Hacking Riivolution-like app for backup disks?

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You'll actually have to ask our drive guru Erant about that.
The first beta of DVDX automatically detected if a modchip was installed and decided which mode it would use then (patched IOS or DVD Video commands). It could reliably detect all modchips that still allowed DVD Video mode and I'm pretty sure that he's able to detect most modchips since most of them do a shitty job at emulating a Wii disc. They still work though since that's already enough to trick ninty's software into believing that an original disc is inserted.
I'm not too sure about the drive emulators though.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TempusC said:
Sven has no reason to lie about his programming ability.
I am not doubting him, I am just wondering about the extent of the detectability and how much of a threat it could be.
There is indeed no reason to doubt the skill of anyone listed in the credits of such magnificent works as Bootmii and the HBC, you guys have proven many times to outperform Nintendo's attempts at locking down their console.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. Can't we put this discussion to bed? This topic is months old and badly derailed, I'd push for a lock.

1. Riivolution does not support backup methods for technical reasons.
2. Riivolution is closed source.
3. Ranting about the morality of piracy is off-topic. No one cares what you do.
4. If you feel left out by Riivolution's "lack of features", then either do your own work to fix it or wait patiently for someone else to look at it, don't rant at the original program's developers.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What the ???

Riivolution replaces files from the disc on the fly with files from sd card. That's what it does, right? Where's your problem guys? You can replace files with WiiScrubber and use the same patches that are created for Riivolution. And did you see this:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=213311
There's an usb loader in development that loads from extracted files. That's almost the same as a Riivolution that loads from usb.

There's absolutely no reason to bug the Riivolution people to get the source to integrate their code into usb loaders. If i would add on-the-fly patches to usb loaders, i would write it differently anyways. I wouldn't even need to write any IOS code for that, oggzee's fragments list for FAT and NTFS loading is powerful enough to do that.

svpe said:
[...]
And there also is a legit reason for refusing to work with crapIOSFAIL: They are patching IOS on-the-fly. You cannot do that unless you are really sure that the IOS currently running really is IOS37 revision $whatever.

Thanks for the info, i wondered how it works. That is actually a very good reason to not work with something else than the exact IOS version and revision it was written for.

Fat D said:
QUOTE(svpe @ Mar 22 2010, 01:28 PM) [...]
(modchips are quite easy to identify, we can already find fakesigned IOSes and detecting SNEEK isn't rocket science either).
[...]
Are you talking about a specific kind of Modchip (Flatmod, drive emulator, drivechip) here or is this so for every chip out there? For if those chips can be easily detected, I wonder why Nintendo did not try to do so again after Error #001 was fixed.

I could write some code to at least detect some modchips. But i would need to have a disc in the drive. 001 and BCA are not handled correctly on most modchips.

Nintendo did update their 001 check once or twice, some chips and some cIOS are not compatible with the 001 check in some newer games. But why nintendo is not checking the return values of some di commands doesn't make sense to me, many of them are different from the return values of IOS. That would be good way to get at least all current cIOS versions out of the game. Which feeds a new theory of mine: Nintendo isn't fighting cIOS, everything anti-piracy they do is anti-modchip. Proove me wrong.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Nintendo isn't fighting cIOS, everything anti-piracy they do is anti-modchip. Proove me wrong.

I need to agree, they could easily add code into each game at a diff location that tries to run things from cIOS and if it runs then they make the game fail. It would be a quick simple fix that would be a pita to fix, diff per game and too long winded for a lot of people to bother trying with for a lot of games.

It would be a cat and mouse game with every release.

As far as I can tell (with the exception of kongnutz) Nintendo go after companies making profit whether it's modchips or Action Replay/Freeloader type things. They seem to also not like patches to games (SSBB springs to mind)

Figures show the easier it is to softmod a Nintendo console, the more they sell.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If they are not fighting softmods, where does the 002 error come from? I have not heard of that appearing on a chip, much less encountered it with one. Disc loading from extracted files sounds awesome by the way.
But I agree that we are drifting off topic. Not that this topic matters at all, since it is obvious there will not be any way to run this but the use of an entirely different tool or the workaround with repacking ISOs. Which in turn would be less of a hassle if wbfs_file had replacement tools. Which might be too much of a hassle to add. Is there a command line disc editor?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Fat D said:
If they are not fighting softmods, where does the 002 error come from? I have not heard of that appearing on a chip, much less encountered it with one. Disc loading from extracted files sounds awesome by the way.
But I agree that we are drifting off topic. Not that this topic matters at all, since it is obvious there will not be any way to run this but the use of an entirely different tool or the workaround with repacking ISOs. Which in turn would be less of a hassle if wbfs_file had replacement tools. Which might be too much of a hassle to add. Is there a command line disc editor?

