1. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    I mean you were still right- the approximately zero people working on 3DS cores moved to Switch.
    Well, aside from Bubble2k and the others, but they've vanished off the face of the earth, or at least from GBATemp.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    And it's that reason why I remain cynical, I'll be sticking to the Android and/or PC version of RetroArch; the 3DS and Wii U versions are never going to get full speed N64 or PSX emulation anyway

depaul likes this.
  3. Plasmaster09

United States
    eh I'll do both
    besides, if I can turn my hacked 3ds into a portable emulator for decent PSX games, great 16 bit and basic arcade games and near perfect 8 bit games, I'm totally going to do it.

4. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    Speaking of arcade games. I'm a bit out of the loop, but are vertical arcade games like Donkey Kong now playable in retroarch on 3DS?

Last time I tried the screen was rotated sideways with no way of changing this.

Also the Virtual Boy core doesn't work at all for me. Virtual boy emulation on 3DS with 3D support, I can only dream...

Other than that I'm perfectly happy with the performance on 3DS. NES and SNES and GB/GBC/GBA run well for me. Sega's Master System/Game Gear and the Genesis too. Also PC Engine. That's the essentials covered.

For PSX, N64 and DOSBox I stick with my PC or Switch for now.

Retroarch's PCSXReArmed is currently surpisingly slow on Switch. It runs with overclocking, but that shouldn't be necessary. I previously used that emulator as a standalone on the openpandora handheld and it was much much faster, at a clockspeed of about 1 GHz.

Last edited by Reynardine, Mar 26, 2020
  5. Plasmaster09

United States
    Wait, GBA runs well on N3DS? Through which core? My n3ds xl comes tomorrow, and if RetroArch is up to the task of making GBA games run well, I'd be glad to know. Also, I know o3ds can't run it well anyway but every time I launch gpSP or its standalone clone citrAGB, I get an arm11 exception crash once I try to start a game. I put the BIOS in the right spot! Any ideas?
    Edit: As for vertical arcade games, I don't know. All I know is that there are a surprising amount of arcade cores and from what I've heard, the CPS cores run well, including CPS3 on n3ds. Arcade fighter time!

Last edited by Plasmaster09, Mar 26, 2020
  6. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    Well, recently I played a bit of Mother 3 on my New 3DS via retroarch. The core I'm using is gpSP.

I haven't updated retroarch in a while. Unscrewing the lid to get to the SD cart is super annoying...
    Maybe I'll take the time to do it now. But gpSP was running well with a nightly build from around September last year.
    [​IMG]

I only tested retroarch on those New 3DS models. I didn't bother running it on my original 3DS, it's probably too slow to be playable for most cores beyond NES.

I wish I had a way to quickly synchronize my savegames from 3DS, Switch and PC. Now that would be handy.
    Switch is way too bulky, so when going out I actually prefer playing on the trusty old 3DS.

Last edited by Reynardine, Mar 26, 2020
  7. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity
    Developer

Germany
    Because everything is software rendered + interpreter.
    Suddenly it doesnt sound too slow anymore for what it actually does ;)

Reynardine likes this.
  8. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    If the stuff about fixing the GBA core is correct and people are experiencing much fewer crashes, then color me excited. I would rather have a folder of ROMs rather than needing to install titles to my home screen.

Also just because of how dumb it is, I would love to see FFVII running on my 3DS haha

Reynardine likes this.
  9. notrea11y

notrea11y Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
  10. wonkeytonk
    This message by wonkeytonk has been removed from public view by x65943, Mar 28, 2020, Reason: Off topic.
    Mar 26, 2020 Show
  11. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Maybe that's all that they can afford? Not everyone has the luxury of living in the United States.

It's certainly more portable than the Switch, soyboy!

Reynardine likes this.
  12. Plasmaster09

United States
    I have a Switch but I sure as hell ain't hacking it yet. It's definitely not safe to hack and I'm not blowing money on a jig.
    Plus my PC is medium quality- in order, quality goes toaster -> outdated school computer -> mine (decent, good enough to run Binding of Isaac but not to run Wii games on Dolphin) -> high-end -> $2000 or whatever gaming pc.
    Plus I can have freaking full speed PSX and SNES on a n3ds now, so why the hell not?

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  13. Silent_Gunner

United States
    PSX is full speed now? Or does it still have problems?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

14. Plasmaster09

United States
    Full speed with Unai and all that. There's bound to be some problems but if I remember correctly, for the games it works with (which is pretty many now) it works great.

15. HulkWogan

HulkWogan Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom

Portability isn't a factor, I wouldn't dream of playing outside of my home, I have other commitments.

Switch is plenty portable for me guy.

16. Plasmaster09

United States
    yeah but switch hacking is relatively... unreliable compared to 3ds
    3ds has easy softmod methods for the latest (and LAST) firmware
    switch has no softmod methods and the simplest method (which requires specifically owning an unpatched Switch and there's no way of knowing if it's got a "maybe patched" serial number) requires basically shorting it out and has a much higher risk of bricking.

17. HulkWogan

HulkWogan Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    @Plasmaster09 3DS was a great handheld, no question. The issue was user/users expecting new builds of homebrew for a handheld that is so old, nothing to do with quality or anybodies finances as the other member mentions.

18. Plasmaster09

United States
    it's not that I'm expecting anything new
    I'm just mildly annoyed that the cores optimized are so old- some of them are older than the 3DS itself!

19. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    The 3DS is a very weak system in terms of what it can run to begin with. There was a comparison with the Vita back when it came out, and the tech in the 3DS compared to the Vita was reaching the "ancient" date even back then.

Emulation has made great strides, but a large part of that probably had to do with the increased amount of computing power available as well. The Switch on the other hand has around the processing power of an Nvidia Shield (a little bit less iirc), which also allows for a lot more stuff to run on it.

Reynardine and Silent_Gunner like this.
  20. Silent_Gunner

United States
    You have other commitments, yet you wouldn't play the game system outside of your house?

Thy logic is of no sense!

21. HulkWogan

HulkWogan Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Is this reverse logic? when I am out I am doing adult things, working and the like. No time for gaming then young man, please refrain from diverting the thread any further from it purpose.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, available, features