Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

idn

Trophies
XP
Country
Trying to install Retroarch for the first time and I cannot get anything to load. I keep getting 0D0CD724 bad read from unmapped memory when I try to load the Retroarch channel. At this point I have to hard reset. I've got the latest files from the OP and placed them on my SD card as described. I've tried with and without assets downloaded with the same results.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm doing wrong, but I've followed multiple videos and tuts and am failing. Thanks for the help.

It seems the latest version is borked. I just tried 10-08 and 10-07 and both crash. This one seems to still work:

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wiiu/2018-10-04_RetroArch_rpx.7z

If the problem persists in more builds it might be wise to tell the devs about it.

@MalusCalibur

Garbled icons means you're missing your asset files. But maybe the problem is the same as ours, just a different manifestation. Try version 10-04 above.

Last edited by idn,

ZeroBuffoonery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems the latest version is borked. I just tried 10-08 and 10-07 and both crash. This one seems to still work:

If the problem persists in more builds it might be wise to tell the devs about it.

@MalusCalibur

Garbled icons means you're missing your asset files. But maybe the problem is the same as ours, just a different manifestation. Try version 10-04 above.

Thanks for the help. Figures the first time I try is just unlucky. I tried 10-07, 10-06, and 10-05 and all failed. Should have tried one more. Got 10-04 up and running. I appreciate your time.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - new to all this Wii U homebrew stuff but though I'd give it a try, in order to play emulated games on the Gamepad for comfort and convenience. However, I'm running into some major trouble getting RetroArch to actually work...

I've gone through all the early steps to enable custom firmware through Haxchi (plus subsequently establishing an autoboot into it so i can go directly to the Homebrew Launcher) and installed the Homebrew Channel via WUP GX2. No problems here.

But RetroArch itself is the troublesome area. I downloaded the latest version of the 'RetroArch_rpx' ZIP, extracted it as instructed into the SD card, and found the entire slew of cores (as well as retroarch.rpx itself) within the Homebrew Launcher. Wanting maximum convenience, I also got hold of the RetroArch Channel and installed that (seemingly successfully) with WUP GX2. Trying to launch the Channel, though, briefly flashed up some 'RetroArch' loading screens before immediately booting me back out to the Wii U menu.
The Retroarch Channel should work? try and install this version and see if its the same? https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wiiu/2018-10-04_RetroArch_rpx.7z

Abandoning that, I tried launching retroarch.rpx from within the Homebrew Launcher, but to no avail - after a short time loading it merely re-shows the Homebrew Launcher but now sans any and all of the apps (just the blue screen with bubbles and 'Homebrew Launcher' in the corner), forcing me to close the software with the Home button and then requiring a restart of the console as further attempts to start up the Launcher have the same result immediately.
IIRC the Retroarch.rpx is still bugged? so stick to loading any of the cores instead.

Launching a RA core directly from the Homebrew Launcher seemingly accesses the interface, but with garbled icons and an apparent inability to recognise any directories besides the root 'sd' and 'usb', meaning I cannot load any ROMs nor alter the assets file path (as I have obtained the assets ZIP file but wherever I extract it, it doesn't seem to do anything). Starting up a core (I was testing with NEStopia in this case) in this way also briefly flashes up an error message - something about being unable to save a config file, and certainly no such file seems present within the RetroArch folder(s) when examining the SD card.
The assets.zip needs to be extracted to "SD:\retroarch\media"

Last edited by ploggy,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wiiu/2018-10-04_RetroArch_rpx.7z

@MalusCalibur

Always report that stuff on our Discord please. That way we know in real-time if there is a problem.

Reactions: depaul

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, I talked to quarktheawesome and I think we should stay the course with the current PPC bounty. He will communicate to you guys later his intent. The basic expectation is that pretty soon simias will have somewhat of a foundational basis for the dynarec system together (along with a somewhat working x86 x64 dynarec). Then it will be up to quarktheawesome to add a 32bit PowerPC dynarec to that using the same system. I think this has the highest chance of success and definitely the quickest way to go about things.

I agree, I've been following that bounty for some time, can't wait to see what you guys have in store :P

Reactions: depaul

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's been a couple of commits today related to networking on the Wii U:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/c2112c4cbfec679b22db994d3b880e31994687f0
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/f00f2e3ccf4027c240f25f7f38164b89103a0b34

Though I'm not sure if these two fix netplay altogether on the U or not, so take this as a grain of salt.
I been quietly waiting for this to be merged :P apparently It doesn't completely fix Netplay but it does fix some bugs the WiiU has been getting.

I have noticed Network speed is slow on WiiU, downloading cores through the Online Updater takes quite a bit longer than on the Switch. I think I remember @QuarkTheAwesome saying it was possible to get faster Network speeds on WiiU but I cant remember if he said what the solution was.. I think he said something about it using SDK?? I don't know?

I did manage to connect my WiiU to my Switch yesterday (Contra Nes) but only once :/ said failed to connect everytime after, heh.. there wasn't any lag though :P

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I been quietly waiting for this to be merged :P apparently It doesn't completely fix Netplay but it does fix some bugs the WiiU has been getting.

I have noticed Network speed is slow on WiiU, downloading cores through the Online Updater takes quite a bit longer than on the Switch. I think I remember @QuarkTheAwesome saying it was possible to get faster Network speeds on WiiU but I cant remember if he said what the solution was.. I think he said something about it using SDK?? I don't know?