002 error is not only wrong IOS used, it's also triggered if a too low revision used. So 002 error is an attempt to enforce disc updates i guess.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Nintendo isn't fighting cIOS, everything anti-piracy they do is anti-modchip. Proove me wrong.
Seems to be the case. The only time they've jabbed directly at cIOS is when 4.2 included those stubs. And that was pretty much the weakest possible attack they could have made.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fileswapping from USB.
1 - dump a game
2 - change a file
3 - update the fst.bin and boot.bin
4 - play the game
5 - rinse and repeat
turnaround time is ~1 minute or less to change a file and start the game to test that changed file

video:
http://rapidshare.com/files/366887788/out-9.mp4

fst & boot.bin changer
http://rapidshare.com/files/366907497/fst_creator

the fst & boot.bin may not be 100% accurate. but it works perfectly for what it is intended to do here. make a backup of your original just in case.

Baltasar

Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
fileswapping from USB.
1 - dump a game
2 - change a file
3 - update the fst.bin and boot.bin
4 - play the game
5 - rinse and repeat
turnaround time is ~1 minute or less to change a file and start the game to test that changed file

video:
http://rapidshare.com/files/366887788/out-9.mp4

fst & boot.bin changer
http://rapidshare.com/files/366907497/fst_creator

the fst & boot.bin may not be 100% accurate. but it works perfectly for what it is intended to do here. make a backup of your original just in case.

Would you like to explain how you load this from usb when you're not creating an iso out of it(also what files are necessary to launch it)?
This fst&boot changer is it possible to use with windows?

Looks like a really nice way to try out the different levels because my SD card reader died yesterday:(
Also the Crediars method of dumping games would be great to know the name of, or is it unofficial?

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
The goal of the Zero4 patch was never to prevent piracy - pirates do fine on their own.
I'm sorry, but if code was added to the app that deliberately prevented it from working with 'backups' and USB loaders, then yes, one of the goals of the Zero4 patch was to prevent piracy. Attempting to pretend the app can only have one 'goal' is a bit deceptive and lends no credibility to your argument.

For any of you that might of missed it and would prefer to hear it straight from the horse's mouth...

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/special...cfm?artid=21109

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
What the ???

Riivolution replaces files from the disc on the fly with files from sd card. That's what it does, right? Where's your problem guys? You can replace files with WiiScrubber and use the same patches that are created for Riivolution.
Not in the case of NSMBWii

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Bumpman said:
WiiPower said:
What the ???

Riivolution replaces files from the disc on the fly with files from sd card. That's what it does, right? Where's your problem guys? You can replace files with WiiScrubber and use the same patches that are created for Riivolution.
Yes, in the case of MSMBWii. Anything Riivolution can change, CAN be changed by using WiiScrubber and a DVD Burner. ANYTHING. The only advantage Riivolution has over manually replacing the files (other than not needing to modify the ISO) is that Riivolution can use files larger then the original files more easily (if I recall correctly)

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toejam316 said:
Bumpman said:
WiiPower said:
What the ???

Yes, in the case of MSMBWii. Anything Riivolution can change, CAN be changed by using WiiScrubber and a DVD Burner. ANYTHING. The only advantage Riivolution has over manually replacing the files (other than not needing to modify the ISO) is that Riivolution can use files larger then the original files more easily (if I recall correctly)

I think the only advantage for Riivolution is that it is faster. Instead of repacking the iso, (and in my case, compressing it back to wbfs for usb loaders) all you have to do is add files to the sd card. I just wish it wasn't so anti-pirate.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toejam316 said:
Bumpman said:
WiiPower said:
What the ???

Usually the game crashes when starting up after changing the levels.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill