Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

D

Deleted User

5500 is for japanese PS games, 5501 for US, 5502 for EU

In fact you can use any bios you want. I used SCPH1001.BIN since the 2000' and never got any problems. I did not played any Japanese titles but for EU and US that worked pretty well.

Pcsx still say Bios dont found or crash

Have you checked where the system directory point in your retroarch settings menu?

Reactions: mindglitch

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
In fact you can use any bios you want. I used SCPH1001.BIN since the 2000' and never got any problems. I did not played any Japanese titles but for EU and US that worked pretty well.

Have you checked where the system directory point in your retroarch settings menu?

Try copy using (not move) Vitashellv1.2 or if that fails copy direct using FTP

Patodox

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

1001 is US, the EU games say "no bios" to me when I don't have a XXX2.BIN in the folder

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
1001 is US, the EU games say "no bios" to me when I don't have a XXX2.BIN in the folder

Try copying the files over using the copy command of vitashell not the move command.
If that fails use ftp to copy direct.

There is a problem when transferring via usb regarding permissions set.

Patodox

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I have no problems with pcsx, I have the 3 bios files XXX0, XXX1 and XXX2. Even I have some games just with HLE bios and a different configuration files solves the problem

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
I have no problems with pcsx, I have the 3 bios files XXX0, XXX1 and XXX2. Even I have some games just with HLE bios and a different configuration files solves the problem

Retroarch will always take the first bios fle it finds so 1001 will be used. remove all psx bios and only leave the euro one.

ma16v3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this doesn't make sense to me. The 10/04 nightly will not load on my PSTV, but will load on my Vita. What broke? 10/02 works on both.

EDIT:

I can confirm that dynarec is causing frequent stalling. However, between the stalls, it is running great. Definitely happy to see we're almost there with GBA emulation. Keep it up, the finish line is in sight!

Last edited by ma16v3,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just gave Picodrive's 32X and SVP support a try using dynarec. Results are rather strange in that speed doesn't seem to depend on if the game is 2D or 3D. Overall it is comparable with the 3DS build but there are some bugs and issues not present in the 3DS build, some games with broken graphics which work fine on the 3DS build (most notably Mortal Kombat II), which I've detailed below.

Full Speed (maybe some issues)

Doom
Doom Expanded
Knuckles Chaotix
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
RBI Baseball '95
Shadow Squadron / Stellar Assault
Soulstar X
Tempo (minor sound distortion)
Toughman Contest (slowdown in menus)
WWF Raw (slow intro, in-game fine)
Virtua Racing (SVP version)
Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 / Parasquad

Good Speed, Sound Distortion

Motocross Championship (distorted sound)
Darxide (distorted sound)
Metal Head (distorted sound)

Slow

AfterBurner II Complete
The Amazing Spider-man: Web of Fire
Brutal Unleashed (slightly slow, distorted sound)
Cosmic Carnage
FIFA '96 (slightly slow, distorted sound)
Kolibri
Space Harrier (slightly slow, distorted sound)
Sangokushi IV (full speed in some areas, slowdown in others)
Star Trek Bridge Simulator (full speed in some areas, slowdown in others)
Star Wars Arcade
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Hamster
Virtua Racing Deluxe (play the SVP version for now)
World Series Baseball Starring Deion Sanders
WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game
X-Men (proto)

Broken

BC Racers (black screen after menu)
Blackthorne (works but broken graphics. Looks like a strange resolution?)
Gold Magazine 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples (black screen after Sega Sports logo)
Mortal Kombat II (full speed, but missing graphics in-game)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (black screen when starting match)
NFL Quarterback Club (exits to Vita menu after title)
Primal Rage (missing graphics in-game, identical issue to Mortal Kombat II)
T-Mek (in-game 'exception error')

Last edited by sj33,

Sphere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded psx emulator and installed in, took the bios file I had on my psx emulator on pc and ftped over, works and runs great playing final fantasy 7.
I even tried to get some cheats going from the cheat.zip file, unpacked it on pc and ftped over doesn't seem to work thought.

How do you make the cheats work?
I've beaten the whole game several times back in the day, just wanna breeze through it reliving the story. Anyone?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's also a problem with mame2000 and also retroarch 3ds in general. Switching games without restarting retroarch causes it to lock up/freeze. Might be a problem with handheld versions of retroarch overall.

Ppelle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for your help all... bios don't found don't appear anymore buuuuut... still dont charge games... when i select the game the emulator return to quick menu... what's wrong? :( the pcsx is incompatible with me?

FX3200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
add some others screens and ico

View attachment 64634View attachment 64629View attachment 64627 View attachment 64631View attachment 64628 View attachment 64630 View attachment 64633 View attachment 64632

link for download. is there all emu bg what i have
https://files.fm/u/hxqrzcba#_
update some bad file before, 6MB file is right

little instruction for using
View attachment 64665

little update. rebuild final burn and add game&watch

2016-10-04-222039.jpg 2016-10-04-215449.jpg 2016-10-04-222050.jpg

there file with all bg

https://files.fm/u/777hyphc#_

Last edited by FX3200,

Aliminator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is this the right place to ask questions about the emulators? (If not please guide me the way to it)

First question, is there a way to change the user interface of retroarch?

Is it possible to specify a rom folder, so that I dont have to navigate through my folders everytime I choose a new game?

Last question regards FBAlpha (fbalpha2012 to be clear), I tried to run Kingdom Grandprix and Art of Fighting, which were stored as a zip files and should be FBAlpha romsets. Both crash back to the menu, do I need to do anything special (or configure anything, or get bios file) to get these running? I must admit Im a newbie, when it comes to Arcade machine Emulation, havent even used it on PC yet, so Im happy for any help.

esneuse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your help all... bios don't found don't appear anymore buuuuut... still dont charge games... when i select the game the emulator return to quick menu... what's wrong? :( the pcsx is incompatible with me?
Try turning "hide unknown extensions" off in the menu. It worked for me.

Last edited by esneuse,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
um crashes.....errr you shouldn't just jump into the middle of a convo without knowing what you are even talking about...

You're right.
Because that's my job.

Any more of this and I'll have to discipline everyone myself. There won't be any flame wars on my thread.

5500 is for japanese PS games, 5501 for US, 5502 for EU

That's exactly what I had written on the OP:
SCPH550X.BIN, where X stands for the region (0 = NTSC-J, 1 = NTSC-U, 2 = PAL).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is this the right place to ask questions about the emulators? (If not please guide me the way to it)

You're in the right place.

First question, is there a way to change the user interface of retroarch?

From the RetroArch menu:
Settings -> Driver -> Menu Driver.
Currently, rgui and xmb are the only currently functioning interfaces; glui has font display issues thus far.
I recommend XMB, simply for the bigger viewport.
(Also, make sure whenever you make changes to "Save Current Config", otherwise your changes will be discarded.

Is it possible to specify a rom folder, so that I dont have to navigate through my folders everytime I choose a new game?

Once again, from the RetroArch menu:
Settings -> Directory -> File Browser Directory.
Navigate to where you have your ROMs.
Keep in mind, however, that this is a global option; you'll still have to navigate to the exact folder where the system-in-question's appropriate file formats are located. I recommend keeping everything in a global "ROMS" directory with each system organized in individual folders, and directing the default directory to this one.
And again, save current config.

Last question regards FBAlpha (fbalpha2012 to be clear)

And there's your problem.
FBAlpha2012 Version does NOT work; use the .VPK marked "fbalpha_libretro" WITHOUT the 2012 suffix.
Also, make sure for Neo-Geo games that you have your neogeo.zip in the same directory; preferably with UniBIOS for ease-of-use sake.

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question regarding FBA:

Is there a way to map the "test switch" or access the DIP switch menu? I would like to use the test switch to correct a bad EEPROM error in some Konami games, and the DIP switch to mess with difficuty settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think