I did manage to connect my WiiU to my Switch yesterday (Contra Nes) but only once :/ said failed to connect everytime after, heh.. there wasn't any lag though :P
Now that you mention it, yeah actually the Wii U downloads speeds are atrocious.
It takes ages for it to download one of the Arcade cores (FBAlpha/Mame), and not even mention trying to download the assets from the Online Updater. D:
Hopefully this fixes that at least, netplay might come soon or later in a more stable form :P

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now that you mention it, yeah actually the Wii U downloads speeds are atrocious.
It takes ages for it to download one of the Arcade cores (FBAlpha/Mame), and not even mention trying to download the assets from the Online Updater. D:
Hopefully this fixes that at least, netplay might come soon or later in a more stable form :P
Yeah I only really noticed how bad after updating the Switch Cores then the WiiU.. really noticeable lol

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah I only really noticed how bad after updating the Switch Cores then the WiiU.. really noticeable lol
Yeah, the Wii U also takes its time to switch cores and run content as well, compared to the Switch.
I'm not sure if this is due to the lack of SDL/OpenGL libraries on the Wii U or something, but the speed differences between the two are really noticeable.

MalusCalibur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Retroarch Channel should work? try and install this version and see if its the same? #Link#

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - by the time I saw this response that file had been removed and newer updates had been added, so I tried the latest one; to the same results and thus the same problem...

IIRC the Retroarch.rpx is still bugged? so stick to loading any of the cores instead.

Fair enough. Certainly going directly through the cores is the closest I've had to getting it to work.

The assets.zip needs to be extracted to "SD:\retroarch\media"

Indeed, as I gleaned from one of the tutorials, but it still doesn't seem to work - I've enclosed a screenshot of the 'media' folder (that I had to create since it isn't there by default) and all the files that are in it, in the hope you can help identify the problem since the menu icons are still all garbled.

This time around, when I used the 'Load Content' option, I was able to navigate to a folder on the SD root I'd called 'roms', but within that folder Retroarch claimed there were no further files, when in fact there is another subfolder called 'NES' filled with NES roms (again, I'm testing all this with just the NEStopia core on the SD card). I tried moving all the roms to retroarch/downloads (as the 'directories' options menu in Retroarch pointed to this folder, even though it didn't exist at the time, so I thought it might better recognise it), but doing so made file navigation with 'Load Content' stop at the SD card root again, claiming no further files.

I've tried using the inbuilt 'scan folder for compatible files' option, but to no avail, and I've tried using the online updater for the assets, likewise to no success.

I'm out of ideas!

Attachments

• Assets.png
    Assets.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 166

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - by the time I saw this response that file had been removed and newer updates had been added, so I tried the latest one; to the same results and thus the same problem...

Fair enough. Certainly going directly through the cores is the closest I've had to getting it to work.

Indeed, as I gleaned from one of the tutorials, but it still doesn't seem to work - I've enclosed a screenshot of the 'media' folder (that I had to create since it isn't there by default) and all the files that are in it, in the hope you can help identify the problem since the menu icons are still all garbled.

This time around, when I used the 'Load Content' option, I was able to navigate to a folder on the SD root I'd called 'roms', but within that folder Retroarch claimed there were no further files, when in fact there is another subfolder called 'NES' filled with NES roms (again, I'm testing all this with just the NEStopia core on the SD card). I tried moving all the roms to retroarch/downloads (as the 'directories' options menu in Retroarch pointed to this folder, even though it didn't exist at the time, so I thought it might better recognise it), but doing so made file navigation with 'Load Content' stop at the SD card root again, claiming no further files.

I've tried using the inbuilt 'scan folder for compatible files' option, but to no avail, and I've tried using the online updater for the assets, likewise to no success.

I'm out of ideas!
Inside your "MEDIA" folder should be ANOTHER folder called ASSETS, then inside that ASSETS folder you extract the assets.zip.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Looking at your pic I can see your using an older Assests.zip (there's too many files in your media folder) :P this is my media folder
Untitled.jpg
Assets were updated recently, so your going to want to grab the newest Assests.zip from the buildbot site..
https://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/frontend/assets.zip

Also.. Try deleting your Retroarch.cfg, you wont believe how many times that has fixed a random issues people have :P

I'm out of ideas!

Inside your "MEDIA" folder should be ANOTHER folder called ASSETS, then inside that ASSETS folder you extract the assets.zip.

There's no Assets folder.. just retroarch/media.. See my pic above :)

Last edited by ploggy,
Reactions: DarthDub

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at your pic I can see your using an older Assests.zip (there's too many files in your media folder) :P this is my media folder
View attachment 146290
Assets were updated recently, so your going to want to grab the newest Assests.zip from the buildbot site..

Also.. Try deleting your Retroarch.cfg, you wont believe how many times that has fixed a random issues people have :P

Weird!
View attachment 146290

WEIRD!

Look at mine xD
upload_2018-10-11_11-52-43.png

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mmmm perhaps something's borked with either RetroArch, the assets folder or with the configuration files.
I'd recommend you do one of the following things (or all of them in order if one fails):
  • First and foremost, update all of your current cores and setup to the latest nightly found in http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wiiu/
  • Once updated, try using the Online Updater and try to download the "assets" package through there.
    One thing worth noting though, I heard that there's an issue with the online updater on Wii U which makes the assets folder to get stuck at 30% and then start the download over again.
    Let it do this for 2-3 times, and then reboot the Wii U.
  • Once that is done, be sure to go to Settings -> Directories and establish the Path to the Assets folder as /retroarch/media/assets.
    If you already had it like that, change it to /retroarch/media/, then save and reboot RA, and set it back up again to make sure the .cfg file is updated properly.
  • If all else fails, as Ploggy said, I recommend that you delete the .cfg file to ensure you are running something as close as a clean install is related
This should get you back on track, if you are still experiencing issues with the assets after this, be sure to let us know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot