Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was there ever a Saturn core created for the Wii U? I think I may have read talk about it in the past….or was it a standalone proof of concept emu for vWii? I can’t recall.

Can somebody share it here if it was ever made into core form?
Nah, there has never been a Saturn Core compiled for WiiU, there was a standalone Saturn Emulator in the works back in the Wii days and could play some very light games but was never finished.

Reactions: Maxbeta

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Was there ever a Saturn core created for the Wii U? I think I may have read talk about it in the past….or was it a standalone proof of concept emu for vWii? I can’t recall.

Can somebody share it here if it was ever made into core form?
There was never a saturn emulator for wii u but there was already a saturn emulator for wii which was an abandoned beta that you can play some games using overclocking in vwii mode on wii u I think that if anyone is interested in programming they would be able to make it run better even if you have to use frame skip on wii u

liveswired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some light reading ;) (thanks to @Zeox-gamer for the link)

https://clownacy.wordpress.com/2024/01/10/porting-a-nintendo-64-emulator-to-the-wii-u-at-1fps/
Post automatically merged:

Does anyone have access to older versions of WiiU Retroarch builds? I used to be able to grab them from Archive.org but it seems they have removed them :/

I would like to have builds older than what's on the Retroarch Buildbot... pre 1.9.0.

If anyone has them or finds them can you PM me. Thanks :)
Thanks for sharing, maybe one day there is a flicker of hope that a Wii U N64 emulator may be running. I never thought anyone would ever try and Wii U owners would be stuck the okayish overclocked Wii 64 and Not64.

Reactions: ploggy

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for sharing, maybe one day there is a flicker of hope that a Wii U N64 emulator may be running. I never thought anyone would ever try and Wii U owners would be stuck the okayish overclocked Wii 64 and Not64.
It's true because it is much better to have your own emulator for the system than to use the previous ones, although I believe that both can be improved, but each one for its own system.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what would be the point of porting something that doesnt even run fullspeed on switch to a wiiu that is slower?...
Porting by itself would be pointless. Optimizing the port would not be. N64 at full speed has been possible on slower CPUs than the Wii U's PowerPC has for a long time now. A talented programmer (or small team) could make a full speed N64 emulator for Wii U and would likely start by porting an existing N64 emulator.

Clownacy's project is our brightest hope at the moment.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha really? damn :P
What's the version of the FBNeo rpx? 1.8.5 - 1.8.9? Support was removed officially for KI1+KI2 on Jun24 2020 so the closest build before that removal would be best...Thanks for testing :)
I haven’t tried any cores yet but a friend suggested to use the wayback machine and it seems to be working from my phone even.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020062...m/stable/1.8.9/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch_rpx.7z

Just change the build number for the one you want and hope for the best? Anyways, I’ll test after work but will leave this here in case anyone wants to try.

EDIT
=========
Tried Build 1.8.9 from June 19, 2020 and it crashes into a DSI error.

Not sure if I did something wrong or not but KI did not load.

I leave these here if anyone wants to test:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020062...m/stable/1.8.4/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch_rpx.7z

https://web.archive.org/web/2020062...m/stable/1.8.8/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch_rpx.7z

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpeg
    IMG_3942.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by Maxbeta,
Reactions: ploggy and cvskid

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I haven’t tried any cores yet but a friend suggested to use the wayback machine and it seems to be working from my phone even.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020062...m/stable/1.8.9/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch_rpx.7z

Just change the build number for the one you want and hope for the best? Anyways, I’ll test after work but will leave this here in case anyone wants to try.

EDIT
=========

https://web.archive.org/web/2020062...m/stable/1.8.4/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch_rpx.7z

https://web.archive.org/web/2020062...m/stable/1.8.8/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch_rpx.7z
friend we have to upload this and help put it back in the lost repository it may seem silly but it could be worth it

Reactions: Maxbeta and ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

EDIT
=========

Thank you I managed to grab the 1.8.8 build from the link you provided and managed to get KI 1 to boot, but it was just to a screen with red vertical lines at 9.81 fps :/ certainly not playable.

What problem PS1 games that are below fullspeed do you play?

Last edited by ploggy,

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you I managed to grab the 1.8.8 build from the link you provided and managed to get KI 1 to boot, but it was just to a screen with red vertical lines at 9.81 fps :/ certainly not playable.

What problem PS1 games that are below fullspeed do you play?

Too bad we haven’t been able to get it running with these old cores. :\ I will try some tests this weekend to see if anything can be done with 1.8.4 which is also an available archived download.

As for PSX Unai, I was last playing FFVii again and it ran spectacularly on the last build you shared with some minor frame dips during fmv that are not really showing any apparent slowdown.
I just wish something could be done about that bug with the red lines and visual garbage that appears if you try to force the core to a solid constant 60fps because it appears we can use antialiasing video filters with many games now and get them running optimally, but the bug is there. CapVsSNK Millionare Fight looks and plays amazing with one of these hires filters (EMX or something like that is the name) but there’s visual buggy garbage on the right half of the screen. I’ll have to take a photo later.

Knight of Time

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I just re-downloaded RetroArch for my Wii U, and I noticed PicoDrive save states are broken (if you make a save state, loading it causes the game to freeze). I tested this with Knuckles Chaotix & Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I just re-downloaded RetroArch for my Wii U, and I noticed PicoDrive save states are broken (if you make a save state, loading it causes the game to freeze). I tested this with Knuckles Chaotix & Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me?
I haven't had a chance to test myself but if your having issues with savestates can you post about it here?
https://github.com/irixxxx/picodrive/issues/120

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, I was going to say this the other day, did you see the new neo geo core for retroarch, geolith maybe coming out for wiiu, that would also be a good thing because there are neo geo rom formats that are not compatible with finalburn neo or mame 2003 and fba this would be more useful for playing the updated kof mod console versions without having to convert the rom (not all of them run)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I was going to say this the other day, did you see the new neo geo core for retroarch, geolith maybe coming out for wiiu, that would also be a good thing because there are neo geo rom formats that are not compatible with finalburn neo or mame 2003 and fba this would be more useful for playing the updated kof mod console versions without having to convert the rom (not all of them run)
Here's the Geolith Core (untested) try it and see if it works ok :)

EDIT: Ok took me a sec to get everything sorted but the Core does work (tried Metal Slug 5) but it ran like ass 44-46fps so no point, the Emulation is just too accurate for the old WiiU :P best to stick to the other NeoGeo Cores :D

It may run ok for the lighter games I suppose but I'll leave that up to you guys to mess with.

Attachments

• Extract to Retroarch folder.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by ploggy,

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here's the Geolith Core (untested) try it and see if it works ok :)

EDIT: Ok took me a sec to get everything sorted but the Core does work (tried Metal Slug 5) but it ran like ass 44-46fps so no point, the Emulation is just too accurate for the old WiiU :P best to stick to the other NeoGeo Cores :D

It may run ok for the lighter games I suppose but I'll leave that up to you guys to mess with.
the metal slug 5 is easy to emulate the final burn neo runs it 100% thanks for this core. Then I'll send my blog there I put a lot of covers and full sets to help people have personalized retroarch on any console it works well on the Wiiu too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto