer, which will refuse to run if it cannot find a compatible stock IOS on the console.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Others have already gone but feel like going.

1. No there are other ways, though darkcorp probably still represents the latest take on that whole line of thought. darkcorp is one of the methods that works by replacing every IOS with a customised version (colloquially known as cIOS in the homebrew scene).
IOS for those playing along at home is the sort of low level operating system/firmware underpinning the wii. As games struggled to be updated on the Wii (there are very few examples of anything software based here, and that all for Nintendo in house stuff as far as I am aware) then rather than trying to keep all old games working with new IOS versions (basically impossible as all manner of new hardware and possibilities that were unknown at the time of launch could happen) Nintendo instead opted to make new versions and games could pick the one they wanted to use.
If every IOS is custom then the disc channel in its naive load the relevant IOS would in turn load a customised version. Or as mentioned you could hack the disc channel by various means to load everything to a specific IOS (I think homebrew types just about managed to get everything running on one, but most would bump it to three to handle the different hardware options some games saw for maximum compatibility as it were).
To finish out things then mIOS is the gamecube backwards compatibility layer. There are custom versions of that, though there are also other ways to run gamecube games.

2. There are revisions of the wii you can use a hidden 3x read mode (compared to stock/mod chip 6x, though optimisation helped) to use with burned discs sans modchip. Later revisions dropped it though. Also 3x,6x... USB and/or SD which is available to all but those with those stupid family wii and wii mini models (give or take some not inconsiderable hardware hacks) is faster by a considerable amount so people generally suggest that as an exclusive means.

3. Neogamma is its own program and as far as I am aware has no recourse to alter the disc channel.

4. No, it should run fine with the solitary modded IOS/CIOS. No need to mod all of them.

5. Same as it ever was really. As above it is a fairly massive change compared to the more surgical approach of the typical install with greater scope for screw ups. Use a proper installer and the main concern (other than certain homebrew not working properly) would be the increased time taken to mod increasing the chance of a power cut happening at a critical point, though if your wii supports boot2 bootmii or you have similar restorative options from some other means then eh.
In a blow to my credibility I don't know what happened to some of the BCA stuff that various Nintendo first party games used as much of it became obsolete around this point (was dangerously close already) and I observed more from a distance after this.

6. There have been various forks, attempts to update, attempts to replicate (many IOS installers can be made to replace all IOS with custom versions of whatever base the like, which would include functionally replicating darkcorp, cioscorp and other things in this vein but also with more modern cIOS takes, and there have been some that are still ongoing to this day squashing little bugs and annoyances mostly). 1.1 I believe is the last generally "official" one, various people suggesting some forks, no forks as far as I am aware* are as good as one of the better homebrew installs that do the functionally thing if you are insisting on this path.

*the ?corp approach died off in the mainsteam wii hacking scenes very early on but there might still be some dark corner of an unknown forum somewhere where it was considered unfairly put out to pasture.

Re: apps that rely on stock IOS/hackmii installer. To the best of my knowledge all the trouble apps here are obsolete really save for the hackmii installer that is artificially restricted to needing stock, though it was done to save them headaches form weird and wonderful IOS combinations that people might cook up. As many people consider it an essential part of a homebrew machine then you get to debate the tradeoff of not having it, or having it to install and then replacing all your IOS with cIOS and calling the homebrew channel (which I think was mainly concerned about having a stock IOS30, though sadly a popular IOS to use) a wash.

Final note. If you will permit a proverbial take you by the shoulders and shake you .
I get the appeal of using the "official" disc channel, I get the appeal of neogamma (believe me I love boring and basic text lists to select from an go rather than the fancy animated covers, art and whatnot favoured by many in the wii scene if the other loaders are anything to go by). Let go of "comfortable" and embrace stuff that actually works™. This means look into what large SD card and large USB options can do for you, sadly nothing is quite as basic as neogamma in that but you can still largely effect a text list. Your 4 year old sibling and 104 year old grandpa can learn to navigate a loader (assuming you don't have forwarders and such installed to make it even easier) and you certainly can too.
At some point someone might come back, realise the Wii is basically dead (nobody is expecting updates at this point, and if somehow there is one to probably sort some silly privacy or payment laws that pop up for a technically active service. Compared to back when then updates were every few months which mean redoing hacks for all those which is tedious), the Wii U is dead (it also benefited from custom IOS, see vWii, so that can trouble some aspects here), homebrew has reached a settled/stable point for the most part and thus construct some kind of best of all worlds with fully custom cIOS, easy wiiware/vc, suitably modified versions of installers/homebrew channel that don't care (assuming it is not a whole new menu setup), recreate whatever installers various flavours of ROM hack wanted to use over patch the disc/iso/files within approach, modded disc support where relevant, hopefully modded menu to allow no need of a wiimote/sensor bar to select for gamecube controlled stuff... Pending that glorious day (by the way offer of beta tester for one going for that) then just go with handful of cios, bootmii boot2 if you can, USB/SD loaders and such that is the mainstream way.
https://wii.guide/ https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ https://gbatemp.net/threads/best-wa...i-for-windows-official-support-thread.207126/
All those should get it done fairly painlessly.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning,Sir.:)

1. I heard that DARKCORPs is the only way to load backup directly via disc channel. Is it true? YES
2. Does it require modchip? NO

3. NeoGamma can load backup via neogamma channel only (but not via disc channel). Is it true? YES
4. Does it require modchip / darkcorps ? NO

5. Is DARKCORPs still safe to use today (in terms of chance of bricking and game compatibility)? MAYBE
6. Is v1.1 the latest and safest version? MAYBE

Darkcorp Modding is completely safe like making a "new" Wii with Ohneschwanzenegger or installing some downloaded Themes without having Priiloader or BootMii or installing / tinkering with different Region System Menu IOSes and that kind....so,no Risk,no Fun.:P

Ok,that was the funny Part.

Any Benefit of Darkcorp Modding today ? None.
Any Risks ? If you know what you doing - None.Otherwise - maybe very high.
Is it recommended today ? - Not really.

By the Way,loading Game Backups
through DARCORP / Disc Channel,the Loading Speed is with 3x instead of 6x !!

Backup Disc Loading is possible with Neogamma too if you want to do this.
Or with USBLoader GX too.:)

Please Note,this all depends of the Drive of your Wii,some Models / Drives can not read burned DVD-R...

Thank you and have a very nice Day,my dear Sir.😉

• Haha
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over