Homebrew RetroArch Switch

hallo23

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
About option 2, doesnt that corrupt my SD Card? And about option 1, im using ReiNX, can i use that method too?
fat32 should be ok. Normally only exFat has problems with corruption.

I don't think it works with Reinx atm. But maybe in the future.

Last edited by hallo23,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done it like a thousand times on roms from almost every system and never had corruption on Fat32. They were probably talking about on Exfat.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way of knowing that I have full RAM access? I'm using a using a forwarder for the nro and I can quit via the home button and then resume with no problems. Does that necessarily indicate I have full RAM access?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Unlocked all endings in Tekken 6. Now what...

I know! Fighting montage! ;)

Still - no sound. (Not the emulators fault - sound is fine there. :) ) Also probably the most boring Tekken 6 video yet. ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there any way of knowing that I have full RAM access? I'm using a using a forwarder for the nro and I can quit via the home button and then resume with no problems. Does that necessarily indicate I have full RAM access?
Yes there is.

Information>System Information>memory in megbytes should be something ****/6374 in retroarch. That means that it has access to the full memory.

Reactions: lordelan and Rune

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think that should work, yes.

I usually find a bin cue with mp3 files or ogg files, mount it with daemon tools, then create image from the virtual cd-rom with imgburn. Just select .bin/.cue as the output and make sure it generates a .bin file that has all the audio included.
I'll be sure to play around with what you said once I find the time (bookmarked your post). Thx again. :)

I got into the habit of always selecting
quick menu -> close content before loading content or quitting Retroarch. It seems to prevent most crashes.
Same here. I'm doing this since the Wii U port of RA.

Last edited by lordelan,

Yunkel70

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Unlocked all endings in Tekken 6. Now what...

I know! Fighting montage! ;)

Still - no sound. (Not the emulators fault - sound is fine there. :) ) Also probably the most boring Tekken 6 video yet. ;)

Yes there is.

Information>System Information>memory in megbytes should be something ****/6374 in retroarch. That means that it has access to the full memory.

So, as I said, I first launch the hbmenu.nsp that i've installed by following the method on the thread called "Homebrew Menu Loader 'Legal' NSP" (sorry, still can't paste the link 'cause I'm a new member here).

Then, when I check in retroarch Information>System Information>memory in megbytes, I do have the ****/6374 which means that it access the full memory.

And now, i'd like to know the process I have to follow to OC ram/GPU/CPU via sys-clk for my n64 roms. I understand that you need the title ID to configure per game in the config.ini and i can easily do this for switch games, BUT concerning my n64 roms, i don't know which ID to enter...

Maybe retroarch as its own ID and that's the one I have to enter ? But where can I find it ? If I do so, that means that it will OC ram/GPU/CPU in the same way for ALL the roms I have in retroarch?

Maybe I'm totally wrong ? Maybe I've missed something ?

Thanks for your help;-)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Does Castevania: The Dracula X Chronicles work on the PPSSPP core?
You are lucky that I was testing. :)

Game crashes on the intro cinematic, but following this compatibility thread of PPSSPP 'general' (http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3968) it can be skipped and the game then starts properly.

(No sound because of the way it was captured, in game there is sound. 3x resolution used.)

According to the same thread, there are other issues (/crashes) in game.

Some of them seemingly related to "media engine" which could, but afair can not be disabled in PPSSPP any longer.

From what I played, the game runs a little slow in IR-Jit (whats released as the beta build so far) with 1500 Mhz CPU overclock, and even slower with stock speeds.

Same goes for SOTN (can be unlocked within Castlevania - Dracula X Chronicles), which runs even slower - as soon as any effects are on screen.

MAX overclock does not make it all go away.

Jit proper (not publically released yet) can be activated (savestate), and partly works within the game, so there might be a usable performance boost in the future of this game on the Switch. From what I could tell (screen flicker, and failed redraws - Jit proper is not ready for a beta release yet), some parts ran fullspeed, but on some enemy interactions there were framedrops... we have to wait and see...).

is it currently playable? For the main game I'd say borderline unplayable. With 1x resolution and CPU overclock (1,5 Ghz+), maybe. And I dont know how often "media engine" related crashes happen in this game overall (see PPSSPP general compatibility thread).

Now buy me a beer. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: NFates

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
And now, i'd like to know the process I have to follow to OC ram/GPU/CPU via sys-clk for my n64 roms. I understand that you need the title ID to configure per game in the config.ini and i can easily do this for switch games, BUT concerning my n64 roms, i don't know which ID to enter...
Thanks for your help;-)
Whole can of worms thats too early to open. ;)

For N64 m4xw has released a build (Mupen64Plus-Next with GLideN64 3.0 Preview libretro core on his patreon page), someone fill me in, if this is more current, than whatever is in the nightly builds - please.

All those 'current' mupen cores use dynarec, which should be GPU assisted.

The conventional saying goes, that N64 should be "as good as it gets" with stock CPU and GPU. Maybe a little CPU overclock (which can be done in the retroarch menu itself (left most column in XMB style layout)).

GPU overclocking should not have to be done for N64 - being my point.

Thats something people will start asking about, when JIT for PPSSPP is released properly. Hence, can of worms to be opened then. Imho. ;)

If you still want to OC the GPU 'a little' (stick to 460 max imho - switches have been fried OCing the GPU in testing - i'd recommend the sys-clk plugin for _current_ atmosphere - with the following config file:
Code:
[0104444444441001]
handheld_charging_gpu=460
handheld_charging_usb_gpu=460
handheld_charging_official_gpu=460
handheld_gpu=460
Which only overclocks the GPU by a tiny bit.

The title ID you mentioned (and you see in the beginning of the config file), is the title ID of the game or 'launcher .nsp' you are launching hbmenu with. (You then launch retroarch from within hbmenu.)

The game you launch within retroarch doesnt matter. Has no ID you'd have to think about in that context.

The plugin simply thinks about this in 'Nintendo Switch terms' and activates if a certain switch 'game' (= you need to know the title ID of) is launched. The game also can be a hbmenu launcher nsp - as long as you know the ID of 'it'.

Current atmosphere allows you to launch into hbmenu by pressing R on any installed switch game (you can get the title ID of), same difference - this ID is what is needed.

Then the module activates the OC - while the 'game' is running. That the game then turns out to be hbmenu, and eventually retroarch, and then whatever rom you are loading - doesnt matter, from the switchs points of view, it is still the game you initially 'launched'.

All of that should probably go into to sys-clk plugin thread instead.

In regards to N64 roms - probably none of it is needed/wanted. (Only to get full ram, which you've already managed anyhow. :) (launch hbmenu via an installed game or nsp launch target - NOT via album)))

Last edited by notimp,

m4a2t0t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there some way to get thumbnails to show for .pbp files in psx? I have to use playlist buddy but can't get any game to show pics when making a playlist that way.

Games are named the same as the pictures and I used the same folder names as the retroarch thumbnail packs. Even selecting download thumbnails doesnt work.

EDIT: Apparently you have to have the roms folder named the same as the thumbnails folder. I named the roms folder the same as the thumbnail packs folder and they are now showing.

Last edited by m4a2t0t,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Make sure they are in .png format, and named exactly the same as the Name line in your lpls (play list files). Dont use names with special characters for testing. Should work. Also - look up folder schemes, thumbnails have to be within the thumbnails folder, within a systems folder (specifically named for every playlist) in there within a Named_Boxarts folder (Note the underscore).

Someone correct me, if there is something wrong with the switch build in that regard specifically.

How do you switch discs in PSX Eboots? Or is that impossible?
In pbp files? There is an in menu option in retroarch, once you are in the game. Open disctray, switch disk number, close disc tray. All within the game menu - while the game is running.

If you dont want to use pbps, same can be done with m3u files that "link" to your .cue sheets. Google around to find more in depth info.

Last edited by notimp,

Yunkel70

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Whole can of worms thats too early to open. ;)

For N64 m4xw has released a build (on his patreon page), someone fill me in, if this is more current, than whatever is in the nightly builds - please.

All those 'current' mupen cores use dynarec, which should be GPU assisted.

The conventional saying goes, that N64 should be "as good as it gets" with stock CPU and GPU. Maybe a little CPU overclock (which can be done in the retroarch menu itself (left most column in XMB style layout)).

GPU overclocking should not have to be done for N64 - being my point.

Thats something people will start asking about, when JIT for PPSSPP is released properly. Hence, can of worms to be opened then. Imho. ;)

If you still want to OC the GPU 'a little' (stick to 460 max imho - switches have been fried OCing the GPU in testing - i'd recommend the sys-clk plugin for _current_ atmosphere - with the following config file:
Code:
[0104444444444001]
docked_gpu=460
handheld_charging_gpu=460
handheld_charging_usb_gpu=460
handheld_charging_official_gpu=460
handheld_gpu=460
Which only overclocks the GPU by a tiny bit.

edit: And docked_gpu may even have to be deleted - if you want to use it docked. (Docked speeds are probably higher by default.)

The title ID you mentioned (and you see in the beginning of the config file), is the title ID of the game or 'launcher .nsp' you are launching hbmenu with. (You then launch retroarch from within hbmenu.)

The game you launch within retroarch doesnt matter. Has no ID you'd have to think about in that context.

The plugin simply thinks about this in 'Nintendo Switch terms' and activates if a certain switch 'game' (= you need to know the title ID of) is launched. The game also can be a hbmenu launcher nsp - as long as you know the ID of 'it'.

Current atmosphere allows you to launch into hbmenu by pressing R on any installed switch game (you can get the title ID of), same difference - this ID is what is needed.

Then the module activates the OC - while the 'game' is running. That the game then turns out to be hbmenu, and eventually retroarch, and then whatever rom you are loading - doesnt matter, from the switchs points of view, it is still the game you initially 'launched'.

All of that should probably go into to sys-clk plugin thread instead.

In regards to N64 roms - probably none of it is needed/wanted. (Only to get full ram, which you've already managed anyhow. :) (launch hbmenu via an installed game or nsp launch target - NOT via album)))

Ok thanks a lot that’s more clear for me now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi