Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only person I can think of which might be able to do it is FIX94, since I know he has a lot of experience in both Wii and Wii U coding, and coding in general, but I don't think he might be interested in doing such a fit.
That'd be such a great swansong for the Wii U for sure.

Agreed, it'd be a helluva way to top off the Wii U emulation scene

Reactions: depaul

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does that pcsxr emulator port already exist for WiiU?

If so, would it maybe be an idea if (with you guys' consent) that we change the WiiU dynarec bounty into a port of that emulator to a libretro core so that it can run in RetroArch WiiU instead? Is that what you guys want? Let me know.

Because alternatively that WiiU dynarec bounty might keep languishing. If you guys would feel just as content with PCSXR as say Beetle PSX, this could be a good solution that might get us results sooner.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,
Reactions: depaul

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does that pcsxr emulator port already exist for WiiU?

If so, would it maybe be an idea if (with you guys' consent) that we change the WiiU dynarec bounty into a port of that emulator to a libretro core so that it can run in RetroArch WiiU instead? Is that what you guys want? Let me know.

Because alternatively that WiiU dynarec bounty might keep languishing. If you guys would feel just as content with PCSXR as say Beetle PSX, this could be a good solution that might get us results sooner.
Isn't simias working on the Dynarec for it though?

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This may be one of the most ignorant posts i've ever read about the Switch.

Wii U is very capable and interesting with its double screen setup and touch input, but it also uses a very outdated and hard to deal architecture, while the Switch uses a chip that is documented to hell and back and is very easy to deal with. Is perfectly understable that developers are jumping out of the Wii U ship and writing pearls of ignorance due to jealousy the only thing that accomplishes is telling those developers that dealing with the Wii U fabase is not worth it.

Lol it was supposed to be @depaul pretty much finished my sentence the Wii U is an AIO Nintendo Console excluding 3DS and Switch.
However my post is hard facts about the console even though I was just joking for a laugh and yes I am aware of G3 based PPC Architecture but enough of me S***ing on Switch the post is about Retroarch Wii U Dev.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno, porting WiiSX and Not64 would actually be great but, wasn't this talked about already? iirc it was mentioned when the need for a Dynarec was revealed

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't simias working on the Dynarec for it though?

Yeah but the first implementation of it would be x86 x64. The PowerPC dynarec would be a secondary thing since it has its own bounty, so while it's true that no work can be done on that without the underlying system in place (that simias working on), then we would face another problem by trying to find somebody wanting to make a 32bit PowerPC dynarec implementation.

So yeah, I was just polling you guys to see what you would want. Maybe it's more pragmatic to repurpose the WiiU dynarec bounty into a core port of something existing like PCSX-R for WiiU for RetroArch instead. It is entirely up to you guys. Just exploring solutions with you guys so hat you can get around to enjoying PSX on your WiiU sooner rather than later.

ZeroBuffoonery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to install Retroarch for the first time and I cannot get anything to load. I keep getting 0D0CD724 bad read from unmapped memory when I try to load the Retroarch channel. At this point I have to hard reset. I've got the latest files from the OP and placed them on my SD card as described. I've tried with and without assets downloaded with the same results.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm doing wrong, but I've followed multiple videos and tuts and am failing. Thanks for the help.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah but the first implementation of it would be x86 x64. The PowerPC dynarec would be a secondary thing since it has its own bounty, so while it's true that no work can be done on that without the underlying system in place (that simias working on), then we would face another problem by trying to find somebody wanting to make a 32bit PowerPC dynarec implementation.

So yeah, I was just polling you guys to see what you would want. Maybe it's more pragmatic to repurpose the WiiU dynarec bounty into a core port of something existing like PCSX-R for WiiU for RetroArch instead. It is entirely up to you guys. Just exploring solutions with you guys so hat you can get around to enjoying PSX on your WiiU sooner rather than later.

For me I have no problem re purposing the WiiU bounty as long as the end result is a fullspeed (not buggy) PS1 Emulator.
If that means dropping the Beetle requirement then have at it...
About PCSXr on WiiU, no, currently there is no native port of PCSXr on WiiU :( which is why I'm always pushing for the PCSX libretro Core to be compiled for the WiiU. Sure there's WiiSX/r that can be run on the WiiU through vWii but it'll never be as good as a WiiU PS1 Core. The big problem is no one's willing to take a stab at compiling the core for WiiU :/

Again I know compiling it wont make it magically fullspeed but at least there's a start point same for Mupen64.

So.. yes to changing the Bounty from me.. and the WiiU's still here!!

(If you make it, they will come) :yayu::yayps3: LOL

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Whatever works best and/or is the simplest to do, would be good. Gotta start somewhere though, so it's all good. Would it use better plugins than the Wii iterations use (the sound is pretty awful on there to be honest)? I can't wait ^_^ Do what needs to be done, but as long as a good SPU and GPU plugin can be ported, it'd be awesome.

Sorry if it's all disorganized:

- Want the best of both worlds, essentially, if at all possible.
- I know a Dynarec is being worked on, and would help with speed

Should we make a poll and thread maybe?

Last edited by the_randomizer,
D

Deleted User

RetroArch Launcher channel boots me back to the Wii U menu every time I launch it. I have every file required for it on my SD card. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: SnakeEater

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Oh wait I think simias' work is an entirely separate bounty, isn't it?

As for the repurposing thr PPC dynarec bounty, I'd love to give my opinion, but I didn't even donate to the bounty, so I have no word there :lol:

SnakeEater

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really Cool Bro.
I will try this Tut you posted thank u so much.

Edit: But where can i overclock it?
Or is it already build in , in the latest version?

Last edited by SnakeEater,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there, I talked to quarktheawesome and I think we should stay the course with the current PPC bounty. He will communicate to you guys later his intent. The basic expectation is that pretty soon simias will have somewhat of a foundational basis for the dynarec system together (along with a somewhat working x86 x64 dynarec). Then it will be up to quarktheawesome to add a 32bit PowerPC dynarec to that using the same system. I think this has the highest chance of success and definitely the quickest way to go about things.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

MalusCalibur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there - new to all this Wii U homebrew stuff but though I'd give it a try, in order to play emulated games on the Gamepad for comfort and convenience. However, I'm running into some major trouble getting RetroArch to actually work...

I've gone through all the early steps to enable custom firmware through Haxchi (plus subsequently establishing an autoboot into it so i can go directly to the Homebrew Launcher) and installed the Homebrew Channel via WUP GX2. No problems here.

But RetroArch itself is the troublesome area. I downloaded the latest version of the 'RetroArch_rpx' ZIP, extracted it as instructed into the SD card, and found the entire slew of cores (as well as retroarch.rpx itself) within the Homebrew Launcher. Wanting maximum convenience, I also got hold of the RetroArch Channel and installed that (seemingly successfully) with WUP GX2. Trying to launch the Channel, though, briefly flashed up some 'RetroArch' loading screens before immediately booting me back out to the Wii U menu.

Abandoning that, I tried launching retroarch.rpx from within the Homebrew Launcher, but to no avail - after a short time loading it merely re-shows the Homebrew Launcher but now sans any and all of the apps (just the blue screen with bubbles and 'Homebrew Launcher' in the corner), forcing me to close the software with the Home button and then requiring a restart of the console as further attempts to start up the Launcher have the same result immediately.

Launching a RA core directly from the Homebrew Launcher seemingly accesses the interface, but with garbled icons and an apparent inability to recognise any directories besides the root 'sd' and 'usb', meaning I cannot load any ROMs nor alter the assets file path (as I have obtained the assets ZIP file but wherever I extract it, it doesn't seem to do anything). Starting up a core (I was testing with NEStopia in this case) in this way also briefly flashes up an error message - something about being unable to save a config file, and certainly no such file seems present within the RetroArch folder(s) when examining the SD card.

I've tried both the most recent 'nightly' ZIP and the most recent 'stable' one, both with the exact same results.

Apologies for the essay - I'm at my wits end with it! If anyone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong (I have followed the tutorials as best I can but there is a fair degree of vagueness about each one), I would be incredibly grateful...

Thanks for your time!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...