Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Ewpb

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't bother using Retroarch - half of the emulators are massively out of date.

What do you use on the Wii U instead? Most of the cores on the Wii U Retroarch are fully matured with zero changes needed.

The more modern system cores are just people trying to ram a circle into the Wii Us square hole.

blackkawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because its still wip and being worked on, once the current bugs are fixed it will be on the Online Updater don't worry :D
In the meantime you can grab the latest build from my sig ;)
There is a compability chart for the PS1 cores on the Retroarch Wii U?

I couldnt find any, i only found the charts for the WiiRSX

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a compability chart for the PS1 cores on the Retroarch Wii U?

I couldnt find any, i only found the charts for the WiiRSX
No, there isnt a Compat list for the Core.. but for the most part all games I've tried (and there's been quite a few) work.

But your welcome to start one if you want :)
I know Gran Turismo 2 Arcade Disc freezes after a few screens and so does Syphon Filter 2. (these are WiiU specific issues) those same games run just fine on the PC version of the PCSX Core.

But for the most part Compat should be the same as the PC PCSX Core, which is very good.. Speed is the main issue with the WiiU Core :) I'd say 95% of the PS1 Library are fullspeed with the Unai PCSX Core, just a handful of games are still below fullspeed.

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, there isnt a Compat list for the Core.. but for the most part all games I've tried (and there's been quite a few) work.

I know Gran Turismo 2 Arcade Disc freezes after a few screens and so does Syphon Filter 2. (these are WiiU specific issues) those same games run just fine on the PC version of the PCSX Core.

But for the most part Compat should be the same as the PC PCSX Core, which is very good.. Speed is the main issue with the WiiU Core :) I'd say 95% of the PS1 Library are fullspeed with the Unai PCSX Core, just a handful of games are still below fullspeed.
I played these two games you said starting them with the bios then I see which version of the game I installed and notice it worked normally
The only game I've tested so far and noticed one thing was Dance Dance Revolution, they all load perfectly on the Unai Core PCSX using downscaling and loading without the BIOS because with the BIOS the game freezes when starting the dance.
Post automatically merged:

pay attention friend you will put the bios that I am sending you there in cores/system after that you will run gran turismo arcade mode disc 1 with the bios on and with dynamic disabled create a specific save config for the game now after going through all home screen where you after choosing the track press home and turn on recompile now the game will work normally this method works on the unai pcsx and also on the rearmed pcsx the version of the game I tested this was European and there in the video I left it in NTSC work perfectly

Attachments

• bios ps1 pcsx unai and pcsx rearmed.zip
    943.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by Zeox-gamer,

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@ploggy we need get ds core (MelonDS or DeSmuMe or DraStic) for Wii U Retroarch. Most of ds runs great and I don't see why there is no core for that system.
That would be cool, but in my case, I still hope that one day I will have the N64, Saturn or Dreamcast on the WII U
however the N64 and Saturn are the ones I most wanted to see run on the console
it's a shame wii has n64 wiiu doesn't have it

In the end we will make do with what we can emulate

Reactions: L0w and FanNintendo

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ploggy we need get ds core (MelonDS or DeSmuMe or DraStic) for Wii U Retroarch. Most of ds runs great and I don't see why there is no core for that system.
It's the same reason we don't have a Dreamcast/N64/Saturn Emulator on WiiU... no Open GL and no PPC Dynarec for those systems if the WiiU was ARM based we would have all those Emulators by now probably..
So unless someone is willing to write a PPC Dynarec for them we wont see them on WiiU sadly :/

Ask in the Retroarch devs in the Discord, they will tell you the same thing. It sucks I would LOV to see those consoles running on WiiU and believe me I've asked them All the developers of those Emulators t one time or another to do it :P

We got lucky with PS1 due to Lightrec supporting PPC and not requiring OpenGL

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's the same reason we don't have a Dreamcast/N64/Saturn Emulator on WiiU... no Open GL and no PPC Dynarec for those systems if the WiiU was ARM based we would have all those Emulators by now probably..
So unless someone is willing to write a PPC Dynarec for them we wont see them on WiiU sadly :/

Ask in the Retroarch devs in the Discord, they will tell you the same thing. It sucks I would LOV to see those consoles running on WiiU and believe me I've asked them All the developers of those Emulators t one time or another to do it :P

but they could do something with the n64 with the wii64, for example, improve it by supporting the unofficial wiiu pro controllers, as well as the parallel ones, just like the wiistation did, and risk changing the plugin, using heavier and more current ones nowadays, like working with what they have. ready for now

I saw that the Wiiu has good potential among all these emulators, the only one that can run on the Wiiu, even without the Vwii, is the PSP, apparently
Could you risk improving what already existed on the Wii like the Wii64 1.3 and the Wii64 Rice 1.3 is still the best way to play N64 on the Wii and Wiiu I remember I even saw a port of the Wii64 for the PS3, isn't the architecture PPC too?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but they could do something with the n64 with the wii64, for example, improve it by supporting the unofficial wiiu pro controllers, as well as the parallel ones, just like the wiistation did, and risk changing the plugin, using heavier and more current ones nowadays, like working with what they have. ready for now

I saw that the Wiiu has good potential among all these emulators, the only one that can run on the Wiiu, even without the Vwii, is the PSP, apparently
Could you risk improving what already existed on the Wii like the Wii64 1.3 and the Wii64 Rice 1.3 is still the best way to play N64 on the Wii and Wiiu I remember I even saw a port of the Wii64 for the PS3, isn't the architecture PPC too?
OK I will say N64/Wii64 is the most likely to get a WiiU port, but the only ones that could do that is either Extrems or Emukidid.. Extrems is the one currently maintaining Wii64 and is very knowledgeable about the Emulator but has no interest in WiiU afaik and Emukidid is the one who started porting Wii64 to PS3 but hasn't worked on it for a while.

