Hacking Riivolution-like app for backup disks?

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
Nice try. I was given access to the source shortly after the previous incident, so I can say for sure they weren’t lying to me and that da_letter_A was full of shit. Rather like your blatant attempt to nab something you could thieve the functionality from.
You sir, are an idiot. Why in the hell would you think that we would try to steal your damn code? I think your just trying you hide your guy's asses.

Remfin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remfin said:
Bumpman said:
You sir, are an idiot. Why in the hell would you think that we would try to steal your damn code? I think your just trying you hide your guy's asses.May I direct you over to the Riivolution release thread where people are demanding source so they can steal it and put it in USB loaders?

Or how about any of the many sites on the Internet that were (still are) stealing stuff like the HBC and editing it to credit themselves while selling it?

...I have yet to see a post demanding the source.
Oh, and give it over PM to DLA.
QUOTE(TempusC @ Mar 22 2010, 03:55 AM)
No, he’s right. Pirates don’t steal, that would be wrong of them. My apologies for ever doubting you.
...Why are you assuming stuff like that when we are trying to see if you are using nintendo code, and thus if your installer is illegal.

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the other thread I just honestly wondered why functions weren't included, I had no idea it would be all that. I almost feel guilty for asking.
smile.gif

By the way, that last comment makes absolutely no sense. whether it's ninty in the installer or somewhere else hid and compiled, your project is under a lot of scrutiny and will be till the source is released. This is a nice little project legal or not, but, sometimes you have to prove yourself for any kind recognition among the mass.

release ??

1.) Stingy butts if you don't, oh well patch the iso, go somewhere else for a fix.

2.)Hey thanks, you guys are great and awesome if you do.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just wanted to state I think it's sad that the homebrew community has resorted to this level of civil fighting. I'm a proponent of open software, interoperability, and compatibility. I think stuff like HBC, RawkSD, Riivolution, are fantastic ways to expand the Wii beyond it's limited capabilities (also known as

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well said, that's all I was trying to say also, but as you all know had you read the other thread, I'm retarded.
smile.gif

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dteyn said:
I just wanted to state I think it's sad that the homebrew community has resorted to this level of civil fighting. I'm a proponent of open software, interoperability, and compatibility. I think stuff like HBC, RawkSD, Riivolution, are fantastic ways to expand the Wii beyond it's limited capabilities (also known as

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Dteyn said:

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bumpman said:
IIRC, It WOULD work just fine with cIOSCORP if you are using a retail disk, otherwise you get things like 002 errors when using backup disks. Same with modchipsIIRC (In Internet Chat Relay), no.
QUOTE[02:28] Hay Aaron. Does running Riivolution on a retail disc with a CORP'd 37 IOS work? Some guy claims it does.
[02:30] No, and he's just speculating.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy and theft are 2 totally different things.

A pirate that would never have bought something doesn't take anything away from a company. A thief does. You can't compare the two unless you are naive and uneducated.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:

A pirate that would never have bought something doesn't take anything away from a company. A thief does. You can't compare the two unless you are naive and uneducated.
oh, it's technically not stealing

i guess it's okay then

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just chiming in to say that this argument is stupid. cIOSes most likely don't work because Riivolution probably expects certain blocks of code to appear at certain offsets/modules, and because cIOSes can change these around, there's no way to find which part of the code to patch. And because there are multiple cIOSes out there, it's just easier to support the official one only. USB loaders can probably support file replacement quite easily by themselves, if not now, then with a new cIOS that does it for them. (I guarantee if this is necessary, somebody will make one eventually. Be it Waninkoko or Hermes or whoever.)

Also,
Slimmmmmm said:

Please don't.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ChokeD said:
By the way, that last comment makes absolutely no sense. whether it's ninty in the installer or somewhere else hid and compiled, your project is under a lot of scrutiny and will be till the source is released. This is a nice little project legal or not, but, sometimes you have to prove yourself for any kind recognition among the mass.
This is all just because one ignorant person made an assumption about the old build. If you read carefully about how he (incorrectly) guessed it worked, you'll see why not installing anything blows his theory out of the water.

Funny how I don't see anyone accusing TT of using copyright code in HBC. Especially when it's been documented on the hackmii blog that they have access to legit, signed TMDs that can give them full access to all the wii's hardware without running any software exploits.
(I'm not accusing them myself; I know well enough why that method is unnecessary.)
People also use waninkoko's cios installers all the time without questioning their content. They download most of their content from NUS, but who knows what might be included in the installer itself?
If you suspected Windows or OSX to contain someone else's copyright code, do you think the maker would willingly hand over a copy of the source code for you to look at?

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And here we go again...

Some people seem to never understand the difference between "anti piracy" and "not wanting to support piracy". They always think there's always either "pro piracy" and "anti piracy". This isn't like black and white. There are more different opinions.
We decided not to support piracy for a very simple reason - the full names of various "members" of TT are well known. We just don't want to be associated with piracy. None of us cares if you pirate >9000 games and play them on your Wii. That's your decision and not ours. We just don't want to be the ones who directly wrote the code that allowed you to do that. Believe me, if we really were anti piracy you'd have a much harder time at installing HBC or even using the HackMii installer when we detected that you are a pirate (modchips are quite easy to identify, we can already find fakesigned IOSes and detecting SNEEK isn't rocket science either).

Why do you even care about this application? You can _already_ do what this allows you to do yourself with all your great warezloaders. Just directly replace this files in the ISO file. This application just allows people who still buy their games to do the same thing you've been able to do for many months now. Yes, it may be a bit more convenient but your "load games from hdd" is probably a bit convenient too, isn't it?
smile.gif

And there also is a legit reason for refusing to work with crapIOSFAIL: They are patching IOS on-the-fly. You cannot do that unless you are really sure that the IOS currently running really is IOS37 revision $whatever.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
svpe said:
[...]
(modchips are quite easy to identify, we can already find fakesigned IOSes and detecting SNEEK isn't rocket science either).
[...]
Are you talking about a specific kind of Modchip (Flatmod, drive emulator, drivechip) here or is this so for every chip out there? For if those chips can be easily detected, I wonder why Nintendo did not try to do so again after Error #001 was fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.