Hacking Riivolution-like app for backup disks?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if they did add a usb loader that kept track of if that wii was used to install the game, it would have to store this data somewhere. and somebody could just find a way to edit that data and tell the program that it installed every game on the HDD.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nice. It's good that these things have been changed, so that more people can use riivolution, even if they're pirates.

You misunderstand. These things were not changed. They are in effect for the currently released copy, with the exception mentioned at the bottom.

But about the ohci modules...
IOS242 uses IOS36 as a base, and IOS36 never had any OHCI modules to begin with, and these 2 OHCI modules were definetely present in the IOS242 after I had extracted it from my Wii's NAND.

I used the offline downloader to get the files the installer needed, and it didn't download the OHCI modules.
And my Wii had no internet connection, so the installer couldn't grab them from there.
And I didn't have IOS57 or IOS58 installed when I installed IOS242, so the installer couldn't grab them from there.
And FSToolbox and Wad Creator aren't going to add the OHCI modules themselves when I dumped IOS242 (that would be very weird if they did...)
So the only place left where the installer could look for them is embedded with the installer itself.

Clearly you are missing the part where the offline downloader grabs IOS 56? Line 18, 19, and 20 in Downloader.py should set you straight. Remember, these are hex numerals, so 0x00000038 = IOS 56

You were only developing the GUI?
I think you've been mislead by somebody, and I'm not surprised either. You might want to talk to the other devs about this (not sure how far you'll get though...)
To be honest, I fell a bit sorry for you. I've also been mislead by people a couple of times in my life and it pissed me off.

I am sorry, but the burden of proof here lies upon you. While neither Aaron nor tueidj have been forthcoming with the source, I am privvy to the development chat, and they have never hesititated to answer any of my questions. Currently they are having much luls at your expense. I however, appreciate your willingness to get things accomplished, even if our purposes do not agree. I will believe them over you for obvious reasons.

I was however wrong about which IOS the OHCI modules came from. I just further had a look and compared IOS242's OHCI's modules against that of IOS57 and IOS58. They're not EXACTLY the same, but they seem to be almost identical to the ones found in IOS58, and the OH1 module in IOS57, but the ones in IOS242 have an older official timestamp than the ones in IOS58, but they are almost 100% identical, so they are official Nintendo code.

Either there's an older version of IOS57 than v5404 that I have to hunt down, or they exist in a IOS that is a bit older than IOS57 and IOS58.
Or this timestamp could have been tampered with to mislead anyone who discover it though, I'm not sure, but it could be possible, given the amount of other sneaky stuff that's been found.
The sizes of IOS242's OH1 module is exactly the same size as the OH1 modules found in IOS57 and 58, so there's no homebrew stuff added to them, meaning it's 100% Nintendo code.

See above. IOS 56

What I don't get though, is why you guys decided to be so sneaky and nasty towards softmods. What exactly did you have to gain from doing all that?
[/spolier]

Nothing tangible. Members of our group vary from ambivalent to anti-pirate. Thus, the project was created with the agreement that we would respect everyone’s wishes in their releases, which is why the Zero4 release is lax and the other planned releases are less lax.

I see the motive. So it's mainly for people who do not want to mod…

Yes.

But still, why should people with softmods be explicitly excluded?

People with softmods can still use WiiScrubber with a little effort. They are not excluded from the content, only the method we prepared.

Shouldn't everyone be "allowed" by you guys to use it?
After all, it could be a very useful tool for modifying games, if only everyone were able to use it.

Agreed, and it still is. Certainly if you are skilled enough to dissassemble the IOS, you are skilled enough to create a clone for yourself. A very simple Riivolution was created very easily within the first month of the project, though it couldn’t replace files larger than the original. You could make one yourself with your knowledge if you are unhappy with ours.

And IMO, the main reason people took your edited game files for Fatal Frame 4 path, and patched the iso themselves, and "pirate" that as you say, was most likely because you guys tried to stop them in the first place.

Had you guys not added all the anti-piracy stuff, then they would have been able to use the patch the correct way.

This is absurd. There are people who own the game, and people who do not. People who own the game have no need for a softmod with our patch. People who don’t own the game can either buy it (and I suppose many did as we sold out many stores), or pirate it (as many others did as well - I’m personally fine with that, it’s good name recognition).

However, there is not a single person who owned the game, magically unbought it, and then pirated it, as you suggest. There is absolutely no basis for saying we “increased” piracy. And if we had not added the anti-pirate code (which I may add, was actually REMOVED, along with the piracy code), there is again no basis for saying that more people would have magically bought the game and piracy would have stopped completely.

That is an argument from fallacy, a bare assertion fallacy, an Ignoratio elenchi, a fallacy of single cause, and …. why I am listing these? Anyone can see your last statement is made out of frustration and makes no sense. There is absolutely no way the release of the Zero4 patch with Riivolution engendered MORE pirates than releasing the patch for use with softmods would have. At absolute WORST, it is exactly equivalent in terms of piracy, and plus in terms of original disc owners. Please keep to comments about the actual program which can be solved through evidence and discussion, and if necessary, proof by either party in some acceptable form (but this shouldn’t be necessary now that I’ve pointed out IOS 56, unless there are further points you haven’t brought up which concern you.)

[edit: fixed the tags]

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_letter_a said:
But about the ohci modules...
IOS242 uses IOS36 as a base, and IOS36 never had any OHCI modules to begin with, and these 2 OHCI modules were definetely present in the IOS242 after I had extracted it from my Wii's NAND.

tueidj said:
You're surprised because you're wrong. There's no ninty code in the .dol, certainly not the oh0/oh1 modules.
Wrong.

I was however wrong about which IOS the OHCI modules came from. I just further had a look and compared IOS242's OHCI's modules against that of IOS57 and IOS58. They're not EXACTLY the same, but they seem to be almost identical to the ones found in IOS58, and the OH1 module in IOS57, but the ones in IOS242 have an older official timestamp than the ones in IOS58, but they are almost 100% identical, so they are official Nintendo code.

Either there's an older version of IOS57 than v5404 that I have to hunt down, or they exist in a IOS that is a bit older than IOS57 and IOS58.
Or this timestamp could have been tampered with to mislead anyone who discover it though, I'm not sure, but it could be possible, given the amount of other sneaky stuff that's been found.
The sizes of IOS242's OH1 module is exactly the same size as the OH1 modules found in IOS57 and 58, so there's no homebrew stuff added to them, meaning it's 100% Nintendo code.

What I don't get though, is why you guys decided to be so sneaky and nasty towards softmods. What exactly did you have to gain from doing all that?
Dude, stop before you embarrass yourself any further. IOS36 most definitely does have oh0/oh1 modules. If for some reason anyone believes otherwise and can't actually be bothered to check, consider the following points:
- IOS36 was used by most homebrew back in the day. Including homebrew that uses USB storage (not everything uses the hacky ehci module).
- The bluetooth module is a USB device, handled by oh1. How would the wiimote work without oh1?
- The LAN adapter is a USB device, requiring ohci drivers. IOS36 was used by SSBB, Mario Kart, and a heap of other games. Did they not support the wired adaptor?

Have you even looked at the original IOS36 modules?
All these claims of "anti-piracy" are bullshit, and just show how little you actually know. Maybe somebody who is competent will decide to have a look and see why you're wrong.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
There has got to be a way you guy's can add some sort of USB loader that will only work on the wii that was used to install the game though. That would keep with the projects anti piracy stance while letting people keep their nigh on impossible to get hold of, very expensive, and almost as illegal as pirated original game safe. Well just as illegal if you actually play it.
Sure we could. But that requires effort, and I consider other things to be more important (like finishing v3 of a certain project that has been in progress for nearly 6 months).

mariobros1

Trophies
Website
mariouniverse.co.cc
XP
Country
da_letter_a said:
This anti-piracy stuff offends me, especially the DIP blocking, as that seems to be a direct attack at damysteryman and I, along with cIOSCORP.
Some may even call it self-righteous. If Nintendo themselves cannot stop any pirates, why do other people think that they can?

Ditto
happy.gif

mooseknuckle2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laugh.gif
This thread makes me laugh. Everyone is complaining that their pirating desires aren't handed to them on a silver platter. How can you complain about the hard work these guys put into adding functionality to original disk users? If you don't like it, just scrub your levels into your ISO and add to your USB drive (takes about 1 minute). Alternatively, you could write your own app/cios with usb support.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
crwys said:
Reviving a dead thread.....

So this won't even work with Mod-Chip users?
No, it should work with a ModChip, maybe even with a WODE (in theory, didn't test it). ModChips trick the Wii, so that it's thinking that a real game is inserted. If the Riivolution-Team didn't add any checks for ModChips in the App, I don't see why it shouldn't work, since the Wii and the App treat the DVD like a real game. Though games with BCA-Protection (NSMB Wii) can (or proberly will) cause problems with Riivolution. As far as I understood, Riivolution handles the BCA-Check, but it's coded for real discs. And to place the BCA in the right place, so that you Backup is realy a 1:1-Backup, like a real disc, you would need to overburn it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except searches for adding content to ios threw wii scrubber shows way too many thread topics....Someone needs to make a guide and have it stickied into place.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
crwys said:
Reviving a dead thread.....

No, it should work with a ModChip, maybe even with a WODE (in theory, didn't test it). ModChips trick the Wii, so that it's thinking that a real game is inserted. If the Riivolution-Team didn't add any checks for ModChips in the App, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Though games with BCA-Protection (NSMB Wii) can (or proberly will) cause problems with Riivolution.

Thanks.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
crwys said:
No, it should work with a ModChip, maybe even with a WODE (in theory, didn't test it). ModChips trick the Wii, so that it's thinking that a real game is inserted. If the Riivolution-Team didn't add any checks for ModChips in the App, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Though games with BCA-Protection (NSMB Wii) can (or proberly will) cause problems with Riivolution.
The exact nature of what was included in RVLution is unclear, but it is known that modchips cause errors (not known with how many games, but confirmed for NSMBW within test group). The Riivolution loader thingy uses its own set of checks (BCA included), only some of which are "ignored" by modchips.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WODE with .wbfs game partition only doesn't work on FAT32 neither did a backup (brick blocked) same goes with D2Ckey the original works as expected.

Edit
Dumped with Uloader on pendrive and saved BCA now boots with WODE

Edit2:
NVM most games work off hdd with WODE it just seems to be picky when it wants to load them .wbfs all working fine now.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
Nice. It's good that these things have been changed, so that more people can use riivolution, even if they're pirates.
(stuff)
Can you at least provide an uncompressed .dol so that DLA can inspect it? Then you can prove that you aren't lieing, or the people who told you that are lieing to you.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nice try. I was given access to the source shortly after the previous incident, so I can say for sure they weren’t lying to me and that da_letter_A was full of shit. Rather like your blatant attempt to nab something you could thieve the functionality from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1