But yea, Wii64 could be brought to WiiU if they were knowledgeable enough and was willing to do it. but it would be easier to just use vWii to load N64.

PPSSPP is a good Emulator on WiiU but Aliaspider has long stopped working on it, I think the plan was to get the port to a good enough state and pr the changes to the main PPSSPP repo so it could be kept updated, but the pr was never finished.

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/11001 <---this

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be cool, but in my case, I still hope that one day I will have the N64, Saturn or Dreamcast on the WII U
however the N64 and Saturn are the ones I most wanted to see run on the console
it's a shame wii has n64 wiiu doesn't have it

In the end we will make do with what we can emulate
Right they should make cores what is compatible or runs no matter and they can go back there re tune up the cores. That would be 12 years in nov 18 and it didnt take long for switch maybe 5 or 6 years.
Post automatically merged:

We got lucky with PS1 due to Lightrec supporting PPC and not requiring OpenGi didnt

I know dreamcast n saturn isnt going to happen and im sure n64 and the ds emu doing well at standard. i remember there was old loadiine you can do inject and get repacked after it works like fine almost like wiiflow spinwheel. LOL I think it been 10 years ago i modded Wii U crazy time fly

Last edited by FanNintendo,

blackkawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Then i can make a separated post for the chart and include your signature in it for the Unai core? To help more people find this core and help with the chart.

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
OK I will say N64/Wii64 is the most likely to get a WiiU port, but the only ones that could do that is either Extrems or Emukidid.. Extrems is the one currently maintaining Wii64 and is very knowledgeable about the Emulator but has no interest in WiiU afaik and Emukidid is the one who started porting Wii64 to PS3 but hasn't worked on it for a while.

But yea, Wii64 could be brought to WiiU if they were knowledgeable enough and was willing to do it. but it would be easier to just use vWii to load N64.

PPSSPP is a good Emulator on WiiU but Aliaspider has long stopped working on it, I think the plan was to get the port to a good enough state and pr the changes to the main PPSSPP repo so it could be kept updated, but the pr was never finished.

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/11001 <---this
but what I wanted to say is that there is a dynarec due to the fact that the Wii64 port is for the PS3, that is, the PS3 is not PPC as well as the WiiU?
As I mentioned before, the ideal for now would be to improve the Vwii emulators to be used on the Wiiu as a boot, having improvements from different plugins and support for the types of controls equal to Wiistation

About the PSP I mentioned it because there is already a Dynarec ready to be used in a future PSP core, which is the closest to being ported

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but what I wanted to say is that there is a dynarec due to the fact that the Wii64 port is for the PS3, that is, the PS3 is not PPC as well as the WiiU?
As I mentioned before, the ideal for now would be to improve the Vwii emulators to be used on the Wiiu as a boot, having improvements from different plugins and support for the types of controls equal to Wiistation

About the PSP I mentioned it because there is already a Dynarec ready to be used in a future PSP core, which is the closest to being ported
The PS3 is also PPC yes but that port never got to a point where we could see how well it ran, going by the attempt to port the WiiSX's Dynarec to WiiU I doubt it would go well :P

Improving Wii Emulators would be great and adding those features should be doable, but I'm more a fan of native Emulators personally :)

Aliaspider made the PPSSPP WiiU Jit himself iirc and going by PPSSPP WiiU performance has done a good job!

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The PS3 is also PPC yes but that port never got to a point where we could see how well it ran, going by the attempt to port the WiiSX's Dynarec to WiiU I doubt it would go well :P

Improving Wii Emulators would be great and adding those features should be doable, but I'm more a fan of native Emulators personally :)

Aliaspider made the PPSSPP WiiU Jit himself iirc and going by PPSSPP WiiU performance has done a good job!
I made a comparison between the Wiistation and the Wii64 because in the Wiistation we have support for any type of WiiU controller, whether parallel or not and it has a different video plugin than the Wiisx. The same could be done on the Wii64, supporting controls, whether parallel or not, and changing video plugins.

I'm also a fan of native emulators, but other than that the only Wii64 PPC dyrnarec that we have is through the PS3 port version, but improving what already exists is also a good option at the moment.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
vWii has some extra input lag, it affects everything that runs on it (wii games, homebrew, etc), that's why a native Wii U emulator like the PS1 Core is still superior than wiistation despite the lower compatibility. Unless someone found a way to fix the vWii lag.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
vWii has some extra input lag, it affects everything that runs on it (wii games, homebrew, etc), that's why a native Wii U emulator like the PS1 Core is still superior than wiistation despite the lower compatibility. Unless someone found a way to fix the vWii lag.
So native emulators would be better, but as I said above, you could try to improve the Wii64 as well since there is no N64 emulator in Retroarch, for example:
Wiistation has a lot of improvements even in control compatibility and the Wii64 could have it too but it's still stuck.

There is about input lag on the Vwii, I didn't have any, everything worked normally, like on the issue of input lag, I'll talk about it.
But as was said above, no one is interested in putting the N64 on the WII U, so it would be better to improve what already exists on the WII, even though it is not native, and improving one will be good for the other too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!