1. Issac

Issac I
    Supervisor

Sweden
    Nice! There are something I've been interested in. And progress on locked achievements? I guess they've developed the achievement system some more then! It wasn't possible to have progress last time I was developing achievements :)

lordelan likes this.
  2. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Kinda neat, but I still wish they stuck to something more original and designed specifically with Retroarch quirks in mind, rather than jumping from one knock-off UI to another.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    So don't fucking use Snes9x 2010, it has Snes9x regular on it. Cry me a river and use standalone emulators or program one yourself. Sheesh. People sure love to bitch about RetroArch this when they're not being held at gunpoint to use it.

What cores run "worse"?

There's no Mupen64 Plus standalone
    There's no Beetle PSX standalone
    There's no DraStic standalone for non Android devices
    There's no Genesis Plus GX standalone

And they run worse? Gee, maybe don't use the outdated cores or a crappy PC, I can run all of these fine.

People are ingrates and love to bitch about something people provide for free

Last edited by the_randomizer, Mar 23, 2020 at 11:14 PM
    KirovAir likes this.
  4. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I can work my way around Retroarch, but it is not the easiest thing to initially figure out, and there are still features in there that I don't have a solid grasp on what it is that they truly even do. There are plenty of other little issues I've had with Retroarch or can recognize getting in the way of other and new users. It doesn't need to hold your hand, but Retroarch certainly could be considerably more user friendly than it is. Compared to the individual GX emulators you can play on a Wii or Wii U (Snes9x GX, FCEU GX, VBA GX, Genplus GX) where I have next to no questions about what options do what or where specific options would be located, there is definitely room for Retroarch to step up its game in terms of being more user friendly while still being as feature heavy as it is.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yes there is, it's for the Gamecube and Wii (and by extension Wii U). I prefer to use it for all my retro Sega gaming on the Wii U (as well as most individual GX emulators), and then only use Retroarch for the emulators that don't have individual emulators on the Wii U with the features I would also like (Pro Controller and Gamepad support mostly), so I'll use Retroarch only for stuff like Atari, MAME, Turbografx, Virtual Boy, etc. I'd use it for the other systems (NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA), if I felt that Retroarch was all around better than the individual emulators of those systems, but frankly, I stick to the individual emulators as they have all the features I need, brilliant compatability, and load indidvidual roms quicker. Not to mention I just love that the home screen on my Wii U has channels for each system emulator (with Retroarch in the bottom right):

[​IMG]

To anyone interested, the DS channel is actually just Loadiine, but loaded with only DS games and injects, I thought this to be a clever way to essentially give the Wii U a DS emulator when it doesn't exactly have a true one.

hug0-a7x likes this.
  5. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    As I've said, I'm not using Snes9x 2010. Retroarch 3DS doesn't have the latest by default, so I just said screw it and replaced it with the bubble2k option since all I had to do was essentially lie to Retroarch about what core it was.
    Snes9x and PicoDrive are just worse than the bubble2k ports, the nes emulators lag, Gambatte lags like hell on o3ds (I don't even know HOW) and mgba doesn't solve that problem, so yeah. Good thing there are standalones.

6. wonkeytonk

wonkeytonk Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    It practically defeats the whole purpose of an emulator, being so inconvenient and making you have to be on top of so much yourself.

7. the_randomizer

United States
    How the hell was I supposed to know you were referring to the 3DS? The 3DS is weak hardware, what did you expect? That's no reason to shit on the RetroArch devs, maybe someone else can do better?

If you don't like it, DON'T F*CKING USE RETROARCH. How hard is that to understand?

The 3DS hardware is from 2011, it's old, use something else.

Oh, is there one on PC? No, there's no standalone Genesis Plus GX on PC.

I never mentioned Wii U, I only talked about PC. Is bashing RetroArch developers a fetish on this board or what?

It's not their fault the 3DS is weak :lol:

Last edited by the_randomizer, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:17 AM
    KirovAir likes this.
  8. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    Perfect timing, haha. I was just thinking I could update my retroarch setup again when I saw this news!

I love retroarch, having all my classic game systems under one roof is super awesome!

the_randomizer likes this.
  9. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    And it's hardware hasn't been modern since around 2005. I know most people are running this on the N3DS, but come on, it's about as fast, for emulation, as a 2010 smart phone.
    You guys also need to stop blaming retroarch for you not knowing how to manage your files and paths properly. Most problems get resolved if you read the friggin' documentation.

10. the_randomizer

United States
    Well, in all fairness, the N3DS has an 800 MHz ARM CPU at its disposal, as oppose the O3DS having only a 268 MHz ARM CPU, and Snes emulation just doesn't do well without serious sacrifices to accuracy. Snes9x 2010 is also based off of a really old version of Snes9x, so it has to use a lot of speed hacks to get running right. N3DS would be a the better one to go *shrug*. I think people just hate on RetroArch because they have nothing better to do to get their jollies.

It doesn't help that the Snes9x 3DS has been abandoned either, as the original dev stopped work on it. It was so close to being perfect, and even started getting a better audio core.

11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I've been using this theme for the nes, snes, and genesis minis. it's been around for a while on that version.

12. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    While this is true, your post beforehand did not specify you were only talking about the PC, and many here are definitely talking about system versions including the Wii U version. But all the same, people airing their issues with Retroarch should be understandable and expected, when the retroarch devs try to put it on as many devices as possible, with as many emulator cores as possible, with seemingly as many options as possible; issues were always going to be a certainty. It's an ambitious program/project, but due to its ambition, it understandably is going to be prone to criticism. No one wants to hate on Retroarch, and the bashings don't come from nowhere. As a PC user of retroarch, you probably will have the least issues with Retroarch, which makes your responses here all the more understandable. But for others using Retroarch in a modded system, they're going to have their own issues that you're not going to relate much with. So I think if you recognize that, you might then understand why people on a site like GBAtemp, that specializes in modding consoles, will be discussing their issues with Retroarch builds for their consoles.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I like the Hacking the Kernel color scheme combined with that starfield one moving real fast! ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

*Flycast updates on hacked Switch intensifies*

Although, to be fair, I've been considering rooting my phone lately and possibly installing a better bluetooth driver, as that's apparently the reason why BT inputs can be so laggy on Android regardless of the controller you use?

VinsCool likes this.
  14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    It's been years since I used RetroArch on the 3DS. Isn't there the main Snes9x core as well?
    But since RetroArch was a bit strange to handle on the 3DS (back then) I prefered the Virtual Console afair.
    The 3DS was never a system to contain my "full rom collection" to begin with so installing just a few VCs for the few games I played there was fine.

15. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot ̶g̶b̶a̶t̶e̶m̶p̶ Heroin Addict

United Kingdom
    cool I use mednafen

16. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Good news.. But I've been using Ozone theme for like months now without issues. I'm playing mainly on TV and not the gamepad.

The feature "Download thumbnail on demand" doesn't work no matter what I do.

17. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    Ah neat. I've been using Ozone for a while now on the Switch. Neat to see it ported to upstream/other devices. It's a very nice UI, but a bit unintuitive here and there, which I mostly blame on RetroArchs UI in general being extremely unintuitive.

Looks and plays good tho.

18. MadMakuFuuma

MadMakuFuuma Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    agreed. i think im going to stick with xmb UI for now. at least i fixed in my mind where every option are, after all those years XD

19. the_randomizer

United States
    3DS can't handle Snes9x mainline, it's too weak

lordelan likes this.
  20. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Ugh! I am fine with what I have. No thanks.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, available, features