Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
frogmyster3 said:
I know the 3DS has new tech in it but are Nintendo ones for selling handhelds higher than their consoles?

When the Wii is only a very mildly upgraded Gamecube? Why not? The Wii should be dirt cheap at this point... they probably could've sold it for $200 or less at launch, and still made a profit. The 3DS on the other hand, is vastly superior to its predecessor and needs to be sold higher initially.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
$336 US isn't bad for this system, I can afford this and a good number of games(2-3), looks like I'll be importing the system since I'll be underbudget due to the price for the system and up to 3 games to start, I was expecting to spend over $700 for the system and games, but the excess will just go to accessories.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
$336 US isn't bad for this system, I can afford this and a good number of games(2-3), looks like I'll be importing the system since I'll be underbudget due to the price for the system and up to 3 games to start, I was expecting to spend over $700 for the system and games, but the excess will just go to accessories.

You know it'll probably be region-locked? You really want to have to keep putting out the extra money to import games? Besides, it's likely to not have much of a gap between the North American and Japan release date. Why bother importing at all?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Hop2089 said:

You know it'll probably be region-locked? You really want to have to keep putting out the extra money to import games? Besides, it's likely to not have much of a gap between the North American and Japan release date. Why bother importing at all?

I don't have a definite source but I have imported the DSi at launch and has seen the region locked features and the game quality differences between the US and Japanese DSiware, I can conclude that region lock is very likely on the 3DS for the exclusive games, DS support will still be region free. I'm used to the costs of importing these days, back when I was younger, I actually was shocked at the cost of imports and worse the standard cost of some classics in Japan, in the mid 90's several games costed over $100 just for the game itself and these were standard Japanese prices not the inflated total from importing at the time.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
I don't have a definite source but I have imported the DSi at launch and has seen the region locked features and the game quality differences between the US and Japanese DSiware, I can conclude that region lock is very likely on the 3DS for the exclusive games, DS support will still be region free. I'm used to the costs of importing these days, back when I was younger, I actually was shocked at the cost of imports and worse the standard cost of some classics in Japan, in the mid 90's several games costed over $100 just for the game itself and these were standard Japanese prices not the inflated total from importing at the time.

It won't just be the downloadable "3DS Ware" that gets region-locked this time, though. The DSi wasn't successful enough relative to the Phat/Lite to justify releasing any good cartridge games as DSi-exclusives, so there's only been like 4 of those. And DSi-enhanced titles can still be played on a normal DS without losing much... in nearly all of them, the DSi features aren't worth jive, anyway.

But since the 3DS will have its own new line of cartridges games, they'll all be region-locked from day 1. You'll have to keep importing them for the life of the system... downloadable content is a bit different, as the price difference isn't usually extreme, and there's no shipping/etc. But I wouldn't want to import cartridges indefinitely; especially when there's rarely much difference between the Japanese and American versions other than language.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
1upm4n said:
Cheese and crackers. I'm gonna wait till the price drops and hope its not a big letdown like virtual boy.

This is the musings of some business type guy who seems to know very little about the games industry and it's from the last day of E3, just after the 3DS was announced. I'd take it with a bucketload of salt.

As for importing, I think I'd be happy to buy only US games on import. They're cheaper and come out much earlier.

1upm4n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
1upm4n said:
Cheese and crackers. I'm gonna wait till the price drops and hope its not a big letdown like virtual boy.

This is the musings of some business type guy who seems to know very little about the games industry and it's from the last day of E3, just after the 3DS was announced. I'd take it with a bucketload of salt.

As for importing, I think I'd be happy to buy only US games on import. They're cheaper and come out much earlier.

Hey im no business type guy. I just dont want fail for expensive prices.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Hop2089 said:

It won't just be the downloadable "3DS Ware" that gets region-locked this time, though. The DSi wasn't successful enough relative to the Phat/Lite to justify releasing any good cartridge games as DSi-exclusives, so there's only been like 4 of those. And DSi-enhanced titles can still be played on a normal DS without losing much... in nearly all of them, the DSi features aren't worth jive, anyway.

But since the 3DS will have its own new line of cartridges games, they'll all be region-locked from day 1. You'll have to keep importing them for the life of the system... downloadable content is a bit different, as the price difference isn't usually extreme, and there's no shipping/etc. But I wouldn't want to import cartridges indefinitely; especially when there's rarely much difference between the Japanese and American versions other than language.

Depends, 1st party titles, I understand what you are saying, but it's the 3rd party titles I'm thinking more of, a good 95% of those I play never hit the states at all, I also am a connoisseur of those obscure and niche games that would never be released in the US.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
1upm4n said:
BlueStar said:
1upm4n said:

I mean the mangled translation in the OP isn't news about the price of the 3DS, it's just what some business analyst predicted on the last day of E3. It's old news and just idle speculation.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mezut360 said:
FireGrey said:
I don't believe this source but i still think the price is going to be $300 AUD

ds was around 300
dsi was 300
now dsixl is 300

pretty cheap i guess since it's a new thing

I hope you're joking, or talking in a weird currency.

DS Phat was 149 at launch.
DSi was 169.
DSi XL was 200.

300 is huge for a Nintendo handheld...
It's too much for kids, which is essentially the target audience for the DS, and it costs as much as a PS3...

This is all a bad dream.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So the March release was a speculated release date too, even if a Big N employee was the one to imply that -- so then they lied?
And games wise, america tends to provide 89% of the shovelware, so the ones importing won't be missing THAT much XD
The price might be that of the Wii on launch, 250 USD, but even that might be speculating.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Stop talking like this is a new revelation of a likely price, its just a figure some random guy pulled out of his ass at the end of E3. It was reported on English sites at the time and no-one paid it any attention. A month later and someone's found a Japanese blog that posted a translation of it at the time, retranslated it in to English and people are acting like its really the price or date.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
kaz_abdin said:
Hmmm... 250 dollars (£170) seems rather worth it imo considering the specs of the console compared to the PSPgo which is still £210 in the shops lol.

you should know how the conversion rates go when it comes to games $250 = £250 that is the way it is in europe anyway.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
mezut360 said:
FireGrey said:
I don't believe this source but i still think the price is going to be $300 AUD

ds was around 300
dsi was 300
now dsixl is 300

pretty cheap i guess since it's a new thing

I hope you're joking, or talking in a weird currency.

DS Phat was 149 at launch.
DSi was 169.
DSi XL was 200.

300 is huge for a Nintendo handheld...
It's too much for kids, which is essentially the target audience for the DS, and it costs as much as a PS3...

This is all a bad dream.

$300 for a Japanese DSi at launch (24,900 yen) and I think its 300 Australian Dollars at launch in Australia, he's actually correct in the prices,.

1upm4n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
1upm4n said:
BlueStar said:
1upm4n said:

I mean the mangled translation in the OP isn't news about the price of the 3DS, it's just what some business analyst predicted on the last day of E3. It's old news and just idle speculation.

Idc what the price is, the price is eventually dropped over time. Everyone knows this. Also gotta let time go by just in case it does fail like 360's did when they were released.

tuddy666

Trophies
XP
Country
There's no confirmed release date or price, yet; though I cannot see the 3DS Launch price being much more expensive than the Wii's launch price (£180) or the PSP Go's current price (around £200-£230, depending on where you look); I also cannot see it being cheaper than the DSiXL, which is currently around £150. So price wise, an estimate between £150-£220 is pretty sensible, I suppose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo